What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Squad Assesment by DaveQ

Dave Q

Coach
Preamble:

Strong squads win Premierships. This is because injuries, off-feild misadventures and suspensions all combine to take their ugly toll. The squad can expect a 25% casualty rate by round 14. The effect of this attrition will be reduced by our steller off-feild side re Allcott, but we must be realistic.

To make you feel better, all of the other sides will be suffering too.

Here are my player ratings and comments for your entertainment/criticsim.

*Max Merritt: 88.5%

Gifted athlete, solid mastery of most facets of the game. Tremendous vision. Averages close to 18 tries a season when the leading tryscorers hit the early twenties. Should be in the kangaroo squad. Best at fullback.
Dedicated clubman, role model to all children, hero.

*Roy Asotasi: 60.5% CAPTAIN

Slowed down last year due to injury. Has been one of the best forwards over the last 5 years but fading fast. Has it all to do in 2010. Would love to win another premiership. I would love to see him return to the football dominance he deserves.

* Sam Burgess: 80.5%

Icon of the ESL, one of the biggest and strongest men in the game. Young, fit, healthy and enthusiastic. Untested in the NRL but solid prospects. Tore into Manly at RTR-they were scared of him. He will win minds but tear out hearts. Welcome to Souths son.

* Beau Champion: 70.2%

Had a strong season last year and a deserved starter in our top side. Dedicated club man, massively experienced for such a young man.
Now that he has his head around the game, I expect him to progress well this year. He is one of the nicest guys in the squad and a future captain.

*Colin Best: 64.3%

Proven tryscorer, very experienced, cool under pressure. The White Vags. Line defence is generally excellent. Revells with good forwards. A bit of air, time and space=Colin Best try. Really looking forward to his games this year.

* Scott Geddes: 80.8%

Massive forward had a tough few years but powered on in the backend of 2010 to reclaim his status as one of best forwards. Catastrophic injury has plagued his career. He has been on the outer, but he is well in the thick of things now. Starting forward these days. According to the RPI stats, he is within the top 25% of players in the NRL. Whether he can stay there, we can only hope.

* Eddie Pettybourne: 88.3%

Outstanding young player, offered a kings ransom to leave Souths but signed with us anyway. NZ rep and hes barely out of nappies. Real Venom in his tackles, carries 3 players over the advantage line. Should be unstoppable. Some say he will be the best Souths forward of all time.
We love Eddie, he is like a little brother whom we cant stop from taking the car.

to be continued......

Paul Hewson

Juniors
OT, but does anyone know if Wesser will be playing this season?

Apparenly should be right for round 1. But then again he was meant to be right for the round 3 game and pulled out half an hour before kick off and was not seen for the remainder of the season. I don't expect that we will see much of Wesser this season.

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
Apparenly should be right for round 1. But then again he was meant to be right for the round 3 game and pulled out half an hour before kick off and was not seen for the remainder of the season. I don't expect that we will see much of Wesser this season.

i heard the same

even if fit, i'd have merrit at fullback

Rabbitohs 2010

As fans we’ve endured years of despair
Will 2010 be the Rabbitohs year?
Will Max hold fullback and churn up the turf
And that bra boy Sutton catch the big surf
Can Champion and Best do the damage running wide
With Talanoa and Wesser screaming fast down the side
I hope the power of Eddy will smash a few down
And lil’ Chris Sandow’s the talk of the town
That Roy smashes it hard all day long up the front
And ‘the big bopper’ Sam Burgess carves it up on the hunt
We see the strength of Dave Taylor like a man possessed
And Luke Stuart forces the opposition to seek a bulletproof vest
Will Isaac finally score some time on the track
And Crocker bring Origin form to the pack
Will Jamie and Luke Capewell be allowed to shine
While Heath Ledger lookalike Dave Tyrrell hits the line
With Geddes and Lowe firing firm off the bench
We can stand tall with pride as our team leaves the trench
I hope Ben Ross has a neck hard as rock
And the clever young talent puts it all on the block
With Johnny Lang leading we’re surely in great hands
So get out there Bunny fans and fill all the stands
This truly could be our year after a 40 year wait
So it’s our boys on the field and you and me mate

Dave Q

Coach
Rabbitohs 2010

That is going to be stuck to the family fridge Octane baby.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
Rabbitohs 2010

I think you have a fare bit of Banjo Paterson in you Dave well done.

Dave Q

Coach
This is our best team in my memory, no question, wy ahead of the curve in every respect.

Everybody fit....they would have to try bloody hard to lose a game.

And the nice thing is that the links to the hard old days are still there lads.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
This is our best team in my memory, no question, wy ahead of the curve in every respect.

Everybody fit....they would have to try bloody hard to lose a game.

And the nice thing is that the links to the hard old days are still there lads.

Best team on paper in your memory...Sadly games aren't won on paper.

Dave Q

Coach
Best team on paper in your memory...Sadly games aren't won on paper.

If you read my post again, I think you may find, that I didnt say it was the best team on paper.

