What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2007's side... based on who we currently have

thickos

First Grade
No predictions as to who MAY sign with us, or who may leave. Given the current squad for next year, what's your best 17?

Should be interesting to see this evolve as players leave and sign, to see how people's side changes!

Assuming the player roster is as is,

1. Clinton Schifcofske
2. Colin Best
3. Phil Graham
4. David Howell
5. Craig Frawley
6. Todd Carney
7. Michael Dobson
8. Troy Thompson
9. Lincoln Withers
10. Michael Weyman
11. Thom Learoyd-Lahrs
12. Jason Croker
13. Alan Tongue

14. Willy Zillman
15. Dane Tilse
16. Trevor Thurling
17. Josh Miller

aussies1st

Staff member
thickos said:
No predictions as to who MAY sign with us, or who may leave. Given the current squad for next year, what's your best 17?

Should be interesting to see this evolve as players leave and sign, to see how people's side changes!

Assuming the player roster is as is,

1. Clinton Schifcofske
2. Colin Best
3. Phil Graham
4. David Howell
5. Craig Frawley
6. Todd Carney
7. Michael Dobson
8. Troy Thompson
9. Lincoln Withers
10. Michael Weyman
11. Thom Learoyd-Lahrs
12. Jason Croker
13. Alan Tongue

14. Willy Zillman
15. Dane Tilse
16. Trevor Thurling
17. Josh Miller

I'd second that team, exactly the same players I would pick.

Lime_Green

Juniors
1. Schifcofske
2. Howell
3. Graham
4. Frawley
5. Best
6. Carney
7. Dobson
8. Tilse
9. Withers
10. Thurling
11. TLL
12. Campese
13. Tongue

14. Zillman
15. Chalk
16. Miller
17. Weyman

thickos

First Grade
f**k I've left out Marshall Chalk.

Him in for Frawley.

Tokyo, based on this year's side and contract news it seems Campese, Rothery, Williams, Lomu and Kahler will be around, plus Goodwin, Sau and others in the pack... to be honest I think our depth is ok, but where do you see the problem areas?

Personally I see Smith's absence as the biggest hurdle we face. No one for Todd to have as a 'fall back' plan.

jed

First Grade
I was thinking this morning, if we're planning on using Chalk and Frawley as 2nd rowers, how much versatility is it going to give us if they're named as coming off the bench next season.

1. Clinton Schifcofske
2. Colin Best
3. Phil Graham
4. David Howell
5. William Zillman
6. Todd Carney
7. Michael Dobson
8. Troy Thompson
9. Lincoln Withers
10. Michael Weyman
11. Thom Learoyd-Lahrs
12. Josh Miller
13. Alan Tongue

14. Marshall Chalk
15. Dane Tilse
16. Trevor Thurling
17. Craig Frawley

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Thickos

I am most concerned about the halves/hooker area, where I think we are seriously lacking in both experience and depth. I can handle the idea of either Dobson or Carney in 6 or 7, but both of them together worry me. If one of them does a hamstring then it's Zillman then daylight.

I would also be much, much more comfortable with another couple of proven outside backs. I like the players that we have, but again, it is not many injuries before we start looking very bare.

As far as forwards are concerned, well...we're losing a few and don't have anyone else signed as of now. That must result in reduced depth.

Still, we have a lot of money to spend and I am sure that Furner and Co. will come up with some really good signings.

BSB Raiderman

Juniors
I'd have Zilly in the centres and Hinchy on the bench as he can play hooker or backrow. I'd also start Tilse and utilise Horse as an impact player. Also am starting to like what I see from Purtell and Frawley but someone has to miss out.

1. Clinton Schifcofske
2. Colin Best
3. Phil Graham
4. William Zillman
5. David Howell
6. Todd Carney
7. Michael Dobson
8. Troy Thompson
9. Lincoln Withers
10. Dane Tilse
11. Thom Learoyd-Lahrs
12. Josh Miller
13. Alan Tongue

14. Marshall Chalk
15. Michael Weyman
16. Trevor Thurling
17. Ryan Hinchcliffe

Lime_Green

Juniors
Tokyo_Raider said:
Thickos

I am most concerned about the halves/hooker area, where I think we are seriously lacking in both experience and depth. I can handle the idea of either Dobson or Carney in 6 or 7, but both of them together worry me. If one of them does a hamstring then it's Zillman then daylight.

Yes I agree. We need another half (preferably with some experience) and arguably another hooker. Do we think Hinchcliffe is able to cut the mustard if Withers gets injured? I guess Withers is one of the least injury prone players in our team so that may not be too big a deal.

Another forward or two would be nice as well.

Raider Azz

Bench
don't forget that tounge can cover hooker too lime_green.

i think a couple of second rowers and perhaps another outside back are what's needed.

Does anyone know how much we signed Frawley for? I think he would have been expensive for us and has been a dud unless we got him cheap which I highly doubt.

thickos

First Grade
Well I hope as the signings and departures continue into the silly season people quote or update their sides!

Tokyo, I understand what you mean - there are a lot of eggs in one basket next year considering the youth of so many players in key positions. I think they are good enough, but experience around them is vital - hence I hope Croker stays.

I actually think, depth wise, we're better than we think we are but hopefully Henry snares a couple of top backrowers and three-quarters for us.

I'd love to see Myles, Lillyman, Luke McDougall and Hannay head down the Federal Highway :)

Timbo

Staff member
I really don't like Chalk and Frawley as backrowers. They aren't Rod Jensen and they aren't going to transit as well as he did.

I'd go:

1-Schifcofske
2-Graham
3-Howell
4-Frawley
5-Best
6-Carney
7-Dobson
8-Tilse
9-Withers
10-Weyman
11-Learoyd-Lahrs
12-Tongue
13-Campese

14-Miller
15-Thurling
16-Thompson
17-Zillman

Timbo

Staff member
BSB Raiderman said:
I'd have Zilly in the centres and Hinchy on the bench as he can play hooker or backrow. I'd also start Tilse and utilise Horse as an impact player. Also am starting to like what I see from Purtell and Frawley but someone has to miss out.

1. Clinton Schifcofske
2. Colin Best
3. Phil Graham
4. William Zillman
5. David Howell
6. Todd Carney
7. Michael Dobson
8. Troy Thompson
9. Lincoln Withers
10. Dane Tilse
11. Thom Learoyd-Lahrs
12. Josh Miller
13. Alan Tongue

14. Marshall Chalk
15. Michael Weyman
16. Trevor Thurling
17. Ryan Hinchcliffe

Zilly and Graham in the centres....SBW and co. would be licking their lips at that...

bobbybrown

Juniors
what on earth has happened to Nate Smith...he came back from injury (heard he played well) and then havent heard a thing about him for weeks??

Has he been offered a new contract?

Stuart

Juniors
bobbybrown said:
what on earth has happened to Nate Smith...he came back from injury (heard he played well) and then havent heard a thing about him for weeks??

Has he been offered a new contract?

Got injured again, the club has given him the next month or so to prove to them he deserves a new contract...so hopefully he gets back on the paddock soon

Latest posts