What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 & Depth

Was fortunate enough to be around a conversation with the Dragons Chairman a few days before xmas. Whilst he spoke about many things, some interesting points were,

i) All the new recruits are doing very well and the club is particularly impressed at this stage by Ah Mau & Vidiot.

ii) Cummins will get a run in 1st grade this season without doubt &

iii) The club as a whole is very confident of success in 2012, with the only concern being the halfback depth should Hornby be sidelined.

Happy New Year, bring it on!

Last edited:

Bring back choc

Juniors
Point (ii) is void...he has no idea if cummins will get a run...unless of course he is trying to say we will have one of the worth injury tolls in recent history? Thanks for the confidence Mr.Chairman.

Cummins is behind Stanley, Goodwin and Nighty.

Point (i) i am not surprised.

Point (iii) i dont think is such a concern.

watatank

Coach
Cummins can play more than one position...his development will probably be similar to what Ben Barba's was/is.

The third point is probably an indication that Stanley will play fullback.

Didgi

Came here to ask about Cummins' first grade prospects, he absolutely carved in NYC from late in the season. Was he injured (or playing Ball?) at the start of this year? I realise he played a bit of NYC in 2010, but he burst from nowhere later in the year and it seems the club has done a good job of bringing him through slowly when they could've thrown him in much earlier.

Father Ted

First Grade
Came here to ask about Cummins' first grade prospects, he absolutely carved in NYC from late in the season. Was he injured (or playing Ball?) at the start of this year? I realise he played a bit of NYC in 2010, but he burst from nowhere later in the year and it seems the club has done a good job of bringing him through slowly when they could've thrown him in much earlier.

Placed in the top squad this year so looking good as a top line prospect. Another one the Roosters lost by the looks of it.
PLAYER PROFILE

Full Team List
00059153_Image.jpg

Evander Cummins
Date of Birth : 9 January, 1993
Height : 175 cm
Weight : 83 kg
Position : Fullback
Junior Clubs : Alexandria Rovers; Arncliffe Scots
Previous Clubs : Sydney Roosters

BIOGRAPHY

A regular in the Toyota Cup last season and can cover a number of positions in the back line.

team.gif

watatank

Coach

Yes the club has done well to hold him back and he'll be a better player for it in the long run

He played a handful of games on the wing towards the end of 2010 from memory...I think in 2011 he played SG Ball and for his school (he made the Australian Schoolboys team) and when all that was done he started playing for the NYC on a regular basis at fullback.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
If Hornby is injured, Fein seems to be his natural replacement however, as time goes on I would not be suprised to see the following changes in the case of an injury to Hornby:
1. Cummins
6. K Stanley
7. Soward
9. King

What a dynamic spine!

I feel Goodwin will do well this year in NSW Cup but not as well as Cummins.
Stanley is a natural No. 6.
Soward needs to step up this year and take on the line a lot more.
King will take a lot of the heat off the halves and provide more options to the forwards.

About 12 of the fulltime squad wil play for the new Illawarra team in the NSW Cup giving the Dragons the opportunity to draw backup replacements from two teams this year; the NYC and Illawarra.

I think Illawarra will compete really well in the NSW Cup and competing well each week for places in the Dragons side. A possible Illawarra side could comprise of the following players:
1. Goodwin
2. TBA
3. Kemp
4. C Stanley
5. TBA
6. TBA
7. Fein
8. Gower
9. Rein
10. Cashmore
11. Miller
12. Emmett
13. Prior
14. Latimore
15. Vea
16. TBA
17. TBA

Fingerbang

Bench
I think Illawarra will compete really well in the NSW Cup and competing well each week for places in the Dragons side. A possible Illawarra side could comprise of the following players:
1. Goodwin
2. TBA
3. Kemp
4. C Stanley
5. TBA
6. TBA
7. Fein
8. Gower
9. Rein
10. Cashmore
11. Miller
12. Emmett
13. Prior
14. Latimore
15. Vea
16. TBA
17. TBA
A lot of speculation in that team, possm. I think you may be surprised how different the Illawarra team will look from that most weeks.

I think Nathan Green will be one centre (is he too old for NYC?). Guys like Marketo, De Belin will play there more than NRL. And Damien Cook will be a good shot at the 9 jersey, or bench spot at least. Clunes a chance at the halfback spot as well.

possm

Coach
A lot of speculation in that team, possm. I think you may be surprised how different the Illawarra team will look from that most weeks.

I think Nathan Green will be one centre (is he too old for NYC?). Guys like Marketo, De Belin will play there more than NRL. And Damien Cook will be a good shot at the 9 jersey, or bench spot at least. Clunes a chance at the halfback spot as well.

There may be some changes freom week to week and yes this may not be the exact team however, all of these players are part of the Dragons NRL squad and - if not out with injury - will either be in the NRL Dragons 17 or the Illawarra NSW Cup 17. Clunes, Green, Marketo, Stockwell etc will be in NYC unless called up to NRL.

I named this Illawarra side on the ussumption that the following players will start in the NRL side:
Position
NRL
K Stanley
B Morris
M Cooper
D Vidot
J Nightingale
J Soward
B Hornby
M Weyman
C King
T Merrin
B Creagh
B Scott
D Young

D Hunt
A Mau
W Mathews
J De Belin

As I said there maybe some changes e.g. Prior for De Belin, C Stanley or Kemp for Vidot, Miller for Mathews. Fein can play 6,7 or 9 in the Illawarra side however, my guess is that this team will start off the season and players will be selected according to form and injury from week to week. No more room for sentiment; team performance is above all else.

Didgi

Yes the club has done well to hold him back and he'll be a better player for it in the long run

He played a handful of games on the wing towards the end of 2010 from memory...I think in 2011 he played SG Ball and for his school (he made the Australian Schoolboys team) and when all that was done he started playing for the NYC on a regular basis at fullback.

Yeah, I thought that may have been the case. I saw he played for the Schoolboys, and played well by all accounts.

On Will Matthews, surely the likes of Prior/De Belin/Rein/Stockwell/Latimore/Gower etc would be over him for a bench spot? Really never impressed at the Titans for mine. I know biiiig Raaaay is old and slow but he did ok in the SL, I'd even consider him over Matthews.

watatank

Coach
The bench will most likely be

14. Fien/Rein
15. Prior
16. Hunt
17. ???

So there's at least one forward spot open and Matthews will simply compete with all the others that weren't named. It will come down to who performs best in the off season, I guess.

As for his prospects I'd say they're decent if he takes advantage of his opportunities. He's a former Australian Schoolboy himself so the potential is there...he will also be at the age where most forwards really start to mature. Rest is up to him. That said, got a few stories like that in the squad which makes for good competition in the off season.

Fingerbang

Bench
Clunes, Green, Marketo, Stockwell etc will be in NYC unless called up to NRL.
I got a $100 that says Jake Marketo will not play even one game in the NYC in 2012.

And Cookie was signed to play for Illawarra.....he will be in the squad.

centralsaint

Juniors
Surely Marketo is behind Ah Mau, Matthews,De Belin,Vea and Miller for a bench spot this year. I noticed when he was interviewed he said his position was centre. His future may be left centre when Cooper retires.

Latest posts