What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 Million watch US v Aust

Hurriflatch

Referee
Injuries temper ratings winner
By Dean Ritchie
December 2, 2004

IT was among the most watched matches in league history but debate raged last night whether yesterday's international between Australia and the US should have been played.

In a staggering first half, the unheralded and amateur US Tomahawks led 24-6 at halftime and were poised to cause one of the all-time great upsets.

But the smiles on the Australian players' faces in the first half disappeared and five second-half tries saw the visitors end their Tri-Nations campaign with a 36-24 win.

And millions of people through America and Australia watched the match unfold.

The game, played in Philadelphia, was broadcast live in prime time on Fox Sports World throughout America into 20 million homes.

Ratings in Australia - despite the match kicking off at 11.45am - were also strong, with official figures to be released today.

A slightly disappointing crowd of around six to eight thousand attended the match at Franklin Field in freezing temperatures and with rain falling through the second half.

But injuries to Bulldogs forwards Willie Mason and Mark O'Meley flung open debate over the merits of yesterday's international.

Mason injured his foot scoring the try which finally gave Australia the lead in the 64th minute. He could miss February's World Club Challenge against Leeds in England. And O'Meley, who already required elbow surgery, is also likely to miss the Leeds match after injuring his knee yesterday.

Asked was he a supporter of yesterday's expansion match, Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad said: "On what I have found out about our injuries I'd have to say no.

"There is a question mark over such a game although it is spreading rugby league around the world. It is probably the wrong time to ask me."

Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald added: "I'm not a supporter. I don't think we can expand our game internationally other than in PNG and New Zealand."

However, the comments of Noad and Fitzgerald contrasted with those of Sharks general manager Steve Rogers.

"I am supportive [of the expansion match]. It is important we try and develop the game in all areas," Rogers said. "If America ever gets a grasp on our game they will be a real player.

"I'm at a loss as to why they haven't already given that they love brutal sports and we've certainly got that."

Australian captain Darren Lockyer spoke for the rugby league world by admitting he was stunned at halftime.

"They surprised us a bit," Lockyer said. "We had our work cut out in the second half."

NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley described the event as a "success".

"What the Americans learned tonight will help them in their eight-team competition, which will be increased to 10 teams next year," Annesley said.

"I am satisfied with the night. Let's just see what the wash-up is."

t-ba

Post Whore
Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald added: "I'm not a supporter. I don't think we can expand our game internationally other than in PNG and New Zealand."

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) .

I can't wait until the Pokie tax destroys his financial clout...

Hurriflatch

Referee
But when Noad or Folkes say it's a bad idea you agree with the right :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Don't get me wrong I disagree with Fitzy on this but I also disagree with Folkes, Noad, Richardson etc

t-ba

Post Whore
Read what the idiot said this time.

I haven't heard Noad (He even said he understands this helps to spread RL) said the only hope the game has is a couple of Melanesian tribesmen and some Sheepshaggers...

The man is unbelievably divisive. The sooner he is gotten rid of the sooner the game will be rid of a cancer...

t-ba

Post Whore
DIEHARD said:
But is 20 mill the reach of Fox Sports World or the actual ratings?

I'd say the Former. I'd say the AMNRL would be delirious if the game was watched by 6% of the USA...

Bazal

Post Whore
t-ba the hutt said:
Read what the idiot said this time.

I haven't heard Noad (He even said he understands this helps to spread RL) said the only hope the game has is a couple of Melanesian tribesmen and some Sheepshaggers...

The man is unbelievably divisive. The sooner he is gotten rid of the sooner the game will be rid of a cancer...

Noad was quoted in this article :roll: :roll: Use your eyes please. You may not agree with Fitz, I may not agree with Fitz, but insulting him won't help matters. He has voiced an opinion, what;s wrong with that? Your opinion is ok to voice, but not his? :roll:

Hurriflatch

Referee
Asked was he a supporter of yesterday's expansion match, Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad said: "On what I have found out about our injuries I'd have to say no.

"There is a question mark over such a game although it is spreading rugby league around the world. It is probably the wrong time to ask me."

Clear enough for you idiot?

t-ba

Post Whore
Noad: (Who has lost Mason Injury)

Dumb f*ck from Parra: (Who lost no one...)

So Bazal, you reckon we should pack it in, Forget about Britain, France, Russia and all the Rest and Just play against the Kumuls and the Kiwis?

t-ba

Post Whore
Noad doesn't think the game is a lost cause outside of the South Pacific...Fitzy Does...Clear enough for Both of you apologetic idiots?

