What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: West Indies v England at Antigua, April 13-17 2015

Because he seems like a total prick.

He basically admitted depression had nothing to do with it and it was 'burnout'.
Suddenly Johnson was terrorizing him and he was burned out?

As far as I'm concerned he bailed on his team mates when they needed him, as did Swann.
He seemed to be playing a packed cricket calender just fine when England was doing well.

Even before this incident he had a bit of a reputation as a smug upstart. If I recall correctly he had a physical confrontation with the Pakistani's during the whole spot fixing thing, I'm pretty sure it was him as well who told a bunch of kids to f--- off when asked for an autograph.

Don't like him.

Never been a fan of Trott. IIRC he was part of Prior's mob who enjoyed giving it to other players within the English squad. Happy to be corrected if that's not right but I am sure he was one of them.

Swann is the biggest twat of lot, bailed once the ship had sailed. No chance of winning the Ashes so instead of trying to salvage the series in any way he hops the next flight home. Especially how vocal he was the prior series when England won he wasn't going to hang around for the fallout. Gutless merkin.

vvvrulz

Coach
Never been a fan of Trott. IIRC he was part of Prior's mob who enjoyed giving it to other players within the English squad. Happy to be corrected if that's not right but I am sure he was one of them.

Swann is the biggest twat of lot, bailed once the ship had sailed. No chance of winning the Ashes so instead of trying to salvage the series in any way he hops the next flight home. Especially how vocal he was the prior series when England won he wasn't going to hang around for the fallout. Gutless merkin.

Totally agree on Swann, and he had the nerve to jump into the press and lay into his fellow team mates with destructive arrogant remarks. Warne is a prick but he's earned the right as a cricketer to have a few words, Swann wasn't even really that good.

I definitely got the feeling that Swann/Prior/Trott/Anderson/Broad had formed a little gang of merkins who would strut about and harrass other team members. This mob was riding on the school of 2005 (Freddie, Vaughan, KP, Tresco, Hoggard, the Jones's) and their success, the difference was they fought the Aussies hard to win the Ashes. Australia struck back and England fell apart.

KP isn't exactly a saint but I actually believe his story about being alienated and the bullying culture within the team. Poor Cook was made a scapegoat too, none of this was his fault.

I feel very sorry for Cook, I think he's a very likeable bloke and a good cricketer. The English captaincy destroyed him... They took one of their best batsmen and turned him into an ineffective mess with all the locker room infighting.

simmo1

First Grade
Trott was one of the victims of the bullying thing. I'm sure Pietersen claimed it was him and guys like Panesar (ie. the shit fielders) who copped it the worst.

JJ

Immortal
yeah, that's what I thought... anyway, I have no problem with him at all, very good player and hopefully he has his demons under control

Trott was one of the victims of the bullying thing. I'm sure Pietersen claimed it was him and guys like Panesar (ie. the shit fielders) who copped it the worst.

OK, like I said I couldn't be certain. Always happy to be corrected.

Swann is still a merkin though.

Timbo

Staff member
Yeah, Swann was someone I always used to like then he showed his true colours. One of the most spineless characters in world sport. And the way he still throws cheap shots on twitter...

At least KP wants to try and fight back to fix the mess.

vvvrulz

Coach
Yeah, Swann was someone I always used to like then he showed his true colours. One of the most spineless characters in world sport. And the way he still throws cheap shots on twitter...

At least KP wants to try and fight back to fix the mess.

Yeah I got a lot of respect for KP amongst this whole saga, he always maintained he wants to keep playing and he was pushed out rather than bailing himself.

JJ

Immortal
Sorry, but what Pieterson did to Strauss was unforgivable - at the end of the day the Poms have had two pretty decent blokes (Strauss and Cook) as their leaders, and Pieterson has screwed them both over near as I can tell... Not to say that Prior and Swan aren't merkins too - a team with that many merkins floating about can only be decent for a limited time I'd imagine

vvvrulz

Coach
Sorry, but what Pieterson did to Strauss was unforgivable - at the end of the day the Poms have had two pretty decent blokes (Strauss and Cook) as their leaders, and Pieterson has screwed them both over near as I can tell... Not to say that Prior and Swan aren't merkins too - a team with that many merkins floating about can only be decent for a limited time I'd imagine

:lol: Yeah he's a twat too no question, but seems like the lesser of many evils.

KP is a prima donna and obviously clashed with all the captains / coaches after Vaughan & Fletcher. But he seemed more like a kid who never grew up as opposed to these other pricks, at least KP had the actual talent to back it up.

The rest of the England team rode on a few golden years and then turned to crap as soon as Mitch tormented them. Before that there was talk of Prior = Gilchrist, Anderson = Steyn, Cook will get Tendulkar's century record, Swann vs Murali, Bell is the most stylish player in the world, blah blah blah.

