What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Women's World Cup

flamin

Juniors
http://www.nrl.com/international-womens-game-ready-to-grow/tabid/10874/newsid/94138/default.aspx
While most of her matches have come against the Kiwis, Bremner is hoping to see the women's international game grow and hopes next year's World Cup can be the catalyst for expansion.

"We play New Zealand a lot, and they are an awesome team, but it would be great to play against other countries as well," Bremner told NRL.com.

"I don't know about the logistics of having warm-up games with other countries, but I think it would be awesome to.

"Last World Cup we played against NZ, France and England, and they were awesome.

"England was probably one of the hardest games I've played. They are solid and tough and rough; completely different to the Kiwis, but still a great challenge.

"I'd love to play someone like Canada or America who I know are trying to build a rugby league side. It'd be great to have some sort of practice against them."

Any news from North America on possible women's teams? It would be great if we could expand it beyond the four from last World Cup. You'd think PNG might be able to field a team as well?

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Samoa and PNG will have teams. Samoa (i would guess NZ based) played NZ Maori end of last year in a game.

I would suggest Tonga will be able to raise a team based on NZ and Australia based players.

yakstorm

First Grade
The PNG Raggianas, the women's representative team, will be at the 2017 World Cup. The PNGRFL and PNG Womens Rugby League have been scheduling a number of domestic representative games to help PNG prepare for the tournament.

The Samoa Fetu, as already mentioned have been playing internationals on a semi regular basis including hosting the Jillaroos in 2011 in Apia.

Hopefully Russia can make a return to the tournament as well.

latingringo101

Juniors
We really need to expand the women's game as well as the male version.

Realistically we could have 5 to 8 nations fielding teams in the Women's world cup if we really wanted to.

yakstorm

First Grade
Completely agree. Being able to have nations running both male and female competitions helps with the overall growth of the sport.

The growth in profile of the Jillaroos in recent years has seen womens & girls Rugby League become one of the growtj areas of the sport in Australia (helping overall participation numbers especially as males numbers have taken a hit)

In Hungary the Women's Federation is actually driving the spread of the code in the country far more significantly than the men.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Sorry need to correct myself...NZ Maori beat Fiji 32-16 in NZ Oct last year...so there is another nation they should be at the World Cup

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
So in 2008 they had Australia, England, Russia, France, NZ, Samoa, Tonga and Pacific Islands. Sadly in 2013 they only had Australia, England, France and NZ.

Such a shame the Female International game has not continued to grow.

In future i believe if you are to qualify for the Mens RLWC then you need to have females playing internationals and juniors in the U18 age group.