What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Origin U20's

Tucantango

Juniors
Given that it is likely that the annual U20's 'State of Origin' is going to be played over the same weekend as the 'City v. Country' and 'ANZAC Test', which is just over 4 weeks away I thought it would be time to start looking at the probable line-ups.

We are also into round 4 of the NYC so we obviously have some form on which to base opinions. Admittedly both states had camps prior to Christmas from which their respective teams are likely to come and I do know that NSW are now monitoring their players as we speak?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

minorthreat

Juniors
Based on last years team and who made the QAS junior emerging squad I think Queensland's team might look like this:

Starting side
1 Valentine Holmes
2 Nene Macdonald
3 John Folau
4 Breno Lee
5 Jordan Drew
6 Jaelen Feeney (Cam Munster if fit)
7 Anthony Milford
8 Francis Molo
9 Kierran Moseley
10 Lloyd Perrett
11 Patrick Mago
12 Corey Oates
13 Luke Bateman

Patrick Kaufusi would probably be in the starting side, but he injured his pec in round 1 so he will be unavailable. Pretty sure Cameron Munster is out injured as well. Not sure how long he's out for but, if he's available I'd have him at five-eighth. Jayden Nikorima played Qld 18's last year and is killing it this year, so he might be a chance. Marion Seve seems to be playing well so he might have a shot in the centres. Brendan Elliot from the Roosters is also an option in the backline.

Bench
14. Jayden Berrell
15, 16, 17. Ajuma Adams/Jai Arrow/Joe Ofahengaue/Christian Welch

For the bench I think they definitely need a back up hooker. Last year Rhyse Martin came on for Moseley and he struggled. So I'd have him there. Again I haven't seen much of these guys but I think the last 3 spots will be filled by Adams, Arrow, Ofahengaue or Welch. All were apart of the QAS squad in January. Jack Kelleher and Andrew Niemoeller are two guys who weren't in that squad that might have a chance.

I'm sure someone like Pete will have seen more/know more of the guys, like the Broncos players, to give better judgement.

Tucantango

Juniors
That's a formidable QLD line-up. You've just reminded me of how strong they actually are!

Feeney and Milford in the halves is a daunting prospect in itself, though I will question Feeney's defence at times!

Last edited:

Allstar Knights

Juniors
NSW.

1. Jake Mamo
2. Matthew Dufty
3. Sione Mata'utia
4. ?
5. ?
6. Jackson Hastings
7. Luke Brooks
8. Andy Saunders
9. Cameron McInnes
10. ?
11. Bryce Cartwright
12. Jack Bird
13. Luke Yates

A lot of that is based on form and footage I've seen this year. There's probably a lot more obvious and deserving players I've missed.

Last edited:

Tucantango

Juniors
I will have a stab. In doing so I have included players who are otherwise doing well in NSW Cup (notwithstanding that this does not guarantee a spot). My team is:

1. Clint Gutherson - Sea Eagles
2. Alex Johnson - Rabbits
3. Tyrone Philips - Bulldogs
4. Sione Mata'utia - Knights/Aaron Gray (Rabbits)
5. Jye Mamo - Knights/ Isah Yeo - Panthers)
6. Dylan Walker - Rabbits
7. Luke Brooks - Tigers
8. Matt Lodge - Storm
9. Zack Docker-Clay - Eels
10. Jake Trbojevic - Sea Eagles/ Addin Fonua-Blake - Dragons
11. Bryce Cartwright - Panthers
12. Kelepi Tanginoa - Eels
13. Jack Bird - Dragons
14. Danny Fualalo - Bulldogs
15. Pauli Pauli - Eels
16. Willis Meehan - Roosters
17. Adam Eliott - Bulldogs/ Chris Smith (Panthers)

In deciding upon this team I also had in mind:

Matt Dufty (Dragons): in great form but so is Clint Gutherson.

Jackson Hastings (Dragons): how do you displace the current halves unless they are injured or are earmarked for greater rep Honourable.

Brendan Cox (Bulldogs): see Hastings reasoning.

Drew Hutchinson (Dragons): see Hastings reasoning.

Taane Milne (Roosters): Out for 6-8 weeks.