It was almost as bad as Indian player glorification (almost).

vvvrulz

Coach
11102732_371151919741645_6629197020842582553_n.jpg

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Yograj Singh

Disagrees

“Dhoni was nothing. He has become a God in cricket just because of media,” Yograj told a Hindi news channel.
“Media has crowned him as a great which he never deserved.
“There was a time when he had nothing but today he sits in front of media and rips off the media persons.
“He laughs at media who has given him so much hype. He laughs at the Indian people who clap when he scores a run.
“Honestly, if I were a media person, I would have slapped Dhoni right there.”
LINK
Feel the love

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
same could be said for us, he is our highest paid cricketer for some strange reason

Arthur Daily

Juniors
Sorry, but what Pieterson did to Strauss was unforgivable - at the end of the day the Poms have had two pretty decent blokes (Strauss and Cook) as their leaders, and Pieterson has screwed them both over.

Bingo.
Pieterson has had his go and committed an act of bastardy on both his captains. He should and is banned from further representation for England.
You don't text/tell your oppostion how to get your captain out. If I was a current player or coach I wouldn't want him as my teammate.
If England are desperate enough to bring him back for the ashes rest ashore the game plan will be texted to Warnie the second the ink dries.
He is untrustworthy.

Last edited:

Mr Spock!

Referee
Great start

Stuart Broad injury scare adds insult to England’s high farce in St Kitts

• Broad has lengthy treatment after slipping in delivery stride
• Jonathan Trott, playing for St Kitts XI, dismissed for three-ball duck
• Alastair Cook scores century but England fail to record victory

It is perhaps apt that the final “match” of the Paul Downton era at the England & Wales Cricket Board is this farce of a non-event. As the tourists went through the motions in what transpired to be a glorified net session at Warner Park, news broke that the managing director of England cricket had been sacked.

Downton, in his now defunct role, would have given the final sign-off for these two warm-up games which precede the three-Test series against West Indies. But even he could not have predicted how meaningless they would become.

The opening two-day tour match here this week was eventually drawn when the St Kitts & Nevis Invitation XI, bowled out for 59 in their first innings, clung on for 35 overs in their second despite the fact they were at one point reduced to 24 for six.

Such is the low-grade quality of the opposition England, attempting to gain some meaningful practice before next week’s first Test in Antigua, were forced to loan Jonathan Trott, Gary Ballance, Jonny Bairstow and Joe Root to their hosts for this second warm-up.

To say things did not go to plan is an understatement as Trott, dismissed for a third-ball duck by Jimmy Anderson, and Ballance, spun out on 17 by James Tredwell, both failed to capitalise on their unexpected chances for more time in the middle.

Bairstow did make the most of his opportunity with the bat, however, scoring a fluent 98 before eventually being dismissed by Ben Stokes in the first over after tea. That said, the Yorkshire wicketkeeper-batsman, in the Caribbean only as back-up to Jos Buttler, has little chance of playing in the Tests.

Asked about Downton’s departure afterwards, Bairstow said: “We just found out at lunch. No one said anything, it was straight back out and get on with our job out here in St Kitts. I don’t know what the role entails or anything like that, it’s a decision that’s taken above us. It’s our job out here to get on with the task at hand and win a series for England.”

Bairstow’s departure brought Root to the crease, a surprise given he had not been expected to bat. Yet he looked in better touch than during his innings of 64 earlier in the week, reaching the close unbeaten on 87.

An injury scare for Stuart Broad added to the sense of chaos on a day that had begun with the touring party unaware of Downton’s fate. The quick had complained to the umpires about a damp patch on the crease after bowling three balls of the second over of the day.

Groundstaff were summoned for running repairs and with sawdust applied, Broad continued and slipped during his delivery stride, turning his left ankle. The fall was dramatic and the treatment by the England physio, Craig de Weymarn, lengthy.

An injury to one of their key bowlers five days before the opening Test was the last thing England needed. Thankfully it was short-lived as Broad, who spent an hour off the field getting the ankle iced, returned to bowl without any apparent discomfort and took a wicket during the final session, knocking out the off stump of the home captain, Jacques Taylor.

It had become obvious very quickly how bad the St Kitts & Nevis XI were in this week’s first game so it was no surprise when any pretence of the second of these warm-ups actually being a match was dropped on Tuesday evening.

The tourists will also include some of their bowlers – likely to be Mark Wood and Liam Plunkett – in the St Kitts & Nevis team when the England XI spend a day batting on Thursday.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/apr/08/stuart-broad-injury-england-st-kitts-west-indies

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Windies win the toss and elect to bowl.

Bit of humour to start with, Broad listed as an all rounder on the team list

Latest posts