What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Illawarra Rugby League Competition Thread

Weiry

Juniors
TIGERS MOVE TO THE TOP

Round 9 saw the Helensburgh Tigers continue a gold
run over the last few weeks which has seen a Challenge
Cup trophy, and significant representation in Illawarra
Division and NSW Country 1sts and 2nds teams. Their
resounding win over Dapto on Saturday, and Corrimal’s
upset win over Wests last Friday night, sent the Tigers
into outright first place on the competition ladder and
stretched their lead in the race for club championship.
Round 10 will see a much anticipated matchup when
the Tigers are on the road again at Parrish Park when
they take on Wests. The two consistent performers of the
competition should turn on a great game for spectators
in attendance. Wests will be smarting after an upset
loss to the Cougars who may have done Helensburgh no
favours in “poking the bear”.

Helensburgh have done well despite some long term
injuries to 1st graders and have not dropped any games
since the Round 5 lost to the Red Devils at Rex Jackson
Oval. No doubt they would love to return the favour and
get one over Wests on their home turf. The Red Devils
have had their forward depth tested in recent weeks, a
fact which the Cougars successfully targeted last Friday.
Even the re-appearance of coach Jason Ryles from the
interchange bench wasn’t enough to bolster the forward
stocks. Whilst the cupboard is a little bare, Greg “Buster”
Reh has been outstanding all year for Wests and is
playing like a front rower ten years his junior!

Both teams must have an eye on each other as we begin
the “second half” of the Illawarra Coal Cup season and
the run to the 2015 finals series.
The first grade encounter will be replayed on the Bar
TV digital network at licensed venues and via Bar TV
youtube at 7.30pm on Saturday night.

The Cougars again showed their great improvement
under Brendan Reeves in 2015 is the real deal when they
toppled Wests, after having the lead against Helensburgh
with 15 minutes to go in their previous outing. Collies are
battling injury and are looking to break a sequence of
losses but Corrimal must smell blood in the water and
a chance to again notch up back-to-back wins in 2015.
At Gibson Park, the match-up between Thirroul and
Dapto could have a big influence on the fortunes of both
teams as they battle for a top four place, with both locked
with Corrimal on 6 points. Dapto took out the Round
5 meeting, but the Butchers took a step forward last
weekend in putting Collies to the sword and are always
a tough proposition at “Gibson Park Stadium”. Both clubs
are being tested for depth with a long list of lower grade
injuries so the more experienced players in both camps
will need to step up.

Weiry

Juniors
Parrish Park - Saturday 4th July

HELENSBURGH
Coach: Ryan Powell

1 - Wayne BREMNER
2 - Sitiveni MOCEIDREKE
3 - Simon MASLANKA
4 - Kain EBB
5 - Azan TUROA
6 - Jarrod BOYLE
7 - Matt RICCIO
8 - Guy GELLATLEY
9 - Grant SMITH
10 - Steve McCALLUM (c)
11 - Rhian GERARD
12 - Chris LEWIS
13 - Daniel BURKE
19 - Jokatama DOKONIVALU

WESTS

Coach: Jason Ryles
1 - Bronx GOODWIN
2 - Mitch PORTER
3 - Bart HILL
4 - Tremaine JENSEN
5 - William TOM
6 - Nathan DUREAU
7 - Daniel HOLDSWORTH
8 - Greg REH
9 - Matt CLARKE (c)
10 - Marty CRAMP
11 - Aaron HERTSCH
12 - Nick KING
13 - Zac BLAY
14 - Jason GREEN
15 - Wade STANFORD

Weiry

Juniors
Round 10 Results

Collegians 26:
(?) tries; 3/5 goals def. Corrimal 24 (B. Rigg 2, M. Campbell, J. Denford) tries; (M. Campbell) 4/4 goals

Thirroul 28 (L. Swain, J. Whitty, J. Ruskin, R. James, J. McDevitt) tries; (T. McCarthy) 4/5 goals def. Dapto 10 (J. Hawkins, J. Morris) tries; (T Rata Robinson) 1/2 goals

