What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 Awards

Good Stuff

Wrestler of the Year
Davey Richards

Tag Team of the Year
The American Wolves (Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards)

Match of the Year
Davey Richards v Kenta, ROH Supercard of Honor V
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/sports/watch/v18676567AdnFrQPA#

Promotion of the Year
Dragon Gate USA

Pay Per View/Event of the Year
Dragon Gate USA - Enter The Dragon

Promo of the Year
CM Punk as Jeff Hardy (WWE Smackdown)

Breakout Star of the Year
Davey Richards

Fued of the Year
CM Punk v Jeff Hardy

Someone To Watch In The Future
The Young Bucks

Gimmick of the Year
CM Punk - Straight Edge

Most Improved
Davey Richards

TV Show of the Year
ROH on HDNet

Headline of the Year
Hogan signs with TNA

Bad Stuff

Worst Wrestler of the Year
Hornswoggle

Worst Tag Team of the Year
Degeneration X

Worst Match of the Year
Jenna Morasca v Sharmell, TNA Victory Road 2009

Worst Promotion of the Year
TNA Wrestling

Worst Pay Per View/Event of the Year
TNA Victory Road

Worst Promo of the Year
Any of the DX garbage

Biggest flop of a Push
Cody Rhodes and Ted Dibiase

Worst Fued of the Year
Degeneration X v Hornswoggle

Which Recent Debutant Won't Last More Than 2 Months
Lance Hoyt in WWE

Worst Gimmick of the Year
Samoa Joe's Nation of Violence garbage

Biggest Fall Off
The Briscoes in ROH

Worst TV Show of the Year
WWE Raw

Big Pete

Referee
Having only watched WWE/TNA so my knowledge is limited. If I find the time, I'll definately have to check out your picks Marlins.

Wrestler of the Year
Kurt Angle - Was easily the most consistent wrestler of the year and unlike Christian was promoted heavily by his promotion.

Tag Team of the Year
Chris Jericho and The Big Show - Entertaining and established as one of the strongest tag teams of the decade. This should've really gone to Beer Money Inc. but TNA dropped the ball big time.

Match of the Year
Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker - Wrestlemania XXV - While it isn't as brilliant as some fans rave it to be (For starters it isn't the best Mania match) for mine it delivered on it's hype and we saw two of the biggest stars go at it.

Promotion of the Year
WWE - Thank god for Smackdown and ECW.

TNA Turning Point - Edges past Backlash as my pick of the year with two of the best matches of the year being showcased on the show. Was generally a fun show from top to bottom.

Promo of the Year
CM Punk as Jeff Hardy (WWE Smackdown) - Nothing stands out to me, so I'll take Marlins word for it.

Desmond Wolfe - While Nigel had dominated ROH for a while before he arrived in TNA I thought his arrival as Desmond was big and added another talented wrestler to the Main Event. Sheamus came close, but slapping a World Title onto somebody shouldn't be enough reason to give him the nod.

Fued of the Year
CM Punk v Jeff Hardy - It just worked on so many levels.
Drew McIntyre - Has the support of the locker room and has a great look about him.

Gimmick of the Year
CM Punk: Straight Edge - Not exactly new, but it made a nice return.

Most Improved
The Miz - Has really found his own feet by himself on the Raw brand.

TV Show of the Year
ECW on SciFi - It was consistently the best show featuring some of the best matches from the year. Most of them starring Christian.

Headline of the Year
Hogan signs with TNA - How much discussion did this stir? Hart signing with the WWE a close second.

Bad Stuff

Kizarny - How embarrassing was that...

Scott Steiner and Booker T - Why did they ruin BMI's reign? Old and irrelevant.

Worst Match of the Year
Jenna Morasca v Sharmell, TNA Victory Road 2009

TNA Wrestling - Nothing hit the lowest eb this year like TNA did. For awhile it was unwatchable.

TNA Victory Road - MEM reigned supreme and Foley Main Evented. *Yawn*

Worst Promo of the Year
Mini Me on Raw - *shiver*

Biggest flop of a Push
Foley as TNA Champion. Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb.

Worst Fued of the Year
Hornswaggle vs. Chavo Guerrero - It just never ended and nobody cared about either wrestler.

Lacey Von Erich. What happened to only fielding female wrestlers TNA?

Samoa Joe's Nation of Violence garbage. Lame.

Biggest Fall Off
Samoa Joe - Went from a champion to a nobody.

TNA Impact - For the first four months it was dreadful. Even Raw's last couple of shows can't earn it a spot.

Wrestler of the Year
Chris Jericho

Tag Team of the Year
Jericho + Big Show. Both these men single handedly rebuilt the WWE's Tag Team division, which for years was used either only for top tier storylines (think Cena + Michaels as Tag Champs) or for novelty purposes. These two have made these titles credible again, though I would rather Edge was still not injured to be part of this team. I have also liked The British Invasion, these guys have improved remarkably.

Match of the Year
CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy (Punk cashes in MITB breifcase). But seriously, Christian vs Jack Swagger on ECW (can't remember the episode, but Swagger was still the champion) was an exceptional match.

Promotion of the Year
WWE. Bit hard to lose this two horse race

Backlash

Promo of the Year
Matt Hardy declaring the end of the Hardy Boyz on SmackDown after the Royal Rumble

Desmond Wolfe - Coming in immediately at the top of the card to any company can isolate fans on a "who are you and why do we care" basis. Add in the fact he had to change his name from Nigel McGuinness and those not in the loop become lost as to who he is too. But he picked up the ball and ran with it, putting together excellent matches + promo's with all his opponents (except maybe Cody Deaner)

Fued of the Year
Desmond Wolfe vs Kurt Angle

Dolph Ziggler. Finally dropped 2 rubbish gimmicks, Kerwin White's (Chavo Guerrero) caddy and Nicky in the Spirit Squad. Probably would have had an IC Title reign by now had Rey Mysterio not failed a drug test.

