What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 International Calendar

hutch

First Grade
No word on Fiji v Samoa? The two nations who won the mid season tests were meant to play off for the pacific champions at years end.

Sinman

Juniors
I would guess that this has been canned.. Sadly there is no one seemingly being as ambitious with the pacific nations and getting games played as there is with the European nations.. It would be worth the investment to get a game like this happening!!

Bronco Rob

Juniors
A real shame that our administrators still can't see the forest for the trees. Imagine how big the NRL or the ESL would be if we had a World Cup that was half as big as RU. Grow the pie not the slice.

hutch

First Grade
A real shame that our administrators still can't see the forest for the trees. Imagine how big the NRL or the ESL would be if we had a World Cup that was half as big as RU. Grow the pie not the slice.

I'm almost at breaking point with international rugby league. Does anybody care? Do the people running the sport realise how big it could be for the whole sport? We were promised a ten year plan, we have nothing. The players union canned the ashes series so the players could have a year off despite half of them pulling out last year. There are no end of season pacific tests except for a hastily arranged one off World Cup qualifier in western Sydney. No changes to eligibility, no long term plans for any second tier nations relying on heritage players (Italy, Ireland, USA etc). We haven't heard boo from David collier since he was appointed CEO of the rlif, what is the plan to grow our sport?

Sinman

Juniors
I think it will ramp up in the lead up to the 2017 world cup but I agree that much more should be done.. for Samoa, Fiji and PNG to have no proper internationals post season will send them backwards. Even if NZ played one of them as a warm up match in the week after the grand final... It does show the need to have a plan in between world cups and even possibly a world 9's at the midway point as another product to sell..

deluded pom?

Coach
I'm almost at breaking point with international rugby league. Does anybody care? Do the people running the sport realise how big it could be for the whole sport? We were promised a ten year plan, we have nothing. The players union canned the ashes series so the players could have a year off despite half of them pulling out last year. There are no end of season pacific tests except for a hastily arranged one off World Cup qualifier in western Sydney. No changes to eligibility, no long term plans for any second tier nations relying on heritage players (Italy, Ireland, USA etc). We haven't heard boo from David collier since he was appointed CEO of the rlif, what is the plan to grow our sport?

You'd think the players would revel in the chance to play in an Ashes series. There's a whole generation of players who have never played a Test series. It's a pity they changed the criteria of what a Kangaroo is from a player who wore the green and gold on a foreign tour to one who has played anywhere for Australia.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade

Give credit where credit is due. The RLEF has done a phenomenal job with the pithy resources at their disposition. They've put on European cups with several tiers for years and years, which is probably the most sustained international effort anywhere. Look at the number of European nations coming on now compared to 10 years ago.

The problem is not everybody is on the same page, neither is everybody pulling in the same direction at all levels. The cause is the lack of a governing structure. The cogs are slow in turning but I'm convinced things are slowly being put into place.

langpark

First Grade
Give credit where credit is due. The RLEF has done a phenomenal job with the pithy resources at their disposition. They've put on European cups with several tiers for years and years, which is probably the most sustained international effort anywhere. Look at the number of European nations coming on now compared to 10 years ago.

The problem is not everybody is on the same page, neither is everybody pulling in the same direction at all levels. The cause is the lack of a governing structure. The cogs are slow in turning but I'm convinced things are slowly being put into place.

Agreed! It's come on in leaps and bounds!! Nowhere near perfect, but lightyears ahead of where it was just a decade ago, where we didn't even know if there' ever be another WC after the disaster that was WC2000.

For me the two most frustrating things that just won't go away are;
1) Players whining about playing too many matches -> then, the first thing to get culled are the internationals.
2) Constant rule changes and the continued existence of 3 versions of Rugby League (NRL, SL and International rules)... Then we complain about refs making mistakes!!

Mr. Sharky

Juniors
Agreed! It's come on in leaps and bounds!! Nowhere near perfect, but lightyears ahead of where it was just a decade ago, where we didn't even know if there' ever be another WC after the disaster that was WC2000.

For me the two most frustrating things that just won't go away are;
1) Players whining about playing too many matches -> then, the first thing to get culled are the internationals.
2) Constant rule changes and the continued existence of 3 versions of Rugby League (NRL, SL and International rules)... Then we complain about refs making mistakes!!

I have been thinking that for years.

The most logical solution would be to shorten the club season but the clubs aren't willing to take a financial pay cut to do it for the good of the game.

Don't start me on the rule changes, this is where the RLIF needs to have one uniform set of rules that the NRL and Super League have to follow.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Why do they all have to follow the same rules? Minor changes in each Comp can show you where the international rules should be. Its not like other sports don't do it.

hutch

First Grade
Why do they all have to follow the same rules? Minor changes in each Comp can show you where the international rules should be. Its not like other sports don't do it.

One set of rules is far more ideal. It's the same sport after all.

Dogs Of War

Coach
But the rules at there core are the same. Its just as certain comps become stronger and players are able to take advantage of rules the game can't wait for the international team to react. Especially not one as weak as ours.

Damn if the NBA has different rules to the international game then that's good enough for me. Even union does it to a degree. See the NRC comp

Jim from Oz

Juniors

I'm totally with you there Hutch. I can't believe the players said no to an Ashes series!!!! All that history seems to mean nothing!!! They'd never say no to State of Origin!!