Hurriflatch

Referee
So because Mason got injured Noad is allowed ot hate international RL

You really are dumber then you look

I never knew someone could be as stupid as you and still know how to breath

t-ba

Post Whore
Hurriflatch said:

No dipsh*t. Noad understands that the game is important to the development of International RL, and is quoted as saying so you moron. Fitzy reckons the game served no puprose whatsoever and the game can only hope to expand in PNG and NZ.

GET THE DIFFERENCE YOU IDIOT????

DIEHARD

----
t-ba the hutt said:
DIEHARD said:

I'd say the Former. I'd say the AMNRL would be delirious if the game was watched by 6% of the USA...

Yea, still Im sure the Aussie ratings will be good, esspecially coupled with the replay ratings. And the Yanky ratings will hopefully be promising.

t-ba

Post Whore
DIEHARD said:
t-ba the hutt said:
DIEHARD said:

Yea, still Im sure the Aussie ratings will be good, esspecially coupled with the replay ratings. And the Yanky ratings will hopefully be promising.

If the game was watched for more than a quarter by 1 million people, I'd count it as a success.

Hurriflatch

Referee
t-ba the hutt said:
Hurriflatch said:

No dipsh*t. Noad understands that the game is important to the development of International RL, and is quoted as saying so you moron. Fitzy reckons the game served no puprose whatsoever and the game can only hope to expand in PNG and NZ.

GET THE DIFFERENCE YOU IDIOT????

puprose??

your calling me an idiot and you have not even mastered english

Bazal

Post Whore
t-ba the hutt said:

So Bazal, you reckon we should pack it in, Forget about Britain, France, Russia and all the Rest and Just play against the Kumuls and the Kiwis?

As I said genius, I don't necessarily agree with him, but he has just as much right to express his opinion as you do. I believe RL in the USA is feasible over the long term, Fitz doesn't. I don't believe RL is feasible in Brazil, are you gonna harpoon me for that? Moron. Just cos Noad lost players to injury, that gives him a right to disagree with the game being played? You are an idiot of the highest order. Get out and don't come back until you have something constructive to say, rather than insulting people just because you dislike his opinion and club.

t-ba

Post Whore
Bazal said:
t-ba the hutt said:

As I said genius, I don't necessarily agree with him, but he has just as much right to express his opinion as you do. I believe RL in the USA is feasible over the long term, Fitz doesn't. I don't believe RL is feasible in Brazil, are you gonna harpoon me for that? Moron. Just cos Noad lost players to injury, that gives him a right to disagree with the game being played? You are an idiot of the highest order. Get out and don't come back until you have something constructive to say, rather than insulting people just because you dislike his opinion and club.

Even though you have completely missed my point, I'm quite happy that you've used your priviledge to exercise free speech of opinion about my exercising free speech of opinion on another individual exercising free speech of opinion. I hope you understand the irony of crticizing somebody for attacking somebody on thier opinions on the ground of free expression of opinions...I'm entitled to an opinion on an opinion you know!!!

Noad understands the value of the game, Fitzgerald is completely negative and defeatist in tone...not particularly promising from one of the Games biggest clubs.

Bazal

Post Whore
t-ba the hutt said:
Bazal said:
t-ba the hutt said:

Even though you have completely missed my point, I'm quite happy that you've used you priviledge to exercise free speech of opinion about my exercising free speech of opinion on another individual exercising free speech.

Noad understands the value of the game, Fitzgerald is completely negative and defeatist in tone...not particularly promising from one of the Games biggest clubs.

If Fitz is of the opinion that RL is not feasible in the US, what value can he see in the game? That;s an idiotic point. And who are you to say he is wrong? No-one can read the future, maybe RL has no future in the states. You had a go at Fitz's opinion, yet call me a hypocrite when I call you on it :roll: Try again. I don't care if you think Fitz is a di@#head, but he has a right to an opinion, as you have the right to think he is a d@#$head.

Hurriflatch

Referee
excatly and I have the right to thin k your a D***Head for thinking Fitzy is a D***head

err, I think I got that one right?

seriously though. As I said I think that RL can make it in the US but it seems people only bag Fitzy when others are saying the same thing. Richardson who didn't even have any players thought the idea was stupid at least Fitzgerald with Hindmarsh and Petersen in the game had some players wh oculd've been injured yet Richardson gets no where near the same bagging Fitzgerald copped.

I wonder if Ricky Stuart had suggested that Coversions should be scrapped what the reaction would've been?

t-ba

Post Whore
And I have the Right to call his opinion sh*thouse, which I did. I also ahve the right to make the observation, that in addition to previous comments made in regards to the state of the game and its future prospects, that Fitzgerald is a negative wank who'd sooner be playing with a Soccer or a Union Franchise than care about the real sport he is involved in.

You fail to notice the irony of the old 'free speech' chestnut as well. I've passed judgement on his comments, you've condemned my passing judgement while also protecting his right to pass judgement.