What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Trials

Country Bronco

Juniors
Pretty impressed by fan day. It was a busy two hours but well worth it with freebies, signatures and photographs. Son played touch footy with players and was ankle tapped by hodges. It was something to remember.

b4l

Juniors
I will be at the game tonight. I will be wearing a Kobe jersey. Feel free to come up and have a chat, I don't bite! I got a few videos on my phone that might shock you fans :D

b4l

Juniors
Hoffman was the Broncos best. Ran hard and looked dangerous everytime. Even passed the ball too!

Clintos

Live Update Team
How did Berryman and Maranta go? Copley's injury creates an opportunity for one of them.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
First half was a shambles. Couldn't even do the basics right. Down 16-4 at half time.

Second half much much better. We looked much more dangerous went Prince came on. Our first half let us down too much, and lost 16-14. If it wasn't for a forward pass towards the end of the game we would have won.

Hoffman was easily our best player. He even looked quite good playing in the centres in the second half.

@Clintos. It wasn't a high scoring game so the wingers didn't really get into the game too much. I wouldn't say that either of them had a bad game.

Both Ben Hunt and Corey Norman had bad games. Hunt's work from dummy half was shithouse. At least Granville showed a bit of speed out of dummy half.

For the Titans, Albert Kelly looked very dangerous in the first half and Srama was quality.

Clintos

Live Update Team
Admittedly I haven't seen a lot of Berryman apart from his YouTube highlights video - but there's a part of me that feels like he's going to be the usual bolter for round 1. Copley's injury certainly doesn't hurt his chances either.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I wouldn't be upset if Berryman got an opportunity. The only thing that concerns me is him bringing the ball out of trouble. He is not the biggest guy.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Cheers GTB, didn't take long for your report to be posted on BHQ either. :lol:

haha... oh right.. I do read the other forums but this is the only one I post in.

I should have mentioned also that Gillette played well. And Kemp put himself in the right positions to take advantage of the work inside him.

Big Pete

Referee
Everyone is just so desperate for news - so your reports are a great help, even if you are on Team Baptiste. :p

Big Pete

Referee
GTB would it be possible to do a run-through of every player and whether a moment stood out about them.

The news about Prince, Hoffman, Gillett & Kemp is definitely positive.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
BP I will give it a go but being at the game you don't see nearly as much compared with watching on TV. Plus it wasn't always easy to see who had the ball.

Hoffman. Best player. Looked dangerous with most touches. Sliced through the defence for a mid-range try and even played well in the centres when Bond came on.
Berryman - No comment
Copley - Looked ok until injured towards start of game
Kahu - Nothing stood out but I guess the main thing is he got through un-injured
Maranta - Same as with Berryman
Norman - had a bad game imo. Didn't show enough respect for the ball and some of his passes missed the mark.
Wallace - Better long kicking game than usual, but his passing game was a bit off. Copped a head knock which probably didn't help.
McGuire - Was easily our best prop.
Hunt - Terrible service and ball control.
Dodds - Didn't notice much. But that's a typical Dodd's performance
Glenn - Had some nice touches. He is a quality player, no doubt about it.
Gillett - Some nice runs and offloads, good signs from Gillett. One or two errors but that's the type of game he plays.
Parker - he went ok I think.

Prince - We definitely looked more dangerous when Prince came on. Seemed to organise our attack better and our attack was just more potent in general
Lui - Meh
Anderson - Meh
Stagg - Didn't really notice much

Granville - his ball service was a bit off but his scoots out of dummy half were 100 times more effective than Hunts
Molo - must not have got much game time or didn't play?
Slyney - average
Bond - Didn't get a great deal of game time unfortunately. A nice back line movement had put him in some space, but like many other times, the pass not great and went above his head and dropped it. It's a real shame as we would have been able to see him in the clear. I do hope he gets more opportunity
Kemp - positioned himself nicely to take advantage of the work inside him. Played a good wingers game.

Big Pete

Referee
Deeply appreciated GTB!

Hopefully the boys can learn from tonight's game and we can get a clearer reading of them next week when they're on the telly.

Barker

Juniors
I was at the game last night too. For what it's worth, here are my observations.
NEGATIVES:
-No improvement from Hunt or Norman. Same old Wallace. Just not creative enough. (I thought Srama from Titans made our hookers look second rate in the first half)
-The Broncos ball handling was atrocious and the referee was in love with his whistle. I don't know what the penalty count was but I reckon the Broncos only had 40-45% possession on the night.
-Our backline is desperate for a strike weapon. I just can't see us scoring a lot of points in a game. Losing Dale Copley just makes things worse

POSITIVES:
-Scott Prince was slow to get going but made a hell of a difference in the second half. Put on some great plays and tried a few different things.
-It looked to me like Wallace was dummy half for a while there in the second half, and I thought he and Prince played really well together. They really started to get things going. Joe Bond had gone to fullback and really showed some electric speed. He looked very dangerous although he dropped at least one pass from Prince which would have seen him go close to scoring. I really thought we were going to steam roll the Titans in the last 20 minutes or so.
-After a very disappointing first half, I thought the Broncos really muscled up in the second half and hit very hard in defence. I think our fitness was superior to the Titans and we were wearing them down late in the second half. Very pleasing

beads6

First Grade
Is it ok to be extremely worried about our prospects this season?? I feel like we really need a few of our younger players to become superstars to even be competitive. Our depth in backs and forwards is not there anymore either. Lets not even start on our halves drama. Our side is certainly worse off compared to last year IMO.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Thanks GTB for your player rundown. From other a reports it was scrappy affair which is what you would expect from pre season. What were the weather conditions? If you were voting on the game who would you select and why?

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Thanks for all the info GTB. Second half sounds like the go and was glad to hear Prince picked up the pace. There's a few players there I have never heard of and looking forward to next weeks clash.
cheers!