Helensburgh 24 (S. Allen, K. Ebb, K. Tuuta-Edwards, S. Moceidreke) tries; (G. Smith) 3/3 goals (H. McCrae) 1/1 goal def. Western Suburbs 10 (M. Porter, B. Goodwin) tries; (M. Porter) 1/2 goals

Table

1. Helensburgh 14
2. Western Suburbs 10
3. Thirroul 8
4. Corrimal 6
5. Dapto 6
6. Collegians 4

Weiry

Juniors
Round 11 Results

Dapto 14
(A. Madden, J. Faughlin, L. Lulia) tries; (T. Pieper) 1/3 goals def. Corrimal 0

Helensburgh 18
(S. Maslanka, M. Riccio, S. McCallum) tries; (G. Smith) 2/2 (H. McCrae) 1/1 goals def. Thirroul 12 (T. McCarthy 2) Tries; (T. McCarthy) 2/2 goals

Western Suburbs 31 (D. Holdsworth. W. Tom, N. Dureau, N. King, B. Goodwin, T. Jensen) tries; (M. Porter) 3/6 goals (D. Holdsworth) Field Goal def. Collegians 10 (M. Pure, S. Rauicava) tries; (R. Jaeger) 1/2

Table

1. Helensburgh 16
2. Western Suburbs 12
3. Thirroul 8
4. Dapto 8
5. Corrimal 6
6. Collegians 4

Weiry

Juniors
Round 12 Results

Dapto 20 (J. Faughlin 3, J. Vaartjes) tries; (T. Pieper) 2/4 Drew with Western Suburbs 20 (M. Porter 2, B. Goodwin, W. Tom) tries; (M. Porter) 2/4

Helensburgh 34 (G. Smith. E. Hillen, S. McCallum, D. Efaraimo, J. Raper, D. Burke) tries; (G. Smith) 4/5 (H. McCrae) 1/1 def. Collegians 10 (S. Onur, S. Rauicava) tries; (R. Jaeger) 1/2

Corrimal 28 (M. Campbell, B. Rigg, C. Herekotukutuku, J. Pinnock, M. Gorman) tries; (M. Campbell) 4/5 def. Thirroul 22 (L. Higgins, J. Eager, M. Bate, J. McDevitt, M. Syron) tries; (J. Whitty) 1/5

Table

Helensburgh 18
Western Suburbs 13
Dapto 9
Corrimal 8
Thirroul 8
Collegians 4

Last edited:

Weiry

Juniors
Round 13 Results

Dapto 28
(A. Madden, M. Murphy, J. Morris, T. Pieper, L. Lulia) tries; (Te Rata Robinson) 4/5 def. Collegians 8 (R. O'Connor, J. Thompson) tries; 0/2

Helensburgh 42 (B. Ryan 2, K. Tuuta-Edwards 2, G. Smith, S. Allen, J. Boyle, S. McCallum) tries; (G. Smith, H. McCrae) 5/8 def. Corrimal 10 (B. Rigg, L. Yates) tries; (M. Campbell) 1/2

Thirroul 22 (T. McCarthy, L. Dodge, P. Franks, J. Johnson) tries; (T. McCarthy) 3/4 def. Western Suburbs 8 (H. Carpenter, J. Harty) tries; (M. Porter) 0/2

Table

Helensburgh 20
Western Suburbs 13
Dapto 11
Thirroul 10
Corrimal 8
Collegians 4

Updated Player Stats

Tries:

1. Mitchell Porter - 13 (Western Suburbs)
2. Simon Maslanka - 9 (Helensburgh)
3. Lulia Lulia - 8 (Dapto)

Goals:

1. Mitchell Porter - 34 (Western Suburbs)
2. Grant Smith - 29 (Helensburgh)
3. Matthew Campbell - 23 (Corrimal)

1. Mitchell Porter - 120 (Western Suburbs)
2. Grant Smith - 78 (Helensburgh)
3. Matthew Campbell - 63 (Corrimal)

Duns Simion

Juniors
Here we are at the last round of games in the 2015 Illawarra Coal Cup, and questions still remain.

