What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Recruitment

ShanghaiCharlie

Juniors
I'm openly anti-Sheens but I think he did a really good job with the clean-out last year.
Gee, I'm glad this following bunch aren't choking our salary cap.

Out: John Morris and Dean Collis (Cronulla), Peni Tagive (St George), Dean Halatau (Canterbury), Shannon Gallant (Nth Queensland), Daine Laurie (Penrith), Danny Galea (Canberra), Tramachi, Payne, Dunley, Hanbury (released).

Not one of these guys has stepped up this year at other clubs.

Not too many I'd show the door to for next season of current players.

N.C.

Juniors
No guarantees for next year: Fitzy, Cayless, Brown, maybe Lazarus & Taumata...

Who is off contract?

Morris and Collis are the only 2 going good at their clubs.

Morris was pointless, not a half, we don't need a utility and he would never unseat Farah.

Collis needed a new club regardless, so no loss there either in that sense.

ShanghaiCharlie

Juniors
No guarantees for next year: Fitzy, Cayless, Brown, maybe Lazarus & Taumata...

Who is off contract?

Think every one of them is under contract for next year. Lazarus maybe not.

Tuiaki could well be gone and Tupou and McKinnon as none are under contract.

Collis was always a 50/50 to keep or not... All in all, a great clean out.

westie

Bench
Good posts so far. But we've signed a fullback just now to replace Shannon who has performed at a far lower standard than him this year. Shannon was superb in his FG appearances.

Peni, if he can stay fit is a big loss. He wasn't cut, he was poached.... for a reason. He's a specimen and if he can learn to play footy, he's world class.

Collis is doing very well in his limited showings, especially with the Sharks finding confidence in recent weeks.

Even Morris has looked alright, but as was said... not a player we needed.

Trimarchi had a bit of go about him... he's no worse than Dwyer or Flanagan.

Galea was a defensive unit, I wouldn't mind him off the bench at stages. He was looking fair before being hurt early.

Payne the same deal to a lesser extent.

Laurie is a freak player, but this is the one time I've agreed with Sheens' attitude bullsh*t. This guy had the aborigine "the world is against me" thing going on. Shame, as he had talent coming out of his arse.

Halatau showed why he is one of the worst guys to ever don our jersey on the weekend. Absolute spazzo of the highest order. Can't see him making FG unless things go absolutely to sh*t.

The others are boring.

andrew9148

Juniors
i am glad morris, collis and halatau have gone. Nothing against them, but its a lot of dough to be paying for not much. Dene was amazing when needed in 05 so he will always be an important part of the club.

macnaz

Staff member
Our side would have been far better this year if Gallant was our fulllback, but i agree with all the others being released.
The problem is we purchased un needed or injured replacements for them.
Fitz= Past it
Topou= Fail because of injury
Cayless= Fail because of injury
Tuamata= Fail because he will never be played
Brown= Fail. Limited game time but was never going to be brilliant.
Daniela= Fail .Has potential , but probly wont be given a fair chance

Last edited:

macnaz

Staff member
We were weak in the halfback and front row positions, our signings have done nothing to address this, in fact we also created a weakness in the fullback position so we actualy went backwards.

macnaz

Staff member
So if we look at it, Moltzen was Tims number 1 fullback and if TNT's injury didnt drag on unexpectedly.. We would have had
1. Fitz
2.Lote
3.Ryan
4.Brown
5..Daniela
6.Tupou
All friggin wingers competing for one spot, how many do we need..:. ?

Radical Rat

Juniors
Good posts so far. But we've signed a fullback just now to replace Shannon who has performed at a far lower standard than him this year. Shannon was superb in his FG appearances.

Peni, if he can stay fit is a big loss. He wasn't cut, he was poached.... for a reason. He's a specimen and if he can learn to play footy, he's world class.

Collis is doing very well in his limited showings, especially with the Sharks finding confidence in recent weeks.

Galea was a defensive unit, I wouldn't mind him off the bench at stages. He was looking fair before being hurt early.

Laurie is a freak player, but this is the one time I've agreed with Sheens' attitude bullsh*t. This guy had the aborigine "the world is against me" thing going on. Shame, as he had talent coming out of his arse.

