What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 Player updates

Kingytek

Juniors
Kicking off 2006 with a listing of a current signings. Obviously the listed NRL players have been pegged for our top 25 squad but in 2006 the feeders and juniors are the players to watch out for. In this thread I would like to encourage updates and discussion so we can keep on eye on our Talent development.

NRL
Preston Campbell (Penrith)
Luke Bailey (Dragons)
Brian Carney (UK)
Anthony Laffranchi (West Tigers)
Matt Petersen (Parramatta)
Luke O'Dwyer (Parramatta)
Nathen Friend (Melbourne)
Scott Prince (West Tigers)

Feeders
@ Burleigh
Grant Purdon (Penrith)
Marty Mitchell (Bulldogs)
Matt Riddle (South Sydney)
Josh Blatch (Canberra)
@Tweed
Chris Elanoro (South Sydney)
@Ipswich
Brendon Marshall (Mt Isa)
Aaron Wurth (Gatton)
Travis Baker (Sydney)

Development\Juniors
Bodene Thompson (Keebra)
Chris Sandow (Marsden)
Luke Krauss (Currumbin-Tugun)
Travis Drought (Currumbin-Tugun)
Ryan Simpkins (Tugun)
Kevin Pease (Burleigh)
Brodie Williams (Tweed)
Matthew Francis (Keebra)
Mitchell Herlihy (TSS)

I dont have a full listing of the feeder squads for 2006, so I will update this listing as I get my hands on it. If you know of any updates in the above sections, PM me and I will update it.

Daza_06

Juniors
Matt Riddle made his debut for Souths this yr i think or the yr before not sure but since then i havent heard a word about him. Does anybody what happened to him when he was at the Bulldogs he was a promising player must have been injured with souths this season??? Tell us if u know anything about the guy

Kingytek

Juniors
Not sure about Matt, but will watch his performance for Burleigh this year very closely. I will try and make it some bears games plus whoever players the Easts Tigers.
Things will definately heat up after June 30 2006.

Redback71

First Grade
how great were our boys on friday and saturday in: scott prince, preston campbell, luke baily and anthony laffranchi all had excellent games:)

Kingytek

Juniors
Extremly solid games from our forwards Bailey and Laffranchi. Princey played well on Friday night. Anyone know how Petersen went?
I also heard Carney debuted well!!!

The Colonel

Immortal
Kingytek said:
Was he captain on the weekend Big Mick?

Sure did. This kid is a future Titans captain IMO and that of a few others. He had a great game - made a few breaks and set up a great try. While the bloke may be a bit small he makes up for it through his work ethic. Sad to see him go.

Petersen was 18th man and didn't take the field in either grade.

damo72

Juniors
I am pretty sure that Travis Baker that is listed for the Jets, but from Sydney is originally from Ipswich anyway as I know I played centre in Ipswich and Travis Baker was the fullback, very elusive and talented player if it is the same one.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Kingytek said:
Feeders
@ Burleigh
Grant Purdon (Penrith)
Marty Mitchell (Bulldogs)
Matt Riddle (South Sydney)
Josh Blatch (Canberra)
@Tweed
Chris Elanoro (South Sydney)
@Ipswich
Brendon Marshall (Mt Isa)
Aaron Wurth (Gatton)
Travis Baker (Sydney)

Development\Juniors
Bodene Thompson (Keebra)
Chris Sandow (Marsden)
Luke Krauss (Currumbin-Tugun)
Travis Drought (Currumbin-Tugun)
Ryan Simpkins (Tugun)
Kevin Pease (Burleigh)
Brodie Williams (Tweed)
Matthew Francis (Keebra)
Mitchell Herlihy (TSS)
I still cant understand this :? someone please educate me on wat kingytek is saying here.

Kingytek

Juniors
novacastrian_panther said:
I still cant understand this :? someone please educate me on wat kingytek is saying here.

Please be a little bit more specific about 'wat' you don't understand and I'll try and explain it in terms you may understand.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
I dont know what you mean wen u r saying like the juniors and then in brackets ya hav a team in the nrl.

Kingytek

Juniors
Sounds like Chris is playing well...We should see him play for one of the feeders next year in prep for first grade.....

IT WAS spectacular and controversial and in the long run the good guys won. Queensland raised its first victory over New South Wales this year with a 42-16 win in the Under 17s prelude to Origin II.
In one of the most eye-catching curtain-raisers in recent Origin times, Queensland responded from a 16-14 halftime deficit to storm home in front of a rabid hometown crowd.
The match was already set to make headlines before the game began, with five New South Wales players withdrawn for misbehaving at Sydney Airport.
Come game time and it took just four minutes for fans to be talking about something else.
Lurking out wide, Queensland winger Michael Cummins scooped up a loose ball and raced 80m before being mowed down in impressive fashion by Blues custodian Zoram Watene.
Three minutes later and the fans were again on their feet, this time for Watene’s counterpart, ever-cheeky Maroons fullback Chris Sandow.
Already being compared to Matt Bowen, Sandow produced a freakish effort over 70m, showing the defenders the ball, jinking around them, producing a fantastic fend and then racing away to score.
New South Wales saw fit to respond in similar manner and a spectacular try to William Isa in the 12th minute leveled the score 4-all.
Isa chased down a grubber inches inside the dead-ball line and with no video assistance, referee Justin Davis produced the correct call under pressure.
The visiting Blues moved ahead 10-4 when skipper Mitchell Pearce plucked an intercept and ran almost 100m untouched.
Although the long-range efforts were crowd-pleasing, Maroons fans became anxious once more when Sandow sent another intercept to the waiting Daniel Mortimer.
A try in between to Queensland backrower Kevin Proctor and one just moments before halftime to Ben Jones allayed their fears somewhat.
Down by two points at the break, the Maroons were challenged with ending New South Wales dominance at all levels in 2006.
They responded magnificently, trapping New South Wales in-goal on one of their earliest attacking plays.
Highly-rated centre Israel Folau also broke the shackles which had been imposed in the first half, coming into his own with strong running out wide.
The Norths Devils colt produced a wonderful one-handed pass while being tackled to put Cummins in the clear and start a sudden deluge of tries.
In the blink of an eye Queensland raced in two more four-pointers, the next to Chris Sandow, who collected a bomb, dived over and then raised the ‘Q’ emblem on his chest to the crowd.
Folau then snared a try of his own, running a good line onto a pass and proving too powerful and evasive for the NSW defence.
All of a sudden it was 30-14 and the home side could do no wrong. Even when Queensland botched its opportunities, it did so in fortuitous fashion.
A point in case was a crazy ad-lib play on the last tackle, where one player kicked the ball 20m backwards to a teammate. The ball was subsequently kicked again, but with the majority of chasers at least 30m offside. Somehow the ball found touch just metres out from the tryline.
The dying stages brought two more tries to Queensland; hard-working forwards Joel Romelo and Billy Rogers justly rewarded.
In the wash-up New South Wales did not deserve to be beaten by as much, but it was unlikely any sympathy was felt along the rows of Suncorp Stadium.

QUEENSLAND U17 42 (Chris Sandow 2, Ben Jones, Israel Folau, Michael Cummins, Billy Rogers, Joel Romelo, Kevin Proctor tries; Chris Sandow 4, Galu Te’o goals) d NEW SOUTH WALES U17 16 (Mitchell Pearce, Daniel Mortimer, William Isa tries; Daniel Mortimer 2 goals) at Suncorp Stadium.