What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Recruitment

N.C.

Juniors
Western Suburbs won the SG Ball comp in 2002 and its no coincidence that 3 years later with Liam Fulton, Bryce Gibbs and Dean Collis progressing to 1st grade we won the NRL grand final.The Wests Magpies SG Ball side in 2002 had other future stars including Ryan Hoffman, Ben Roberts and Issac DeGois...
Remind me again - how many first grade games did Collis play in 2005?

westie

Bench
That was a freak side when you consider that dudes like Lett get the odd run and there's still a few running around in reserve grade.

It'd be so unlikely to get that many guys from a 20s or even PL side to do so well. Any other examples?

Estoboy

Juniors
Holy Cross have a freak half in the Under 16s/17s (not sure) who Tim Sheens has bigger wraps on than benji.
Unfortunately he suffered a broken leg earlier this year and can't play, but from what i've been told sheens has instructed BRET/NYC to look after this kid.

his name is someone Brooke i think... anyone know?

edit: Luke Brooks

blackandwhite

Juniors
Holy Cross have a freak half in the Under 16s/17s (not sure) who Tim Sheens has bigger wraps on than benji.
Unfortunately he suffered a broken leg earlier this year and can't play, but from what i've been told sheens has instructed BRET/NYC to look after this kid.

Yeah I was told the same thing about the Wests Magpies equivalent Billy Kitt

http://www.oberonreview.com.au/news...ague/kitt-roars-with-west-tigers/1471491.aspx

Both 16 and both good footballers but hardly in the Benji Marshall class... Benji at that age could virtually score a try at will.....Hey sometimes he still does it now.

Both have had disappointing years, Luke obviously because of his injury and Billy because of his treatment by Wests Magpies management and their thoughts with regard to young players who are contracted to Wests Tigers....I hope Billy makes it just to be able to tell that story one day.

Good luck to both of them but lets see how they go next year when they step up to 18's as 17 year olds....if they survive then maybe we might bring out the "freak" word. Bigger wraps than Benji ? .... I haven't seen it.

innsaneink

Referee

http://www.weststigersforum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3822

Tim Sheens has bigger wraps on than benji.
Really?

It is no secret that you have a love affair with Gallant, the guy could let in three tries and you would make an excuse for all of them.

His defence is woeful, he has missed twice as many tackles as Bowen in roughly the same game time. Sure, I agree that he has a good kick return and he is a good support player - but still not THAT good.

He could easily displace Bowen from the fullback spot, if Gallant was good enough he could of forced Bowen in the halves, which was an option the Cowboys were seriously considering. Secondly, if he was a decent player he would be able to displace bloody Michael Bani from the Cowboys wing - however he is too small and too weak in defence to be considered.

I am more than happy with Ryan in the fullback spot actually. I don't think Gallant would add more than he does at the moment. I would most definitely take McKinnon over Gallant as well.

Actually, Bowen did go to the halves last night and Gallant played fullback.

Would you care to comment on his woeful defence again? He snotted everything that went near him last night, had a whale of a game. Saved at least 3 tries.

Mighty Mouse should never have been let go.

R2Coupe

Juniors
There is an animal called the salary cap. Tough decisions need to be made and the opportunity cost of keeping Gallant may have been the loss of Mullaney. The club already had lost Kahu.

R2Coupe

Juniors
There is an animal called the salary cap. Tough decisions need to be made and the opportunity cost of keeping Gallant may have been the loss of Mullaney. The club already had lost Kahu.

Just recall Gallant asking the club to be released to go to the Cowboys.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Just recall Gallant asking the club to be released to go to the Cowboys.

Look back through the past threads here and you will find technically that is correct but the circumstances of his request was all Teflon Tim's and his mindset against Gallant. Gallant had no hope of overturning Teflon's negative opinion about him and his future at the club in terms of contract extension and upgrade.

blackandwhite

Juniors
If the tigers make the top 4 this year, and given neither club had won anything since 1969, would the sheens haters be happy? The Storm have only managed two comps in recent times (not counting the first won) and they have been cheating for years. Yes they have made lots of finals, but ultimately if u dont win it, if u get 4th or 10th who gives a f**k

No one remembers or cares about who finished 4th..true....but if your a coach and your getting your team into the top four each year then your classed as a good coach.

The only exception to this rule is if your name is Tim Sheens and your missing the top 8 each year then of course its your playing roster and recruitment that is to blame....ohh and the refs and N.C. we can blame him as well for failing "Rewriting history 101".

As I said before Recruitment and winning NRL comps starts with securing our best teenage talent now...not by buying players in their late 20's who are not wanted and hoping for the best.