What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2007 Rookie of the Year Award

Dragooner

Bench
A thread like this has surely done the rounds but now we are at the buisness end of the season, who do YOU see as the Rookie of the Year and who do you think will offically take out the crown?

The main contender are:

Josh Morris - Dragons
Israel Folau - Storm
Michael Jennings - Panthers
Krisnan Inu - Eels
Luke Walsh - Knights
Corey Paterson - Knights

But there are several others who are more than capable of taking out the crown like Zillman, Te'o, Stanley etc.

Of course in my eyes I think Slippery Jnr should take it out but honestly I think Jennings deserves it more than anything! He has been great all year in a team that hasn't really clicked through controversy, injuries and a new coach.

However, you can't see anyone other than Folau being officially crowned rookie of the year. He has been great all year. Has broken into the 20's in terms of try-scoring and is soooo unlucky not to have played for Queensland.

Your thoughts...

Dutchy

Immortal
If Jennings and Paterson played in succesfull teams. It would be between them two.

Unfortunately, it will go to that Storm winger who keeps falling over the line.

Rovelli

Bench
Folau will get it.
Inu has also been excellent.
Jennings and Paterson will be great.
Walsh? Jury is out for mine.
Morris? Can't trust his hands.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Saint Dragon said:
and is soooo unlucky not to have played for Queensland....

LOL..QLD only have a million outside backs..of course he was unlucky this year:lol:

lockyno1

Post Whore
Folau will win it, Jennings will be a distant 2nd, then Issac Luke will probally be 3rd. Dave Taylor surely is worth a chance as well, won't win it though.

kav

Juniors
I would plug for South's hooker, Isaac Luke. This guy is a play maker, a game breaker, a tough defender with football maturity beyond his years. He has been instrumental in the Rabbitoh's late season resurgence. His presence on the field is a big plus for Souths. I reckon he will play for the Kiwis this year.

Kav

Mr Dark

Juniors
kav said:
I would plug for South's hooker, Isaac Luke. This guy is a play maker, a game breaker, a tough defender with football maturity beyond his years. He has been instrumental in the Rabbitoh's late season resurgence. His presence on the field is a big plus for Souths. I reckon he will play for the Kiwis this year.

Kav
Had he played all year and not just the second half of the season, he would be a shoe-in for ROTY

mxlegend99

Referee
Jennings and Inu are my top 2 picks. Folau is the player who WILL win it though.

I think Jennings deserves it... and that's trying to be as unbiased as possible. Our team is still in contention for the spoon, and he has 15 tries in his rookie season. He has done the work himself for pretty much every try, and is also responsible for a number of tries that Frank Pritchard and Geoff Daniela have scored.

He has also improved his defence and been responsible for a number of big hits. The best being him dropping Jason Ryles.

Not to say that Folau hasn't been a great player. For his age, he has done extremely well. Although you can't help but feel any number of promising players could do well in a team with that sort of talent.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Folau should and will win it
Jennings not far off the pace, nor Paterson and Zillman. Inu is in amongst it also
Issac Luke would have been a good show but i think he debut too late in the year to accumlate enough points to catch the rest

Luke Walsh? Get the f**k outta here!! :lol:

Dragooner

Bench
By the way...a rookie is classified as someone who made their first-grade debut this year or if they played 3 or less games the year before (providing that was there rookie year). An example of this is just say Rangi Chase. He made his first-grade debut last season but played less than 3 games making him eligible for the rookie of the year award this season.

As for saying you can't trust J Moz's hands, I beg to differ. He has only a made a few slip-ups in terms of taking bombs etc. this season. No more than players such as Inu and Folau.

mxlegend99

Referee
It's a pity that Sammut made his debut this year then, or that it was so far into the season.

He would have been a top candidate for next season. Let's hope that Masada Iosefa gets a nice early debut in first grade next season.

mxlegend99

Referee
4, with this being his 5th.

Debut game against Souths. We won.
Second game against Cowboys. We lost.
Third game against Knights. We won.
Fourth game against Roosters. We won.
Fifth game is against Warriors.

Wish we had gone straight for Sammut when Wesser was injured.

Dragooner

Bench
Well, ashame, if you played him less than 3 times by the end of the season, he would still be eligible for next season's award.