What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Penalty Statistics

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Round 13

Roosters v Broncos

Penalty Count 4-8

Hand on the ball in the ruck 3rd tackle started the following set on the Broncs 30m line but dropped the ball on the 2nd tackle. good penalty that we didn't take advantage of. The set directly after Cordner gets penalized on the first tackle for holding down in the ruck that was so innocuous it could be called on every tackle in the game. Broncos go the length of the field and almost score leading to the push in the back penalty below
Push in the back while chasing a kick. No real benefit for us here. First tackle penalty
Holding Down in the ruck. Attacking their line after forcing a drop out. Third tackle but minimal benefit in the sense of territory gained. One of the Penalties that teams intentionally give away to set their defense. didn't work here as we scored on the following set.
Forcing Fergo into goal when already held. I Guess the benefit here is debatable if the calls goes the other way we are dropping the ball out. if you take the call on face value then the territorial benefit is minimal zero tackle penalty 20m advantage that doesn't put you on the attack.

To me this game was a good illustration of all penalties not being created equal. Two of the broncs tries came directly of what i would call subjective calls for infringements in the ruck that came late in the tackle count. and three other penalties coming out of their own end after the third tackle that they didn't convert but put them well and truly on the attack. As far as the tries the first one was a ruck infringement against Napa on the 4th tackle that honestly could have been called on 90% of the tackles in the game. Benji scored the following set. Second one was from a 3rd tackle holding down against Liu broncs go on the attack and Oates scores. Even their last try was on the back of a penalty however that was a foul play issue and not what im trying to highlight here.

The problem as i see it is subjective ruck penalties on the third tackle and after essentially guarantee the teams receiving the penalty an attacking opportunity care of the ref. Personally i would prefer to see attacking opportunities come from good defense, forcing mistakes (errors and 7 tackle sets) 40/20's and line breaks. weather or not ruck infringements should just result in the restarting of the tackle count i don't know. but our 1 bailout penalty coming out of our own end doesn't really compare to the Broncs 5 and the possible effect it can have on the result of the game.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Cummins was on a mission on Saturday. The forward pass call was a disgrace.

It was also so obvious that both teams were held to different standards in the ruck.

What a shame that the merkin still failed in his blatantly obvious quest to get the Broncos home.

Valheru

Coach
Not to mention we once again got 0 penalties in the 2nd half. At least on this occassion we arent the only ones as Brisbane are on track to have one of the best disciplined seasons of all time.

Also that call in the first half where the broncos knocked the ball after it was passed and tupou dropped it. Ref called it knocked back off broncos despite it going 5m towards our own goal line lol. Tupou still should have held it and scored but at worse it should have been a fresh set to us.

Zadar

Juniors
Not to mention we once again got 0 penalties in the 2nd half. At least on this occassion we arent the only ones as Brisbane are on track to have one of the best disciplined seasons of all time.

Also that call in the first half where the broncos knocked the ball after it was passed and tupou dropped it. Ref called it knocked back off broncos despite it going 5m towards our own goal line lol. Tupou still should have held it and scored but at worse it should have been a fresh set to us.

got our 4th penalty in the 54min.

Tommy Smith

Referee
For Benji pushing Gordon in goal.

So it wasn't a ruck penalty or an offside penalty as usual.

We could still be playing and they wouldn't have conceded an offside penalty... deapite being offside all night.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Cummins motives when reffing Roosters games are blatantly obvious.

And the opposition tread a fine line in the ruck and with their line speed knowing full well they can get away with more.

Zadar

Juniors
For Benji pushing Gordon in goal.

So it wasn't a ruck penalty or an offside penalty as usual.

We could still be playing and they wouldn't have conceded an offside penalty... deapite being offside all night.

There was one offside penalty in the whole match tommy, also there was only one offside penalty in the raiders match. Refs don't seem to give many offside penalties anymore, and to be honest both sides when we played the raiders were standing two meters offside when on the trylines.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Cummins is a cheat plain and simple. Now it is one of those stories you don't have to believe but, a mate of a mate (no I am not making this up) who is a Roosters supporter, works with Ben Cummins wife. He asked her why Cummins never gives us a fair go. Her response was simple 'he hates the Roosters'.

Valheru

Coach
Cummins is a cheat plain and simple. Now it is one of those stories you don't have to believe but, a mate of a mate (no I am not making this up) who is a Roosters supporter, works with Ben Cummins wife. He asked her why Cummins never gives us a fair go. Her response was simple 'he hates the Roosters'.

Our success (or lack thereof) under Cummins is legendary although we were on the right side of a 5-2 penalty count in the 2013 GF which was a minor miracle.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Round 14

Roosters v Tigers

Penalty Count 4-5

This was a game where we managed to score off the back of the penalties we received. Of the 4 penalties 3 of them were the more valuable ruck penalties that either put us on the attack or gave us another set on the tigers line. Still lost the count.

Holding down in the ruck second tackle - Good penalty coming out of our end we scored off the back of the following set

Holding down in the ruck second tackle - another good one (shock horror) put us on the attack and i cant remember exactly if we scored off the back of it immediately or got a repeat set and scored off that. Either way another conversion off the back of a subjective ruck penalty coming out of our own end.

Tiger player in front of the play the ball who got involved in the play - Don 't see many of these commentary described it as if a player is in front of the play the ball then they cant ever be involved in that play. Essentially just a turnover from the tigers we gained about 15 meters from the kick for touch and had our first tackle around the 30m line..

Marker not square fourth tackle - We were on the attack for this one and the tigers were scrambling. Scored on the following set.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
Just a couple added notes to the above.

