What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Season Guide

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
Timmah said:
Sounds to me like you're whinging for the sake of whinging. Season preview comes out Monday 3 March. Bleat away then.
Sounds to me like all I said was the season guide was a waste of money as usual.

You're the one who had a whinge at me for the sake of a whinge. I wonder if you're such a tosser in real life, or just another keyboard hero looking to boost his post count?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm having a go at you for whinging... you're trying to attack me personally. Who's the keyboard hero?

Timmah

Staff member
Ooooh, five words, ouch. As opposed to full on attacks:

Johnny Bravo said:
I wonder if you're such a tosser in real life, or just another keyboard hero looking to boost his post count?

Johnny Bravo said:
I suggest you drop the attitude Timmah, I know you think you run this forum, but you're just a pathetic fool who'll say anything to boost his post count.

janno

Juniors
I just saw RLW's pre-season magazine, (the one after their top players of the past 30 years mag), and it's crap. I wasted three minutes of my life picking it up and flicking through it.
I'm going to save myself for the Big League season preview - it's usually by far the magazine of the pre-season. I think it's about $8.50 but it's $8.50 well spent IMO.

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
Timmah said:
Ooooh, five words, ouch. As opposed to full on attacks:
I'm sorry, did I attack you initially? My memory must be having problems...

I made a general post about the quality of a product which I think is not up to scratch, you took offense and attacked me for no reason. I'm well within my rights to defend myself and reply in kind.

Perhaps your people skills need some work, if you weren't such a tosser, maybe I wouldn't have used those "personal attacks" that were provoked by your initial actions.

This is the end of the discussion, good talking with the resident forum whore as always.

Timmah

Staff member
So it's my fault you got nasty? :lol: Be the bigger man next time eh? You thought a product wasn't up to scratch, I took you to task for expecting it to be something it's not. it's the SAME guide every year.

By all means keep insulting me, it's funny. It'll probably get moved shortly too :lol:

miccle

Bench
The RLW season guide is the same as ever, and I haven't purchased it in years as a result -- just vote with your wallets, have a browse and DON'T BUY IT if you don't like it. FFS.

I'm not the hugest fan of the mag (prefer Big League tbh) but still buy it regularly and this latest issue isn't a bad read (particularly after 3-odd months of bugger-all league!)

Wicks

Juniors
I dont see why the criticism The main problem here is what you think a guide should be Its semantics ](*,)

The guide and preview differences have been outlined The guide did have some text about players a few years ago but given the space it was simplistic for any general NRL fan

Its fine to say you can access much of the information but not everyone is in the same position and I doubt you could retain all that info

A casual viewer will find it easy to find what they want and at the other extreme someone who wants to know everything can find every little tidbit

There is no way you can get all the information available in the guide online and you cannot get it in one convenient place The NYC players info is difficult to find

It is focused on player statistics but long run factual info ends up being more relevant during an ever changing season In that way it leans towards the sensibility of hardcore fans

I think there is much less repeat value in season previews tbh You are more likely to reuse the season guide again and again

You have experts that have no better idea than us with their
• table predictions and team lineups that are out of date before they are published
• obvious predictions on new stars and other times clearly wrong before a season
• and a general overview of last year/this year which any of us could write

The real value in a preview is when they have some decent long articles or focus within an article on individual players but most of the time you read them once and maybe only your team and some other player of interest You cant expect long articles in a guide

So in the preview we have the articles of varying quality and something for very casual fans Whereas I would say the guide serves hardcore fans better

coolumsharkie

Referee
Johnny Bravo said:
Had a look at the season guide, it's rubbish as usual. Every year the same thing, player squads, club records, and ticketing information. Only thing that changes are the players listed. Nothing so much as a written word that can't be found on a clubs website or nrl.com. It'd be at least nice to one year have an actual preview. Discuss each clubs strengths and weaknesses, new signings and talk a bit about the players.

Waste of $10 again.

I didn't see the new rlw on the shelves though.

I usually pick it up and have a flick through before departing with the hard earns.

I haven't bought it for 2 years for the simple reason (like you) I can get all that info off the net.

Each to his own though.

