What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 And Beyond

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Ok guys here is my theory on our team moving forward.
I think everyone agrees that this year is basically a gap year. My thinking is that Mary should experiment with various combinations at fb, centres and halves. Change the style of play to attack attack and attack as his boring structured style is the joke of the league.
Give the kids a fair go in fg and encourage them to play their natural game. Who knows this may surprise us all and we make the 8 !
I think in 2018 we have a shot at giving the comp a shake with a genuine half on deck and the young guys with a year of fg under their belt.

Crush

Coach
I agree Rod, I hope that is the way it all pans out. It would be great to see some attack and flair!
You do know that this thread will be de-railed though because you didn't finish your original post with a derogatory comment about mary?
Wait for it.

_snafu_

Immortal
He has nothing to lose by experimenting. Surely the days of the 4 hit ups followed by a clunky backline move and a shitty midfield bomb are over - it doesn't work.

getsmarty

Immortal
He has nothing to lose by experimenting. Surely the days of the 4 hit ups followed by a clunky backline move and a shitty midfield bomb are over - it doesn't work.

Yep, you are 100% Right. Mary will tweek it..3 hit- ups ..A Backline move x's 2 then a clunky bomb..

In all seriousness it will depend on how much input others have...2016 was 100 % Mary...that turned out to be

the worst coached Dragons team I have ever watched.

ALSGI

Bench
Ok guys here is my theory on our team moving forward.
I think everyone agrees that this year is basically a gap year. My thinking is that Mary should experiment with various combinations at fb, centres and halves. Change the style of play to attack attack and attack as his boring structured style is the joke of the league.
Give the kids a fair go in fg and encourage them to play their natural game. Who knows this may surprise us all and we make the 8 !
I think in 2018 we have a shot at giving the comp a shake with a genuine half on deck and the young guys with a year of fg under their belt.
Rocket, agree with most of your post but I for one don't agree about the 'gap year', I honestly believe we can atleast make the 8 - (and not just for Crush) only bad thing about making the 8 will be Doust will consider MCAnchor a sucess.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I think Mary should keep the old plodders on the paddock and fail miserably in 2017, with the aim of winning the "most improved" trophy in 2018.

BrissyRedV

Bench
A gap year suggests Mary is just warming the seat for a new coach in 2018 and blooding players in preparation for a proper title tilt in 2018. Mary however, still thinks he has a future as head coach for STGI and will be doing everything in his power to try and retain his seat which means he may not do the right thing by our juniors and players. His retention was one of the biggest errors in the past 5 years and has the potential to hurt us next year as well.

Crush

Coach
Rocket, agree with most of your post but I for one don't agree about the 'gap year', I honestly believe we can atleast make the 8 - (and not just for Crush) only bad thing about making the 8 will be Doust will consider MCAnchor a sucess.
ALSGI, I just get sick of all the negativity all the time. Rod posts a good positive thread about the dragons looking up for the future and everyone will just destroy it and turn it into YET ANOTHER Mary bagging thread. Cant we have one thread that doesn't turn into a sack the coach thread?
Lets hope the Dragons turn their abysmal form around this year and start playing some footy. Lets hope that with the guidance of Coyne and co Mary gets the boys playing a more attractive tough brand of football. And lets hope with a new halfback and coach next year we are truly a premiership heavyweight once again and back up the top where we belong.

BrissyRedV

Bench
ALSGI, I just get sick of all the negativity all the time. Rod posts a good positive thread about the dragons looking up for the future and everyone will just destroy it and turn it into YET ANOTHER Mary bagging thread. Cant we have one thread that doesn't turn into a sack the coach thread?
It is the reality of things. Expecting anything different from anything we have not already seen from the team with the inexperienced, incompetent supercoach is just fantasy. The forum may return to normal at the end of the year if a good coach is appointed as at least there will be hope and possibilities for 2018.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Lets hope the Dragons turn their abysmal form around this year and start playing some footy. Lets hope that with the guidance of Coyne and co Mary gets the boys playing a more attractive tough brand of football. And lets hope with a new halfback and coach next year we are truly a premiership heavyweight once again and back up the top where we belong.

