What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2005 Semi - Was Trent Barrett Held?

Was Trent Barrett held?

• Total voters
After four years of debate I want to know what people think, As a Tigers fan I still cop it from certain Dragons fans that Barrett was NOT held and that turned the game.

Personally I think he was held DEFINITELY by Laffranchi.

Fire away.

Bubbles

Mr Saab

Referee
Was Matthew Ridge held in the 1996 GF...thats bugged me for years also.
Did Harrigan err in penalising Bruce McGuire for using Steve Walters as a shield in 1989?
Did Darcy Lawler have connections to the Dragons in the 1960s...

Eels Dude

Coach
Unless you have a youtube link to that incident or something, cannot answer, do not even remember. I doubt too many people would have a clear memory of something 4 years ago. I don't even recall it being a controversy at the time... though I avoided the papers and media that entire week after Parra's choke.

Danish

Referee
Barrett got tackled, hit the deck with Lafranchi holding on.

bounced straight up and kept going, was penalised.

The ref was calling held, but Barrett claimed not to have heard him and tried to go back to the mark to play it if I recall.

It was a cut and dry penalty as Barrett ran easily 5-10m off the mark.

It was in the set after Barrett scored his try to close the gap to 4. The momentum was starting to swing and set from the penalty saw the Tigers score and extend the gap back to 8.

Unless you have a youtube link to that incident or something, cannot answer, do not even remember. I doubt too many people would have a clear memory of something 4 years ago. I don't even recall it being a controversy at the time... though I avoided the papers and media that entire week after Parra's choke.

I tried to find one and could not.

ouwet

Bench
:lol: Who cares... Did Terry Lamb knock out Hanley in 1988? I still love it when Balmain supporters bring that one up:lol:... With or without Hanley, the Tiger's had no chance...

ouwet

Bench

Was a GREAT week... Dragons & Parramatta both choke, doesn't get any better Although i also avoided the paper... The DT had a love fest with the Swans that week.

Firedrake

Coach
50/50 call. Should have been sent back to the mark (due to the defening noise) to play the ball. Fairest outcome.

RufusRex

Post Whore
an irksome rule and one that would easily be avoided by the ref just blowing the whistle and saying go back to the mark (like a held up delay) - after all the only team disadvantaged would be the ball carriers as the defence has time to set.

i thought he wasnt held but i am totally biased.

brooksy19

Bench
1989 Harrigan / Walters / McGuire one has to be the worst call in history. That's what f**ked us, not the missed field goal or the ankle tap.

Canard

Immortal
1989 Harrigan / Walters / McGuire one has to be the worst call in history. That's what f**ked us, not the missed field goal or the ankle tap.

At the time, that was never made up as a big deal during the game or even after it. Warren Ryan substituting Blocker and Sirro was the big story after they match, from a Balmain perspective.

As a neutral that was the best GF of all time. Well played by all 34 (was it 17 a side in 89?) players.

Its easy to blame the ref, but looking at it objectively Balmain had chances to win the game and didn't take them.

If its any solice, that Canberra team was one of the greatest club sides of all time, Meninga, Clyde, Daley, Walters, Stuart etc.

As for the incident raised in the thread, It must have been fart in the wind, cause I can't even remember it being a big deal and it was only 4 years ago, yet something from 20 years ago is still talked about.

Last edited:

jpaciocco91

Juniors
I honestly don't remember the Barrett incident
All I remember is that that day, Saturday, September 24, 2005 was the date we became known as the "chokers".
And some crazy little Tigers fans became imitating Benji's stepping at Central Station on the way back.
Funny kids.