I also considered Tepai Moeroa and a whole host of other forwards but the ones above will be hard to displace.

aqua_duck

Coach
Haven't seen Gutherson this season but I'm pretty sure he's not going as good as Mamo, don't think anyone is.

half_back

Juniors
I will have a stab. In doing so I have included players who are otherwise doing well in NSW Cup (notwithstanding that this does not guarantee a spot). My team is:

1. Clint Gutherson - Sea Eagles
2. Alex Johnson - Rabbits
3. Tyrone Philips - Bulldogs
4. Sione Mata'utia - Knights/Aaron Gray (Rabbits)
5. Jye Mamo - Knights/ Isah Yeo - Panthers)
6. Dylan Walker - Rabbits
7. Luke Brooks - Tigers
8. Matt Lodge - Storm
9. Zack Docker-Clay - Eels
10. Jake Trbojevic - Sea Eagles/ Addin Fonua-Blake - Dragons
11. Bryce Cartwright - Panthers
12. Kelepi Tanginoa - Eels
13. Jack Bird - Dragons
14. Danny Fualalo - Bulldogs
15. Pauli Pauli - Eels
16. Willis Meehan - Roosters
17. Adam Eliott - Bulldogs/ Chris Smith (Panthers)

In deciding upon this team I also had in mind:

Matt Dufty (Dragons): in great form but so is Clint Gutherson.

Jackson Hastings (Dragons): how do you displace the current halves unless they are injured or are earmarked for greater rep Honourable.

Brendan Cox (Bulldogs): see Hastings reasoning.

Drew Hutchinson (Dragons): see Hastings reasoning.

Taane Milne (Roosters): Out for 6-8 weeks.

I also considered Tepai Moeroa and a whole host of other forwards but the ones above will be hard to displace.

Good team Tuc, although I'd take Cherrington at 9. Clay pledged his allegiance to NZ in playing junior Kiwis and personally think Cherrington is more advanced at this stage, Clay would have been a special for 14 with his utility, I think Hastings could get that spot as he can play halves, fullback and I'm sure 9 at a pinch. On the bench I'd take Fonua Blake as Fualalo is your only reserve actually playing in the front row. No doubt Meehan and Pauli would be fine there having played there at schoolboy level although if memory serves we lost the corresponding 18s duel and got bashed in the middle. So I'd run

9. Cherrington - tigers

14. Hastings - Roosters
15. Danny Fualalo - Bulldogs
16. Pauli Pauli - Eels
17. Fonua Blake - Dragons

Tucantango

Juniors
Good team Tuc, although I'd take Cherrington at 9. Clay pledged his allegiance to NZ in playing junior Kiwis and personally think Cherrington is more advanced at this stage, Clay would have been a special for 14 with his utility, I think Hastings could get that spot as he can play halves, fullback and I'm sure 9 at a pinch. On the bench I'd take Fonua Blake as Fualalo is your only reserve actually playing in the front row. No doubt Meehan and Pauli would be fine there having played there at schoolboy level although if memory serves we lost the corresponding 18s duel and got bashed in the middle. So I'd run

9. Cherrington - tigers

14. Hastings - Roosters
15. Danny Fualalo - Bulldogs
16. Pauli Pauli - Eels
17. Fonua Blake - Dragons

I totally forgot about Clay in that regard! I remembered DWZ making the election but not him!

isaiah

Bench
newc v sharks on this morning, so mamo v holmes in a preview of the interstate game. both teams in winning form, thanks to these 2 stars of the comp.

half_back

Juniors
So the 9s are falling like flies. That leaves Kaysa Pritchard or Alex Thomas depending on Kaysa allegiance for mine in that order. Kelepi definitely eligible as he played last year. Other 2 I'm not sure about although as both haven't committed at 20s or higher by playing for country or state they could change allegiance if selected.

minorthreat

Juniors
Pretty sure Pauli and Mata'utia are aligned to NSW/Australia.

Haven't seen him play but Josh Chudleigh from the Cowboys may be a bolter for the 9. He's originally from Canberra and from all reports he's been one of NQs best. He might be down the list but one to keep an eye on if there are injuries.

aqua_duck

Coach
Can't believe Pangai and Sione Mata'utia played in the same team all the way through in the Newcastle junior comp (South Newcastle), felt sorry for the other kids.

Footy Mad

Juniors
NSW.

1. Jake Mamo
2. Matthew Dufty
3. Sione Mata'utia
4. ?
5. ?
6. Jackson Hastings
7. Luke Brooks
8. Andy Saunders
9. Cameron McInnes
10. ?
11. Bryce Cartwright
12. Jack Bird
13. Luke Yates

A lot of that is based on form and footage I've seen this year. There's probably a lot more obvious and deserving players I've missed.

I like Matt Lodge 10 ( storm ) and Charlie Taylor 4 or 5 ( Manly ) Australian Schoolboys winger, very fast player and a great finisher with the ball.

aqua_duck

Coach
I'd say Pauli Pauli, Jake Trbojevic, Clint Gutherson, Kelepi Tanginoa would come into consideration

Latest posts