What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 team/squad

alien

Referee
we can post new possible line ups/squads if/when there are new signings

1. inglis
2. johnston
3. walker
4. auva'a
5. gray
6. keary
7. reynolds
8. george burgess
9. mcinnes
10. tom burgess
11. mcqueen
12. sutton
13. grevsmuhl

14. carter
15. turner
16. tyrrell
17. clark

18. brown
19. cody walker
20. goodwin
21. olive
22. manulelua
23. nicholls
24. oldfield

imo we need another top prop or 2

Last edited:

Galeforce

Bench
that side will not cut it , 2015 just proved that.

we do need at least 2 young rookies to be bursting into the side /bench by mid year if not sooner.

At least one from ORange/ Simone/Goolagong/Manualala in the backs. We also need a REAL quality half backup , who can place real pressure on KEary/Reynolds and is a running half.Like JAck Bird .......if they are good enough they or KEary may be pushed to hooker role , if Mcinnes does not lift his form significantly in 2016.

At least two from Crighton/Musgrave/Brock GRay/ ?? in the forwards.
We also need at LEAST 1 Key back rower - either Taupau or that mode. the back row we have now has NOONE who is feared.

I await development / signing news especially with Grant expect to joint exodus of Luke ,Stewart , Goodwin and Reddy.

Curns13

Juniors
we can post new possible line ups/squads if/when there are new signings

1. inglis
2. johnston
3. walker
4. auva'a
5. gray
6. keary
7. reynolds
8. george burgess
9. mcinnes
10. tom burgess
11. mcqueen
12. sutton
13. grevsmuhl

14. carter
15. turner
16. tyrrell
17. clark

18. brown
19. cody walker
20. goodwin
21. olive

imo we need another top prop or 2

That team wont even make the top 8 and no rookie is going to make a big enough impact to change that. Either we recruit really well or we're back in rebuilding mode. How horrible is that bench?!

alien

Referee
That team wont even make the top 8 and no rookie is going to make a big enough impact to change that. Either we recruit really well or we're back in rebuilding mode. How horrible is that bench?!

a couple of good forwards is what we need. the backs are fine

Curns13

Juniors
a couple of good forwards is what we need. the backs are fine

Agreed. One good prop and one good second rower (Grevsmuhl is a key as well, continued improvement from him could turn him into a star). Also Nathan Brown should get better and more consistent and play a much bigger role. In my opinion Tyrrell and McQueen (unless he can be turned into an outside back which sounds insane but think of Corey Oates) shouldnt have a place and Clark and Carter (unless he becomes the no. 1 hooker) should be used very sparingly.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Any news on Tim Grant actually leaving?

I think we've got a squad of 22;

Kirisome Auva'a - Centre
Nathan Brown - Prop
George Burgess - Prop
Tom Burgess - Prop
Paul Carter - Hooker/Backrow
Jason Clark - Forward Utility
Tim Grant - Prop
Aaron Gray - Centre/Wing
Chris Grevsmuhl - Backrow
Greg Inglis - Fullback
Alex Johnston - Wing/Fullback
Luke Keary - Halves
Sam Manulelua - Wing
Cam McInnes - Hooker
Chris McQueen - Backrow
Darren Nicholls - Halves
Adam Reynolds - Halves
John Sutton - Backrow/Five-Eighth
Kyle Turner - Backrow
Dave Tyrrell - Prop
Cody Walker - Halves
Dylan Walker - Centre

So from that we have;

Fullback: 2
Wing: 3
Centre: 3
Halves: 5
Props: 6
Hookers: 2
Backrowers: 6

To me that's clearly not enough depth anywhere except for Prop and Halves. We definitely need to get things sorted by the beginning of the year. I know a lot of young guns will be in the NRL squad but that's yet to be seen.

Matrix

Juniors
that side will not cut it , 2015 just proved that.

we do need at least 2 young rookies to be bursting into the side /bench by mid year if not sooner.

At least one from ORange/ Simone/Goolagong/Manualala in the backs. We also need a REAL quality half backup , who can place real pressure on KEary/Reynolds and is a running half.Like JAck Bird .......if they are good enough they or KEary may be pushed to hooker role , if Mcinnes does not lift his form significantly in 2016.

At least two from Crighton/Musgrave/Brock GRay/ ?? in the forwards.
We also need at LEAST 1 Key back rower - either Taupau or that mode. the back row we have now has NOONE who is feared.