HevyDevy

Coach
Johnny Bravo said:
It advertises itself as a season guide.
Does a tv guide have descriptions of television shows? Yes

This season guide does not. As I said from a season guide, I expect some text about a club or players that is simply not just a stat. You went off half-cocked and abused me for no reason. For someone with 45,000 posts (get out much?), you'd think you would have thought you'd have learnt some common courtesy by now.

Actually Timmah's right.

My question to you is why you even bothered coming on here to crap on about it - you don't like it so don't buy it. Simple.

Anyway, the season guide was born out of the media guide that is produced (for the media obviously) each year. It was considered that the fans may be interested in that info too and so a season guide was produced which is the media guide with a few minor changes.

HevyDevy

Coach
Wicks said:
I dont see why the criticism The main problem here is what you think a guide should be Its semantics ](*,)

The guide and preview differences have been outlined The guide did have some text about players a few years ago but given the space it was simplistic for any general NRL fan

Its fine to say you can access much of the information but not everyone is in the same position and I doubt you could retain all that info

A casual viewer will find it easy to find what they want and at the other extreme someone who wants to know everything can find every little tidbit

There is no way you can get all the information available in the guide online and you cannot get it in one convenient place The NYC players info is difficult to find

It is focused on player statistics but long run factual info ends up being more relevant during an ever changing season In that way it leans towards the sensibility of hardcore fans

I think there is much less repeat value in season previews tbh You are more likely to reuse the season guide again and again

You have experts that have no better idea than us with their
• table predictions and team lineups that are out of date before they are published
• obvious predictions on new stars and other times clearly wrong before a season
• and a general overview of last year/this year which any of us could write

The real value in a preview is when they have some decent long articles or focus within an article on individual players but most of the time you read them once and maybe only your team and some other player of interest You cant expect long articles in a guide

So in the preview we have the articles of varying quality and something for very casual fans Whereas I would say the guide serves hardcore fans better

:lol:

You'd be surprised how many people used to say that ... then they'd send in their example

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
HevyDevy said:
Actually Timmah's right.

My question to you is why you even bothered coming on here to crap on about it - you don't like it so don't buy it. Simple.

Anyway, the season guide was born out of the media guide that is produced (for the media obviously) each year. It was considered that the fans may be interested in that info too and so a season guide was produced which is the media guide with a few minor changes.
I only posted my opinion on it, and why I won't part with my hard earned for it. Before Timmah went on the offensive.

If he simply said "There is a season preview for that", then I would have left it at that. Instead he wrote an abusive post, to which I replied.

In any case it does not matter, to each their own, I personally think it is a massive waste of cash.

coolumsharkie

Referee
HevyDevy said:
Actually Timmah's right.

No he's not and neither are you in this instance, if he wants to post his opinion of it (that its crap) then why can't he?

Then again if you have bought one in previous years, then why would you expect it to be any different, I don't.

HevyDevy

Coach
Except that Johnny didn't post an opinion, he stated it as if it were fact.

Obviously Timmah did the same.

For the record, I would never buy the season guide myself - not overly interested - if I was a fan so in that sense I agree with Johnny.

Conversely, I also know what it's purpose is - which is NOT to be a season preview - so in that sense I agree with Timmah.

Oh, and I do like your sig sharkie

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
HevyDevy said:
Except that Johnny didn't post an opinion, he stated it as if it were fact.

Obviously Timmah did the same.

For the record, I would never buy the season guide myself - not overly interested - if I was a fan so in that sense I agree with Johnny.

Conversely, I also know what it's purpose is - which is NOT to be a season preview - so in that sense I agree with Timmah.

Oh, and I do like your sig sharkie
Let me break down my initial post for you

This is an opinion...
Had a look at the season guide, it's rubbish as usual.

This is fact...
Every year the same thing, player squads, club records, and ticketing information. Only thing that changes are the players listed. Nothing so much as a written word that can't be found on a clubs website or nrl.com.

This is opinion yet again...
It'd be at least nice to one year have an actual preview. Discuss each clubs strengths and weaknesses, new signings and talk a bit about the players.

Waste of $10 again.

If you or Timmah cannot distinguish between "opinion" and a "misrepresentation of facts" then it is not my problem. I too also know the purpose of the guide, it would still be nice to have just a little bit of written information, inbetween all the stats. I always flick through it to see if anything has changed.

Yet again, without Timmah's abusive post, the discussion would have ended there.

Latest posts