The Corrimal Cougars have been a revelation this season, and an upset over Wests at Parrish Park tomorrow could see them grab a semi-final berth against Dapto.

At Gibson Park, the Butchers will be cheered on by the big contingent that turns up annually for their old boys day. The Butchers need to turn the tables on Collegians who rolled them 17-10 only two weeks ago. Should they lose, they have to rely on Corrimal not getting over Wests, and they should get through on a superior for and against record.

At Helensburgh, the Tigers and Dapto will be trying not to play all their cards on the eve of finals, as both assured of a place in the top four. Pride is a big motivator for most team and players, so even though the game may have no effect on their place in the finals, it could be the springboard into the finals they need with a good hit-out.

The Illawarra Mercury are ramping up finals coverage of all sports, and are asking clubs/supporters etc to include ‪#‎mercuryfinals‬ in all social media posts over the coming weeks, whether these are score updates, supporter photos or anything else relevant.

Next weekend sees finals action aplenty on Sat 29 Aug with Illawarra Coal Shield, Women in Defence League and U17s finals at Ziems Park, minor semis in Colts/2nds/1sts in the evening at Parrish Park, and major semi finals in Colts/2nds/1sts at WIN Stadium on Sunday 30 Aug.
Saturday 29 Aug is also a huge day of grand finals in MOD league competitions at Dapto Showground.

Best of luck to all teams who will fight for a place in the grand finals tomorrow!
#mercuryfinals

Weiry

Juniors
Semi Finals

Thirroul 34 (M. Bailey 2, T. Mccarthy, L. Higgins, J. Ruskin, J. Johnson) tries; (T. Mccarthy) 5/6 def. Dapto 24 (D. Moroko, J. Morris, T. Pieper, L. Lulia) tries; (F. Te Rata Robinson) 4/4

Helensburgh v Western Suburbs 3pm Sunday WIN Stadium

Thirroul are through to the Prelim Final and will play loser of ^

Winner of Helensburgh v Western Suburbs straight to the Grand Final.

Dapto are out of the finals

Weiry

Juniors
The Berkeley Eagles have announced their first major signing for their 2016 season return in former Parramatta Eel Taniela Lasalo

W.Smith

Juniors
haven't been on LU for a while and just found this thread, good stuff, longtime fan of the Illawarra comp since the late 70s as I would follow it through the Big League and RLW when I found out one of our local clubs, Wentworthville, were playing in the comp

I would also sit up late mid week and watch the Illawarra match of the week as we were able to get WIN tv although a weak signal but sorta watchable late at night where I grew up in Sydney, back then WIN was a truly regional station with local content and not just the WIN/NINE combo it is now

the comp back then was really strong with Corrimal, Thirroul, Wollongong, Norths, Wests, Helensburgh, Port Kembla, Collies etc and the comp always had a good influx of ex Sydney players

I started following Dapto who were captain/coached by Allan Fitzgibbon and I continued to follow it thru my adult life as when I started working I was able to get the Illawarra Mercury every day as I still do here in Dubbo

my daughters moved to Figtree this year so I was able to get to a couple of local games if Saints weren't playing including the GF where I sat on the hill with the mad Helensburgh fans who made it a great day despite the summery conditions and I saw three good games with Collies winning both the lower grades

Good to see Berkley back for next year and I would love to see Port back up in the Carlton League and although it may likely never happen I would also love to see Norths back in the comp - was great to see them win the Coal Shield comp this year and knocking off the Red Devils

Interesting to see how Nathan Fein goes next season as coach of Collies, he was so good for Thirroul in 2014 and I was pretty disappointed he didn't go for back to back comps with the Butchers

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Good to see Berkley back for next year and I would love to see Port back up in the Carlton League and although it may likely never happen

Port is still there, playing firsts in group 7, but struggling a little. But the club is still alive and had a fairly strong 18's this year which is a good sign.

st3dm4n

Juniors
For anybody who's interested in watching some games from the Illawarra comp. Search for the "BarTV Sports" channel on youtube. They usually have some live games & the rest are on delay.

Up The Butchers!!!