This was the battle of the cellar dwellers in terms of penalties received. We only got the one penalty in the 2nd half for the 2nd straight week although wests only got one in the first half.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The tigers got 3 of their penalties in the last 12 mins when the game was over. The first one was for a high tackle which had to be awarded.

Now not for a second do I think the penalties cost us yet the marker not square against us particuarly annoyed me as the roosters had been guilty of this twice earlier. And yes the Guerra try was off the second penalty received.

An issue for the Tigers in the first half was that the roosters turned over so much ball that the pocked ref turned into the main ref every time we were in possession. These guys never blow ruck/offside penalties and the roosters pushed it every time knowing this.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Back again for this week... Was away in Melbourne last week so wasn't able to keep track of the stats as i was watching in the hotel bar.

Round 17

Roosters v Sharks

Penalty Count 5-6

This was a game where the weight of possession in the first half just killed us. after 60 minutes we had made 100 more tackles than the Sharks which we really brought on ourselves with some of those silly penalties and poor 5th tackle options. The JWH forearm and the Napa swinging arm stand out for mine. on the penalty received side of things all bar the high tackle from Jimmy came very early in the count.

Holding down in the ruck first tackle - decent penalty coming out of our end which we scored off the back of the following set. on Maloney

High Shot fourth tackle - a good one that put us on the attack which we then went and butchered with a piss poor 5th tackle option. also Maloney

Holding down in the ruck second tackle - we got some ruck penalties in this one but they were all early int he count and didn't guarantee us an attacking opportunity like the late count one do. beggars cant be choosers i suppose. On Fifita

Holding down in the ruck second tackle- see above also on Fifita

Ball stripped in the Ruck- Was a funny one Bird was trying to help untangle one of his teammates from the tackle ans the ball popped out. game gone by now anyway.

The good news for NSW is the Graham Fifi and Maloney looked really good despite giving away 4 of the 5 penalties.. Bad news Pearce not so much..

Valheru

Coach
We can't complain about anything in the Sharks game. The Sharks did concede 3 less than their average and only 1 in the first half but they also completed their first 22 sets and dominated possession and position.

That penalty that we gave away on 5th tackle for an unnecessary foul against a chaser was ridiculous. Latrell was never not going to collect that kick and after defending well for 2 sets we looked like we were going to be able to get some possession but nope, penalty and sharks go 20-12 up before the break.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
We can't complain about anything in the Sharks game. The Sharks did concede 3 less than their average and only 1 in the first half but they also completed their first 22 sets and dominated possession and position.

That penalty that we gave away on 5th tackle for an unnecessary foul against a chaser was ridiculous. Latrell was never not going to collect that kick and after defending well for 2 sets we looked like we were going to be able to get some possession but nope, penalty and sharks go 20-12 up before the break.

yeah i forgot about the Latrell penalty. So that's three of our 6 penalties that were totally self inflicted and as a direct result of actual poor discipline... *not the imagined poor discipline that the commentators always throw us under the bus for .. ha-ha

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Round 18

Roosters v l0L@$0uFF$

Penalty Count 8-7

Well we actually finally won a penalty count although the only second half penalties we managed to get were for foul play/offside...

Holding down in the ruck second tackle- this put us straight on the attack but we didn't convert.

Leg Pull first tackle- this once again put us sragiht on the attack which we convert to a try

Hand on the ball second tackle- we take the two

Tackled without the ball 4th Tackle
- this puts us back on he attack again but dick fingers (Guerra) drop it on the first

Interference in the play the ball first tackle- one again on the attack but dick fingers taller more useless cousin drops it in the play the ball (in Evans defense it was a clear penalty for crowding/coming back in with the knee from Sam)

From here i believe Toops puts one down and we lost all momentum which wasn't helped by the 7-0 penalty count that it coincided with. As mentioned above we received zero ruck penalties in the second half which but luckily Souths gifted us a few with ill discipline.

Mitchell taken out after the kick on the 4th tackle- Scored the match sealing try of the back of this

Offside from the kick zero tackle- JWH drops it on the first after we got bailed out by the offside when Gordon dropped it

Burgess Facial on Mitchell zero tackle- good penalty in that it meant Souths didn't get a shot at a hail Mary at the end.

Lambretta

First Grade
Another thing I've noticed is that the ref's are desperate to penalise Jared to give away the first penalty of the match. Two weeks running, Jared has been penalised first and yet he didn't have a hand on the attacker at all. He was up and ready and waiting for the guy to play the ball, and the ref penalises him for no reason at all. Getting real sick of it. Has anyone noticed if this has happened in any other matches this year ? I only started noticing it the last two weeks, but wouldn't be surprised if it has been going on all year.

The referees must have thought he was from New South Wales and not New Zealand

They do this to the Blues every Origin game until Queensland are in the ascendancy

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Round 20 Rooster v Knights and back on the more familiar losing side of the penalty count.

Penalty count 6-7

Offside Zero Tackle- Knights offside on their kick chase put us on the attack but try called back for the Keary forward pass.

Leg Pull Zero Tackle- Peace received the kick and manages to get the penalty once again on the attack we get the line break around halfway and Keary goes through to score on the next tackle.

Holding Down in the Ruck Third Tackle- This was one of those good late tackle count penalties off the back of a good run from JWH put us in the attack but we dropped it on the second tackle

Offside First Tackle- After the Toupu line break off the scrum they don't get back the 10. We almost score but Watson gets pinged for dropping the ball (which i didn't think he actually did. double movement if anything, if the ball touched the line that is)

Markers Not Square 4th tackle- Pearce gets out of dummy half and forces the refs hand. don't manage to cores off the back of it.

Ball Stripped after tackle complete 1st tackle- we score off the back of this one early in the count but directly after a Newcastle drop ball.

Only 2 second half penalties again