I said it was the best team, full stop. :)

And I could be mistaken, but thats a view I beleive is shared by many of my learned colleagues who support our wonderful club.

A maginificent and much beloved club.

And the only club where rugby league dreams come true!

Last edited:
Preamble:

Strong squads win Premierships. This is because injuries, off-feild misadventures and suspensions all combine to take their ugly toll. The squad can expect a 25% casualty rate by round 14. The effect of this attrition will be reduced by our steller off-feild side re Allcott, but we must be realistic.

To make you feel better, all of the other sides will be suffering too.

Here are my player ratings and comments for your entertainment/criticsim.

*Max Merritt: 88.5%

Gifted athlete, solid mastery of most facets of the game. Tremendous vision. Averages close to 18 tries a season when the leading tryscorers hit the early twenties. Should be in the kangaroo squad. Best at fullback.
Dedicated clubman, role model to all children, hero.

*Roy Asotasi: 60.5% CAPTAIN

Slowed down last year due to injury. Has been one of the best forwards over the last 5 years but fading fast. Has it all to do in 2010. Would love to win another premiership. I would love to see him return to the football dominance he deserves.

* Sam Burgess: 80.5%

Icon of the ESL, one of the biggest and strongest men in the game. Young, fit, healthy and enthusiastic. Untested in the NRL but solid prospects. Tore into Manly at RTR-they were scared of him. He will win minds but tear out hearts. Welcome to Souths son.

* Beau Champion: 70.2%

Had a strong season last year and a deserved starter in our top side. Dedicated club man, massively experienced for such a young man.
Now that he has his head around the game, I expect him to progress well this year. He is one of the nicest guys in the squad and a future captain.

*Colin Best: 64.3%

Proven tryscorer, very experienced, cool under pressure. The White Vags. Line defence is generally excellent. Revells with good forwards. A bit of air, time and space=Colin Best try. Really looking forward to his games this year.

* Scott Geddes: 80.8%

Massive forward had a tough few years but powered on in the backend of 2010 to reclaim his status as one of best forwards. Catastrophic injury has plagued his career. He has been on the outer, but he is well in the thick of things now. Starting forward these days. According to the RPI stats, he is within the top 25% of players in the NRL. Whether he can stay there, we can only hope.

* Eddie Pettybourne: 88.3%

Outstanding young player, offered a kings ransom to leave Souths but signed with us anyway. NZ rep and hes barely out of nappies. Real Venom in his tackles, carries 3 players over the advantage line. Should be unstoppable. Some say he will be the best Souths forward of all time.
We love Eddie, he is like a little brother whom we cant stop from taking the car.

to be continued......

Max Merrit!!!! he looks quote old in my view he has grey hair and played in some 1960's pop group and apparent tours the clubs- surely you are not that desperate for players are you?

Dave Q

Coach
Nice to see this thread become a focal point of humour.

In honour of our communist mate, Ive changed my signature.

And thanks Baron.

Kilkenny

Coach
I wouldn't go writing off Rhys Wesser just yet. Give him a chance. He is a terrific footballer who if your forwards (and halves) can lay a solid platform and Rhys is injury free he will score 15-20 tries for you guys this season.

He has explosive acceleration and give an inch of room he will be through a gap and gone. His defence is fantastic despite what you may read from those ill informed Panthers fans who have no real idea. To top things off he is also very reliable under the high ball, despite not always appearing totally comfortable.

Rhys is the complete fullback in my opinion, certain the best fullback the panthers have ever had in there history and he still has what it take mark my words. Injury free the Bunnies have a true match winner to compliment what appears to be a very substantial forward pack.

I have watched every game of Rhys's Panthers career and his is an outstanding talent who has been sadly underrated due to the likes of Lockyer, Minichello, Slater and Hunt but to name a few who he has had to compete against for further rep honours.

I sincerely hope Rhys has an injury free season and I would love him to recapture his best form, other than when he plays the Panthers when hopefully he is sidelined for a week with injury.

Dave Q

Coach
I wouldn't go writing off Rhys Wesser just yet. Give him a chance. He is a terrific footballer who if your forwards (and halves) can lay a solid platform and Rhys is injury free he will score 15-20 tries for you guys this season.

He has explosive acceleration and give an inch of room he will be through a gap and gone. His defence is fantastic despite what you may read from those ill informed Panthers fans who have no real idea. To top things off he is also very reliable under the high ball, despite not always appearing totally comfortable.

Rhys is the complete fullback in my opinion, certain the best fullback the panthers have ever had in there history and he still has what it take mark my words. Injury free the Bunnies have a true match winner to compliment what appears to be a very substantial forward pack.

I have watched every game of Rhys's Panthers career and his is an outstanding talent who has been sadly underrated due to the likes of Lockyer, Minichello, Slater and Hunt but to name a few who he has had to compete against for further rep honours.

I sincerely hope Rhys has an injury free season and I would love him to recapture his best form, other than when he plays the Panthers when hopefully he is sidelined for a week with injury.

A solid contribution.

Latest posts