Halatau showed why he is one of the worst guys to ever don our jersey on the weekend. Absolute spazzo of the highest order. Can't see him making FG unless things go absolutely to sh*t.

The others are boring.

That's a very big if about Peni, but I agree he's an athlete.

Collis is going ok at the Sharks, not setting the world on fire. J Mo is actually going really well, he suits the Sharks boring style.

I think you're selling Dwyer a bit short. I'm mega excited about his dveleopment. He's gonna be twice the player Flanagan and Trimarchi will ever be.

Galea was hopeless, yes he could hit a bit, but definitely had to be cut.

As for Halatau, i'll always be in debt to him for his performance at lock in the 05 finals, notably his MOM against the Broncos. But he had to be cut, hasn't done anything since.

The Gambler

Juniors
Shannon Gallant is massively overrated. He has been nothing short of ordinary for the Cowboys this year, now he finds himself playing reserves, just like he was at the Tigers. He played one good game this year, then proceeded to prove he is nothing but a solid back-up for injury.

Too many jumped on the 'mighty mouse' bandwagon after the State Cup die hard supporters started crying foul. They have their favourites because they go to the games, talk to the players after games, stalk them on facebook and suck up big time because they think they are best of mates.

macnaz

Staff member
He was never going to keep Bowen out of the fullback spot so thats WHY he is playing reserve grade, so its unfair to use that as an arguement. He is without doubt a better fullback than Moltzen and Ryan. We always hear about his defence but if u look at who and were he failed to prevent a try it was usualy 1metre out against big forwards which no one would stop one on one. Another one which comes to mind was Watmough who had just ran through our whole pack or forwards before beating Gallant.
Moi Moi ran fullspeed through the Cowboys forwards and only Gallant to beat....guess what he didnt score, Mighty mouse tackled him, so he couldnt be to sh*t.

macnaz

Staff member
Hardly ever see him drop a bomb, his kick returns are brilliant, his support play is 1st class, his positional play is spot on and he can play up in the line, and a bit sus defensively at times.
I can see more than positives than negatives there.
Trade that for a bomb catching tackler and nothing much else, hardly a far swap.

The Gambler

Juniors
It is no secret that you have a love affair with Gallant, the guy could let in three tries and you would make an excuse for all of them.

His defence is woeful, he has missed twice as many tackles as Bowen in roughly the same game time. Sure, I agree that he has a good kick return and he is a good support player - but still not THAT good.

He could easily displace Bowen from the fullback spot, if Gallant was good enough he could of forced Bowen in the halves, which was an option the Cowboys were seriously considering. Secondly, if he was a decent player he would be able to displace bloody Michael Bani from the Cowboys wing - however he is too small and too weak in defence to be considered.

I am more than happy with Ryan in the fullback spot actually. I don't think Gallant would add more than he does at the moment. I would most definitely take McKinnon over Gallant as well.

Vic Mackey

Referee
i would still take galea back, the bloke is honestly the best defender in the nrl, forget dallas johnson, alan tonuge etc, this bloke did what they do but actually hurt people. he was just starting to become useful in attack towards the end of last season and we cut him. in saying that our backrow hasnt exactly let us down this year....but i still think galea could have been value for us....

collis was the same as harrison, needed to leave to further his career, i wish him all the best.

gallant isnt the worlds best fullback but suited our little inside balls to the fullback that worked so well last year. unfortunately ryan or fitzy will never make a break from this as ryan is too slow and fitzy doesnt put his body on the line. i seriously believe we bought mckinnon purely for this play.

macnaz

Staff member
Nothing wrong with some good hetro manlove lol,
Just means i can see some special abilitys in a player that makes watching them enjoyable. Anyway you have voiced your oppion and i have voiced mine and neither of us can ever be proven right or wrong as personal apraisals of players will always differ .

TigerLoyalty

Juniors

The others are boring.

RE your thoughts on Halateu 'Your an idiot'.

He was possibly our best towards the back of 05 and definately throughout the finals.

Some of his dummy half running really layed the foundation for the rest of the boys.

Granted he had probably 2 bad seasons since but that doesnt warrant your comment regarding him to be one of the worst to ever wear the jersey. Idiot!