What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 SEASON

alien

Referee
It's getting closer!

That new women's league starts tonight in around 25 minutes (Collingwood V Carlton). It will be live on the Fox Footy channel. Go the Collingwood Magpies! :D

Jatz15

Juniors
Scrappy, few skill errors and dropped marks, but entertaining to watch. Amazing crowd, 24.5k with a lock out, will be curious to see the ratings. Lots of haters of course.
Need to see what the other games bring, but 27k or so turning up to watch a womens match that was live on FTA is a bit of a statement.

alien

Referee
Scrappy, few skill errors and dropped marks, but entertaining to watch. Amazing crowd, 24.5k with a lock out, will be curious to see the ratings. Lots of haters of course.
Need to see what the other games bring, but 27k or so turning up to watch a womens match that was live on FTA is a bit of a statement.

Yeah the attendance was very good. Some of the players were good. Not many on the Magpies team were good though! :(

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
No doubt a lot of people wanted to be able to say they attended teh first ever womens AFL game and the fact that it was Carlton and Collingwood is probabaly the biggest local derby.

I dont think fans are going to persevere for too long in watching a game for 3 hours where your team only kicks 1 goal when the men kick around 12-15 goals a game.

I think this will be a fizzer.

alien

Referee
No doubt a lot of people wanted to be able to say they attended teh first ever womens AFL game and the fact that it was Carlton and Collingwood is probabaly the biggest local derby.

I dont think fans are going to persevere for too long in watching a game for 3 hours where your team only kicks 1 goal when the men kick around 12-15 goals a game.

It didn't go for 3 hours - It was only 15 minute quarters. I think the other teams will score more points than what Collingwood did.

AuckMel

Bench
Wasn't surprised by the standard of the games having watched a bit of girls footy over the years. Will improve over time (it needs to) and no doubt grow.

Jatz15

Juniors
Standard has already improved after just 5 rounds. Adelaide Brisbane pulled 12k which is massive. Mens preseason has started as well, a lot of doomsayers were saying that they would get some crowds until the men started running around, then it would die. That clearly has not happened.

A GF in Adelaide could conceivably pull 20k +

I am more optimistic of the standard over time than some. Some of the players have some problems with skills such as picking up the bouncing ball, but if you look at the 18 and 19 yo out of the youth girls program, they are a step up at least. There are going to be a lot more of them over the next 2 years.

Jatz15

Juniors

They are now getting 5 - 7 goals a game regularly. Given a mens game is 80% longer, it isnt to bad in terms of scoring rate.
Average crowd is now in the 7.5k range, and excluding the opener is likely in the 6 - 7 k range.
AFL takes that every day of the week.

AuckMel

Bench
Watched a bit of the Pies game v Dogs but that's about it now with local footy starting.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
over it already, evey time you turn on Fox news its all about AFLW and for mine its terrible

AuckMel

Bench
Didn't see a lot of difference in quality from start to finish and probably on par with div 3 reserves.

Free admission was a master stroke. Obviously needs time to grow and for player development which was clearly an issue this time around.

Port, Melbourne (not so much), Essendon and Brisbane winning was a surprise.

Hopefully Nick's ok after his nasty knee injury. One of the best two way runners in the game.

Skcusy Bgur

Juniors
Was sceptical of the AFLW concept, but you couldn't doubt their desire and attack on the ball. Tough, uncompromising, no holds barred, no beg your pardons. Disposal will get better and it's good for young women who want to continue to play the game to have a goal to aspire to.

But it's great the season proper has commenced.

Latest posts