What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 Player profiles

Dave Q

Coach
He looks like Artie Beetson with Owen Craigie strapped around his waist.

Mind you he was carrying a bit of weight last year as well. Still didn't stop him from demolishing our under 20's side when they played the Dragons. I'm not too concerned about him carrying some weight atm as long as he realises that he can do that in under 20's but that he won't be able to cut it in first grade looking like that. Should be a good test to see how much he wants to move up. There is a real opportunity for him if he is willing to work for it. If he looks like that in 3 months time then you know that he doesn't have what it takes to snatch that opportunity and run with it.

Also depends what position he wants to slot into. Imo you can carry a little weight at 5/8. Cliff Lyons showed that if you are a good enough ballplayer, you don't have to be too mobile to dominate from 5/8. You can't play second row or lock without good mobility though.

Insightful post DKOR.

Say what you want about the Mundines but they understand the meaning of hard work!

Sonic took them at NYC training last week.

Anyone can go down and watch if interested.... Training times are;
FG - Mon, Tue, Thu & Fri at 7:30am (then drinks at Issac's place afterwards... just kidding)
NYC - Same days as above at 5:00pm

There is no training on Wednesdays.

I found out yesterday......got up early, bought a train ticket, had a hangover, was mad excited........least i got to watch the ground get lawnmowed haha

On Topic:
Mundine is probably taking M.Tyson's diet....mmmmmm, children.

Last edited:

Nemesis

Bench
I found out yesterday......got up early, bought a train ticket, had a hangover, was mad excited........least i got to watch the ground get lawnmowed haha

On Topic:
Mundine is probably taking M.Tyson's diet....mmmmmm, children.
Damn... a bit unlucky that you picked their day off to go SSU. I think some of the boys still go there on Wednedays to work on their own individual stuff, but that could be any time of the day.

Wicks

Juniors
Hes always carried a bit of extra lard but that hasnt stopped him from being a very promising footballer.

He is picking up injuries regularly now though which will weaken him

There was a time that you could have forgiven him but now he is on first grade money and instead of stepping up he has gone backwards This should have been the year he rounded out his game in defence and helped the other forwards get the ball out of trouble

He looked so promising after his off season last year Now Wayne Bennett has had a look and said no Not a good sign

Nemesis

Bench
He is picking up injuries regularly now though which will weaken him

There was a time that you could have forgiven him but now he is on first grade money and instead of stepping up he has gone backwards This should have been the year he rounded out his game in defence and helped the other forwards get the ball out of trouble

He looked so promising after his off season last year Now Wayne Bennett has had a look and said no Not a good sign
Hopefully our fitness trainers have got him on a rigourous training program that will peel off about 20 kgs before the official start of season in about 9 weeks.

Dave Q

Coach
Hopefully our fitness trainers have got him on a rigourous training program that will peel off about 20 kgs before the official start of season in about 9 weeks.

A bit over 2 kilos a week....lets see.

Day One

Breakfast menu: I teaspoon of non-fat milk and one half-grain of sugar

Lunch: 5 lentils and a bean. A serve of watercress for variety every third day

Dinner: 4 huge juicy steaks, 100 grams of fatty cheesy fries, 1 litre full-sugar coke, 4 chocolate or pineapple doughtnuts...take all food, throw it in a knapsack and walk 10 kms and back. Dispose of food in bin upon return. Eat one large turnip or parsnop every alternate day.

Day Two

Repeat Day One

Its all too easy this one.

Wicks

Juniors

That will just mean he will break down quickly and not last the season

You will have to get his attitude right over two seasons and look for something in 2011 or late 2010 at best

Nemesis

Bench
That will just mean he will break down quickly and not last the season

You will have to get his attitude right over two seasons and look for something in 2011 or late 2010 at best
If he stays the way he is he'll break down even more quickly. For someone his size, losing 1.5 -2 kgs per week shouldn't be much of a problem... it just requires hard work and discipline.

Wicks

Juniors
If he stays the way he is he'll break down even more quickly. For someone his size, losing 1.5 -2 kgs per week shouldn't be much of a problem... it just requires hard work and discipline.

Who says he should stay the way he is:?

That sort of weight loss is disastrous for a football player at his age and in his situation with high expectations to perform

In a full offseason you would still be pushing it and he is still getting over an injury that would limit his running

Nemesis

Bench
Who says he should stay the way he is:?

That sort of weight loss is disastrous for a football player at his age and in his situation with high expectations to perform

In a full offseason you would still be pushing it and he is still getting over an injury that would limit his running
I'm sure our trainers will decide on the best way to manage his situation. I don't care how he looks, but at the end of the day he needs to perform at a high level on the field as a professional footballer.... we're certainly not paying him to mow the grass at Redfern Oval.

I'm sure our trainers will decide on the best way to manage his situation. I don't care how he looks, but at the end of the day he needs to perform at a high level on the field as a professional footballer.... we're certainly not paying him to mow the grass at Redfern Oval.
I admire that lawnmowers work, sensational

john26

Juniors
Sonic took them at NYC training last week.

Anyone can go down and watch if interested.... Training times are;
FG - Mon, Tue, Thu & Fri at 7:30am (then drinks at Issac's place afterwards... just kidding)
NYC - Same days as above at 5:00pm

There is no training on Wednesdays.

Is there anywhere I can look at the photos from the NYC training?

When i was at training yesterday i overheard a conversation about having
(A)channel 9 Photos
(B)Suit Photos
(C)Profile Photos in their jersey
so based on that information its yet to be done.

Nemesis

Bench
When i was at training yesterday i overheard a conversation about having
(A)channel 9 Photos
(B)Suit Photos
(C)Profile Photos in their jersey
so based on that information its yet to be done.
Anything interesting to report from yesterday's training SSU? Who was there, who wasn't (apart from Hegs lol), what they were doing, who impressed you & who didn't etc.

They were doing attacking/defending sets, split into two groups
and they took turns from have a goal line drop out and coming in on attack.

They also did 40 sets (attacking in from a 40 tap, similar to the other drill).
Sandow really impressed me. His defence looks sharp and he on numerous occasions where the other group made a break, he shut it down by knocking the ball away.

This was followed by a kick off with Sandow vs Luke. Cool down followed that. I turned up at about 8:10 to when it finished so im not sure if anything else occured before that.

The only guy i didnt see there was hegarty but im unsure if i saw J.Lo or not. Ill have a look over some of the photos I took.

Latest posts