Gimmick of the Year
D'Angelo Deniro - Street Preacher

Most Improved
Zach Ryder. An odd choice, but if you watch his matches teaming with Curt Hawkins and his early stuff on ECW you will see a change from someone so green you would mistake him for grass to a confident and fluent wrestler.

TV Show of the Year
SmackDown. Edges out ECW as the brand isn't built around one man

Headline of the Year
TNA signing Hulk Hogan, though the Aussie media's belief that Ric Flair's beat down of Hogan at the "Let the Battle Begin" press confrence was legit was pretty funny

Bad Stuff

The Great Khali - this guy has a mortgage on this spot until he retires. Closely followed by Kevin Nash, who has become so slow it is embarrassing

Vladimir Kozlov + Eziekiel Jackson (Regal's Roundtable)

Worst Match of the Year
Jenna Morasca v Sharmell has to win, almost as bad as THE Jackie Gydia incident. For the guys, Khali vs Kane from SummerSlam was a howler

TNA Wrestling. If the WWE is the best, that leaves one option for worst

WWE Hell in a Cell

Worst Promo of the Year
The guy from Entourage guest hosting Raw. He had no clue what the hell was going on all night

Biggest flop of a Push
Jeff Hardy. Has there been a weaker World Champion?

Worst Fued of the Year
Hornswoggle vs Chavo Guerrero

Baretta + Croft. Nothing says success like a tag team on a show that has never had Tag Titles

Eric Young's World Elite. They have ready made heel heat and good wrestlers, but they get flogged around week in, week out. Hell, Young has been booked so weak that they thought it was a good idea for him to lose to Hamada only after 3 minutes of him being beaten down.

Biggest Fall Off
CM Punk. Top of the card + World Title holder fell to the mid card so fast it makes your head spin

WWE Raw. Even with Vince McMahon spending most his time on SmackDown, the show makes for horrific watching. Particularly the main event, which only ever seems to feature a mix of John Cena, Randy Orton, or DX

I watch WWE and very little TNA

Wrestler of the Year
Chris Jericho-Even though he didn't hold a world title, he was a key part of both Raw and Smackdown for the second half of the year.

Tag Team of the Year
Jericho + Big Show. Dominated the tag team division, although poor booking (DX going over them) destroyed something big. If a lesser tag team had gone over them they would have gotten a huge rub, but no, we waste it on DX.

Match of the Year
Taker vs Michaels at WM. Two greatest of all time contenders showing why they are regarded so highly.

Promotion of the Year
WWE

Extreme Rules (Edge vs Hardy was an absolute cracker, as was Jericho vs Rey. Most of the other matches were solid, and Punk cashing in to end it just topped it all off)

Promo of the Year
A tie between CM Punk as Jeff Hardy (some of the kids (in the crowd) faces were classic)

Sheamus (really came from no where to take down the WWE pin up boy)

Fued of the Year
Jericho vs Rey

Drew McIntyre (has the blessing from the boys, and will probably get a jesus push like Sheamus, very good in the ring too)

Gimmick of the Year
Zack Ryder: douchebag (douchebag music, douchebag ring attire, carries on like a douchebag, but is doing very well on his own)

Most Improved
Miz (I thought he'd struggle without J Mo, but really it's the opposite. Morrison just lacks something I can't put my finger on. The Miz really covered his floors, and since going solo has generated a tonne of heat, probably only behind Punk, Jericho and Randy)

TV Show of the Year
SmackDown, easily

Headline of the Year
Bret Hart>WWE. Hogan was big too, but he's lost a lot of his draw power since he has been wheeled out every 5 minutes

Bad Stuff

Batista (no matter how hard I try I just can't stand him. Smackdown dropped a long way when he made the switch)

Cryme Tyme (just really irk me, JTG is alright, Shad is woeful)

Worst Match of the Year
Mickie vs Maryse Night of champions (only went a few minutes and still managed to completely lose the crowd. Poor booking putting it on after the triple threat match with the 3 big dogs)

TNA Wrestling (don't watch much, and I can't really get into it)

Hell in a Cell (Punk jobbing out in 10 minutes, no blood, no going on top of the cell, hopefully they learnt from TLC that less is more (1 good HIAC match is better than 3 ordinary ones) and if they have it again next year it can be fixed)

Worst Promo of the Year
Seth Green making his big match, Legacy+Orton vs Cena+HHH+Him, yeah, put the 3 bigger bad asses in the company against you when you're 3 feet tall. Not to mention the WWE letting him go over them. At least Prinze Jr and Cuban to name a few got beaten down somewhat and didn't go over the companies biggest heels

Biggest flop of a Push
Jeff (Probably good for him he's taken a hiatus (although not good what he did), the guy is just like Cena, although he can do a few flips, and has NO mic skills. If he was still in the main event now I reckon he's get a similar reaction to Cena. At least Cena's promos are bearable)

Worst Fued of the Year
Hornswoggle vs Chavo Guerrero (a guy with talent jobbing out to a dwarf)

Baretta + Croft, although if they see it out till the draft they should be alright. They have some good double team moves, but no one to fued with. Most of the other recent debutons will be around for a while.

Khali: Punjabi playboy. Another comedy gag that's gone on too long. turn him heel again or get rid of him.

Biggest Fall Off
Chavo. 2 years ago: ECW Champ. 1 year ago: Part of a 'stable' (I use that term loosely) aimed at keeping Edge world champ. now: jobbing out to a midget

ECW. No star power. Christian, Shelton, Ryder, who? Tiffany pisses me off too as a GM, why does the little blonde bitch boss them all around?