Good point Crush. You are absolutely correct. There is no reason we can't do well this year. We have the forwards, we have the backs. All we need is a half, a five-eight and a hooker who can create opportunities. Mann, Nona, Havili, Field have all shown creative glimpses in those positions Its not all doom and gloom.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I also don't think we will have a "gap year" this year and I suppose what is meant by that. Does it mean we don't make the 8 or is it playing a better brand of football or something else?
We have around 3/4 of our squad off contract at the end of 2017 so many if not all will be playing for contracts not only with us but elsewhere as well.
Our recruitment appears to be doing well, targeting those we wish to keep and entering into negotiations with them, those on the fringe need a big year to cement spots. Our new recruits will also want to impress and I think they will.
It's a long season and many things can go awry, but for mine watching the boys play a brand of football that epitomises the Red V would be something that would be akin to saying we had a good go this year, to make the 8 would be a bonus. Yes, 2018 and beyond is looking promising but it doesn't mean this year couldn't be too.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
The team that we could field this year is definitely a team that can make the 8. I don't know about challenging for the title, but we'll give it a red hot crack at least.

I don't like to think of any year as a gap year. understandably you have rebuilding years and fallout years like we did after Bennett left, likewise with Newcastle. However you should always put everything you have into every season though, regardless of the cattle or the coaching situation.
I'm looking forward to seeing some of our new recruits in action. I honestly believe that Dufty and Field will kill it, Vaughan will have a breakout year (if the All Stars game is anything to go on) and Mciness will provide a fresh direction out of dummy half.
We're not QUITE there yet, but almost.

possm

Coach
While ever Mary believes he has a chance of a contract extension, he will be playing it safe. He will select experience over youth and a one out style of play over an expansive style. However, upon the announcement of a new coach for 2018, Mary will then understand he no longer has anything to lose. I'm sure the Club will instruct Mary to blood Field and Dufty in preparation for 2018.

Carlton

Juniors

Until we are sure Mary is not the coach for 2018 this will not change and it shouldn't. Back off the criticism and you will find Mary has been given an extension which I don't want even if we make the eight.

I want to see an improved attack but not at the expense of defence and/or structure. If it turns into an under 20's throw the ball around and hope, that's just as bad (in a different way) to what we've been producing for the last few years.

The best teams can attack but they also have solid defence and they all play to structure. Structure is not just 4 hit ups etc. It is knowing how to set up for your plays, when to use them, knowing what you are trying to achieve and chancing your arm when the opportunity has been earnt.

ALSGI

Bench
Crush, my post was actually positive, as I'm one that believes we'll make the 8 with our squad and who knows from there. I take your point about 'another Mary bagging thread' but there's not many opinions positive or negative that don't eventually lead to McIdiot.
So, in saying I think we'll have a good year a relevant point is that there's the danger that he could be extended.

Bench
Mary should go all out to bring Field, Dufty in particular into first grade. If they succeed he could rightfully say that under my leadership I was the one who made these players stars of the future.
It's a win win situation, he gets the plaudits and Saints wil get the players it needs to start a resurgence of our mighty club

Old Timer

Coach
Change is certainly possible and would be beneficial no doubt.
The trouble is the only way change can take place is for Mc Gregor to want it and too embrace it.
No amount of wishing on anyone else's part is going to achieve it and we are only a few small steps away from knowing what Mc Gregor really thinks about it and does about it.
It's like the old joke
'how many people does it take to change a light bulb?"
Only one but the light bulb really has to want to be changed.
Hopefully we have a very bright new bulb in the fitting and the light is actually turned on.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Change is certainly possible and would be beneficial no doubt.
The trouble is the only way change can take place is for Mc Gregor to want it and too embrace it.
No amount of wishing on anyone else's part is going to achieve it and we are only a few small steps away from knowing what Mc Gregor really thinks about it and does about it.
It's like the old joke
'how many people does it take to change a light bulb?"
Only one but the light bulb really has to want to be changed.
Hopefully we have a very bright new bulb in the fitting and the light is actually turned on.

Yeah agree OT.
It will be interesting to see wether we run out week after week playing the same football. He's already stated we will play a new style "what's in front of them" and focus on attack.
IF this fails and we are being soundly beaten each week will he:
A) keep the same game plan, or
B) revert back to the "old" style we saw lasy year.
There's no doubt in my mind he is on notice and it will be fascinating to watch him either grow into the coach he should be or self implode.
Just on a side note, I also wondered why Hornby gave the interview regarding selection of the CS squad. I would have thought the HC would be front and centre of this. Is it further evidence of 'tap on the shoulder' and Hodnby being groomed as the likely 'temperary replacement'?
So, 2017 is going to be exciting in more ways than one!

BrissyRedV

Bench
Just on a side note, I also wondered why Hornby gave the interview regarding selection of the CS squad. I would have thought the HC would be front and centre of this. Is it further evidence of 'tap on the shoulder' and Hodnby being groomed as the likely 'temperary replacement'?
May have had more to do with Mary's mothers condition than anything else.

Latest posts