I await development / signing news especially with Grant expect to joint exodus of Luke ,Stewart , Goodwin and Reddy.
I agree that side is not good enough,but
Musgrave and Crichton are only 19 so it might be a bit much expecting them to have a major impact.Who is Orange?Not sure that Manuleulua and Simone are good enough for 1st grade.Oldfield should push for a wing spot,but we need another 2 forwards,imo and possibly an outside back for depth if Olive goes to the titans.

alien

Referee
Agreed. One good prop and one good second rower (Grevsmuhl is a key as well, continued improvement from him could turn him into a star). Also Nathan Brown should get better and more consistent and play a much bigger role. In my opinion Tyrrell and McQueen (unless he can be turned into an outside back which sounds insane but think of Corey Oates) shouldnt have a place and Clark and Carter (unless he becomes the no. 1 hooker) should be used very sparingly.

i rate grevsmuhl highly. he started off the season very well, but he is only young and wasn't used to playing first grade all year, and maybe got a bit worn down as the season went on, but he finished the season pretty good. young players are often a bit inconsistent. he will definitely improve and can play prop or backrow. i am happy with him starting at lock, which is basically used as a 3rd prop, but he can also roam out wider when the team is attacking the try line

i am hoping mcqueen gets back to his state of origin form. he used to be a dangerous second rower, running out wide.

players like tyrrell and clark aren't going to be superstars but with the salary cap, not all the 17 will be superstars, so they will be either just in the team, or just out. they wouldn't be on much coin, so at their best they can be valuable. players like brown and maybe some young forwards will challenge them for their spots, especially brown who i think is a good impact player off the interchange. if brown fires up, he adds energy to the pack

if we don't sign farah, and mcinnes is the dummy half, then i think carter will just be used to give mcinnes a rest during the games, and maybe play a few mins in the backrow

Matrix

Juniors
i rate grevsmuhl highly. he started off the season very well, but he is only young and wasn't used to playing first grade all year, and maybe got a bit worn down as the season went on, but he finished the season pretty good. young players are often a bit inconsistent. he will definitely improve and can play prop or backrow. i am happy with him starting at lock, which is basically used as a 3rd prop, but he can also roam out wider when the team is attacking the try line

i am hoping mcqueen gets back to his state of origin form. he used to be a dangerous second rower, running out wide.

players like tyrrell and clark aren't going to be superstars but with the salary cap, not all the 17 will be superstars, so they will be either just in the team, or just out. they wouldn't be on much coin, so at their best they can be valuable. players like brown and maybe some young forwards will challenge them for their spots, especially brown who i think is a good impact player off the interchange. if brown fires up, he adds energy to the pack

if we don't sign farah, and mcinnes is the dummy half, then i think carter will just be used to give mcinnes a rest during the games, and maybe play a few mins in the backrow
I think they should look to offload McQueen,hes on around $350k and offered next to nothing this year,imo.We have too many small backrowers,in McQueen,Clark,Carter,Turner who dont really offer much punch with the ball and are just basically tacklers.Definitely agree if we cant sign anybody major that Grevsmuhl should start in the 2nd row and Sutton at lock with 1 other.Hopefully Brown can get himself a bit fitter because at least he runs hard and trys to add some starch.

alien

Referee
I think they should look to offload McQueen,hes on around $350k and offered next to nothing this year,imo.We have too many small backrowers,in McQueen,Clark,Carter,Turner who dont really offer much punch with the ball and are just basically tacklers.Definitely agree if we cant sign anybody major that Grevsmuhl should start in the 2nd row and Sutton at lock with 1 other.Hopefully Brown can get himself a bit fitter because at least he runs hard and trys to add some starch.

if we do offload mcqueen then we will need to sign 3 good forwards, instead of 2. . .

Matrix

Juniors
if we do offload mcqueen then we will need to sign 3 good forwards, instead of 2. . .

Possibly although I would give Turner/Carter the McQueen role for a year if they dont measure up then we can offload them and get someone in for that role.

alien

Referee
Possibly although I would give Turner/Carter the McQueen role for a year if they dont measure up then we can offload them and get someone in for that role.

yeah but we still need at least 3 forwards with 1st grade experience outside of the top 17. not superstars, but players like clark, tyrrell, brown. there are always plenty of injuries in the forwards throughout the season

Curns13

Juniors
There have been rumours about getting Cook from the Bulldogs to fill the hooker spot haven't there? He looks like an upgrade over McInnes to me.

alien

Referee
There have been rumours about getting Cook from the Bulldogs to fill the hooker spot haven't there? He looks like an upgrade over McInnes to me.

i have heard rumours of him either coming to souths, or going to wests tigers

Rabbits20

Immortal
Young forwards we should have for next year are:

Brock Gray
Zane Musgrove
Jack Gosiewski
Cheyne Whitelaw
Tulsa Saumamao
Angus Crichton (he will have to bulk up to have a shot at a bit of first grade next year)

Rabbits20

Immortal
yeah but we still need at least 3 forwards with 1st grade experience outside of the top 17. not superstars, but players like clark, tyrrell, brown. there are always plenty of injuries in the forwards throughout the season

Spot on.

I'm thinking exactly the same way.

It's tough with the salary cap and the no frills players are important when injuries hit/suspensions.