What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2007's side... based on who we currently have

Stuart

Juniors
Tokyo_Raider said:
Thickos

I am most concerned about the halves/hooker area, where I think we are seriously lacking in both experience and depth. I can handle the idea of either Dobson or Carney in 6 or 7, but both of them together worry me. If one of them does a hamstring then it's Zillman then daylight.

I would also be much, much more comfortable with another couple of proven outside backs. I like the players that we have, but again, it is not many injuries before we start looking very bare.

As far as forwards are concerned, well...we're losing a few and don't have anyone else signed as of now. That must result in reduced depth.

Still, we have a lot of money to spend and I am sure that Furner and Co. will come up with some really good signings.

I think its hard to have great depth at hooker or in the halves, not many clubs have.

While our halves are inexperienced IMO its time to risk it, we've spent hte last 2 years delaying their development while the "stopgaps" played FG. At any rate i dont think our depth in either position is that bad. At hooker we have Withers, Tongue and Hinchcliffe (who has been one ot the most consistent PL players 2005/6 and IMO could handle FG pretty effecetively) whihc is adequate.

The halve we have Dobson, Carney, Zillman, Herbert, McCrone and Campese and Withers to cover those guys. While the list is experience weak, it is 'raw' talent strong and would rival most clubs in the competition

Daza_06

Juniors
I think Lillyman would be a great buy but you need to do what happened 2 years ago. Bring in some old heads for the backs especially halves. I'd have Scott Hill top of the list and maybe another experienced campainer. U have 2 in Schifcofske and Crocker but i dont think Crocker is one to lead the youngers

Stuart

Juniors
Daza_06 said:
I think Lillyman would be a great buy but you need to do what happened 2 years ago. Bring in some old heads for the backs especially halves. I'd have Scott Hill top of the list and maybe another experienced campainer. U have 2 in Schifcofske and Crocker but i dont think Crocker is one to lead the youngers

I dont think that is neccessary or warranted as it ties up alot of cash in a position we are strong in, we are just inexperienced. I think that money would be far better spent strengthening the forwards and the outside backs.

If our forward pack is world class, which it has the potential of being with a few astute signings, it makes the job for the halves SOOO much easier.

Macko8

Juniors
heres my two cents

1.Clinton Schifcofske- CAPTAIN
2.David Howell- Looks better next to graham
3.Phil Graham- Speedster.
4.Craig Frawley-im predicting he'll shine in 2007
5.Colin Best-Cant wait to watch in green.
6.Todd Carney- Looked more in control at five-eighth
7.Michael Dobson-Cant wait to watch play
8.Josh Miller- The year off will have made him better n better.
9.Lincoln Withers- He'll shine at hooker,guarantee.
10.Troy Thompson- Marvelous.
11.Tom Learoyd-Lahrs-Enough said
12.Trevor Thurling- Would have more impact in the 2nd row.
13.Alan Tongue- workhorse

14.Ben Jones- If we dont resign jonesy than watch out.......
15.Dane Tilse- Watch tilsey in 2007, he'll expload,offloads and big charges.
16.Michael Weyman- Impact, and a sh*tload of it.
17.William Zillman- Utility, if frawley breaks a nail slot willy into centre otherwise 6 or 7 or 9 perhaps.

sydraider

First Grade
Experience comes with experience, Dobson has been getting some in the ESL and Carney has been getting his share this year.
I would throw them together in the halves, give them some time to gel and not expect the world right from the get go. If we want cohesion in the halves, then persistance will get us there.
Our forward pack will be gangbusters next year, the likes of Weyman, Tilse, Thurling, Thompson and Miller will more than provide a solid platform for these young blokes to work with.

schifcoske
graham
frawley
Zillman
Best
Carney
Withers
thompson
tounge
Weyman
Learoyd lahrs
Miller
Croker

reserves
Lillyman
Williams
Chalk
Sau

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
A lot of faith seemingly put in Dobson, I have my doubts and would like to see us sign a player like Travis Burns from Manly to give us some extra depth in the halves. Zillman/Carney would be my choice based on talent we already have at the club. Not much experience but at least they have played together a lot and from what I have seen of Zillman he should be in the 13 not the 17.

BSB Raiderman

Juniors
Timbo said:
Zilly and Graham in the centres....SBW and co. would be licking their lips at that...

I don't see Zilly any worse defensively to the alternatives and SBW didn't exactly rape Graham this season.

Noticed someone had Scott Hill mentioned, he signed to the UK from memory.

les amber

Juniors
Travis Burns may be a good get. i think we need a 5/8th, watching Carney play 7 seems more natural for him

twistedbydesign

Juniors
I will be interested to see what the club does with Zilly. I havent seen enough of him to espouse a theory as to where his best position is, but I hope the club uses some foresight with him in the next couple of years. I would hate to see him thrown around the backline from week to week like Macca was early on, in my opinion he should be given a role and allowed to develop into it.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
I think half back or 5/8 is where he would be best suited depending on where you think Carney is best suited. Love to see him close to the action backing up any breaks made by the forwards. Unfortunately, barring injuries, I don't think you will see him in the top 17 again this year as it looks like Woolford/ Withers will take a bench spot. For those hoping Lyon might be coming, I think it is almost a done deal he will go to Manly. We may benefit in another position from Manly.

aussies1st

Staff member
Well members here have been suggesting Kite will be released so that Manly can buy Lyon. So maybe he'll finally make the right move to come back home.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Apparently there still after Lyon and Creagh, how they can afford them is a mystery. Maybe they will be getting a unit or two from their sponsor.

peter_raiders

Juniors
Kennedy retiring would free up a fair bit. But you'd expect something in Orford's contract allowing him an upgrade for next year. There was no way they could fit him under for this season.

BSB Raiderman

Juniors
les amber said:
Travis Burns may be a good get. i think we need a 5/8th, watching Carney play 7 seems more natural for him

After the last 2 weeks in particular I see carney as a 5/8th, he is much more dangerous running at 2nd receiver or passing with 2 or 3 guys to work with.
What was the poll result at the GH for the Carney at 6 or 7 poll?

Latest posts