What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st ODI: India v Australia at Vadodara Oct 25 2009

TheParraboy

Staff member
Day game over there starting 9am

so starts around 3pm over here I think AEST

Hang on to your seats, there is 6 more games to come :crazy:

http://www.cricinfo.com/indvaus2009/content/story/430859.html

Johnson keen to open the batting

Cricinfo staff

October 23, 2009

Mitchell Johnson has set his sights on one day opening the batting for Australia in Twenty20 or ODI cricket as his all-round talents continue to impress. Johnson scored his first Test hundred in Cape Town this year and was a valuable striker at the Champions Trophy, where his thumping 73 from 47 balls saved Australia's blushes against a second-string West Indies.

"I know it is a big call but I wouldn't mind opening the batting in one-day or Twenty20 cricket," Johnson told the Daily Telegraph. "I would quite enjoy it. It would be hard as we have so many great players in the side but if there was ever an opportunity I would definitely put my hand up to bat higher. I think batting No.8 in Tests is okay for the moment."

Johnson has never batted higher than No. 8 in a one-day international but he said that during the Champions Trophy, he was often preparing to be a potential pinch-hitter. It seems only a matter of time before he will be get a chance to move up the order and take advantage of the one-day fielding restrictions.

"There were times in the one-day series when I padded up early for Powerplays," he said. "It was scary as I had never done it before. It is something I reckon I would enjoy."

Johnson is embarking on the limited-overs tour of India with a thirst for wickets, having thrived there during the 2007-08 series, when he topped the wicket tally with 14 at 18.57. He is keen to return to his fast, fearsome style after an up-and-down few months.

"I look at the wickets I got in the past and I was unpredictable," Johnson said. "I was trying to be too perfect with my line and length in England but guys like Michael Clarke and Ricky Ponting say just bowl fast.

"The prime example is Shaun Tait. He is unpredictable and fast. He will occasionally bowl wide balls but will get wickets. I guess you learn your role. I went through that stage where I was thinking about swinging the ball so much that I stopped swinging it. If I swing the ball it is a bonus."

Last edited:

Ridders

Coach
I would definitely like to see Johnson play a larger role in our batting line up for limited over's games. I just hate having him come in with only a short amount of overs to do the damage.

Whether opener is the spot or not is another argument.

aussies1st

Staff member
With no Haddin or Warner these is still a chance but with Marsh returning it might not happen now. The main problem moving him is we lose his destructive finish although Lee showed he can do similar.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to see Hughes given a go as well.

May as well use a series like this to try something new.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Johnson could be used as a floater in the order, when we need some quick runs throw him in there.

beads6

First Grade
I'd like to see Hughes given a go as well.

May as well use a series like this to try something new.

Hughes will get his chance he is probably more suited to the one day game. The problem for Hughes is that there is so many options at opener at the moment.

beads6

First Grade
Johnson will be used in the power plays IMO. Ponting and co realise he is very damaging and will use him accordingly.

TheParraboy

Staff member
costly error there by india, no first slip, 2nd slip got a finger on it

1/33 in the 7th

TheParraboy

Staff member
Ponting always gets a ton in his first game of a series, youd put your house on him getting a ton here

2/108 in the 21st over

beads6

First Grade
Ponting is in special touch hopefully he can make a huge score. White and his hitting could be handy shortly..... As soon as Punter gets the Ton he should take the batting powerplay...

Latest posts