What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018-2022 Media Deal $ Value

Perth Red

Post Whore
The only way you can improve on that for Fox is additional teams (18),then the NRL comes armed with a persuasive argument.

I’m not sure that another game in regards to advertising makes any difference to Fox, they are about subscribers. Convincing them that more Brisbane people and Perth people will subscribe if they have extra nrl clubs in those cities and offering them the extra game exclusive is the best hope of them stumping up the $30mill a year extra that is needed for expansion.

In fact I’d just go to the market and say who would like to buy an nrl game for $30mill a year?

Stallion

First Grade
I’m not sure that another game in regards to advertising makes any difference to Fox, they are about subscribers. Convincing them that more Brisbane people and Perth people will subscribe if they have extra nrl clubs in those cities and offering them the extra game exclusive is the best hope of them stumping up the $30mill a year extra that is needed for expansion.

In fact I’d just go to the market and say who would like to buy an nrl game for $30mill a year?

Guarantee another Brisbane team playing on the weekend would grow/increase FTA tv ratings bigtime! It would share around the primetime tv slots and create another decent drawing tv game for sure . Remembering it's often stated that half of Brisbane dislike the Broncos and the other half like them. Think their is something missing for sure on Brisbane as far too flight rugby league is concerned. Adding two more teams with one in Brisbane will avoid a bye. 18 team comp is the logical way to go. But that's not the way the current administrators aspire to. They are sitting on their hands. That's what's noticeable.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Ten set to pitch for NRL rights

Network 10 has fired a shot across the bow of the Nine Network by confirming it is ready to compete for rugby league rights when the ARL Commission heads to the market, possibly as early as next year.

Ahead of a meeting with club bosses next week, where discussion over the game’s footprint and broadcasting rights are set to take centre stage, 10 chief executive Paul Anderson indicated his network was primed and ready to grab a slice of the rugby league pie.

“Major sports remain a part of our long term strategy — we have been a significant player in the past and there is no reason why this will change as attractive future rights become available,” Anderson said.

“Network 10 is part of a global media company that has a significant sporting legacy with franchises that are a very important part of their network.”

It is understood representatives from Network 10 have already made contact with some clubs as they look to carry out due diligence on a potential bid for the broadcasting rights.

The network is owned by CBS Studios International, which runs global businesses worth more than $20 billion and has a longstanding interest in the NFL in the US.

Money will not be an issue, although The Weekend Australian was told Network 10 officials would likely require the imprimatur of their American bosses given the outlay required to snatch rugby league from the Nine Network. Revelations that Network 10 is eyeing rugby league will be manna from heaven for the ARL Commission and the NRL, as they contemplate entering negotiations over broadcasting rights as early as next year.

The existing deal with the Nine Network and Foxtel runs until the end of 2022, but there is a school of thought within the commission and NRL that the game would be best served by heading to market early, thereby heading off the AFL and ensuring they have some stability for their clubs going forward.

Their best hope of extracting another big deal for the game is by creating some competitive tension in the market. Network 10 were previously involved in bidding for the NRL rights when they were under the control of former chairman Lachlan Murdoch and ex-chief executive James Warburton.

That plan failed to come to fruition but Warburton is now the chief executive of Seven West Media, the other network likely to challenge for rugby league rights.

Warburton was unavailable for comment on Friday.

The NRL could yet look to show games on more than one commercial network to maximising income, a scenario that has been contemplated in the past.

News of Network 10s interest in rugby league comes as the code grapples with the future of Sydney clubs and the concept of introducing another team in Brisbane, potentially at the expense of a Sydney club. Nine Network officials kicked off the debate last weekend and it has gained traction — Queensland Rugby League chair Bruce Hatcher was among those to suggest Sydney clubs should merge to create space for teams in Adelaide and Perth.

The existing deal was worth over $2 billion, allowing the commission to pay the clubs more than $13 million apiece each season.

A drop in broadcasting income would be a sledgehammer blow to those same clubs given how reliant they are on funding from the governing body to keep them afloat.

taipan

Referee
I've been saying this for a while, and not giving myself a rap, just the simple fact is ATM Ch10 has some programs that one could described, as being used at a 12 year old's party-guess this,charades,have you been paying attention lately, and something about singers wearing masks and costumes,absolutely riveting stuff.

They have a huuugge as Dazza Eastlake would describe owner in CBS etc.They want a ratings sport that will boost eyes on the box, thus more TV revenue for ads.

They could do no worse than the at times lazy, stale efforts of ch 9 in the last few years.Ch10 if successful would have different ideas ,offer a different commentary team perhaps, with people who come across as decent speakers ,rather than raspers, shouters or the local yobs one meets at Dominoes on a Friday night.
Please channel 10 just do it.Either grab a slice of the action ,share it with 7,or make ch9 pay overs for a 18 team comp.
Another bidder for the NRL come on down, you little ripper.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
I've been saying this for a while, and not giving myself a rap, just the simple fact is ATM Ch10 has some programs that one could described, as being used at a 12 year old's party-guess this,charades,have you been paying attention lately, and something about singers wearing masks and costumes,absolutely riveting stuff.

They have a huuugge as Dazza Eastlake would describe owner in CBS etc.They want a ratings sport that will boost eyes on the box, thus more TV revenue for ads.

They could do no worse than the at times lazy, stale efforts of ch 9 in the last few years.Ch10 if successful would have different ideas ,offer a different commentary team perhaps, with people who come across as decent speakers ,rather than raspers, shouters or the local yobs one meets at Dominoes on a Friday night.
Please channel 10 just do it.Either grab a slice of the action ,share it with 7,or make ch9 pay overs for a 18 team comp.
Another bidder for the NRL come on down, you little ripper.
Anyone but nine.

VictoryFC

Bench
Not sure why that article says 7 will also be interested. Seems unlikely, no?

10 is perfect. Theyll actually take pride in televising the league nationally and promote it. 9 cant wait to switch to something else the second a game finishes in victoria

taipan

Referee

True ,but extra clubs should mean extra subscribers for the newbies, and a better chance of grabbing advertisers with a national feel to the code.
But don't discount ch10 now entering the fray, in the bidding war.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
To hear channel 10 wants in is very good news.

To change the topic abit..... would it be an idea to do a deal with whoever the Ptv/streaming company is that gets the rights, has a club membership deal either built into the cost or can add the membership number in and receive extra benefits. $5/month extra or something.

Starkers

Bench
one thing with ch10 is, they don't really have serious news. the project runs from 6.30-7.30 each night.

so you'd assume there's going to be fewer carve ups on the NRL. we might also get proper pre and post game shows and if they most the project to a 6pm start we might actually be able to start games at 7.30pm like they're supposed to.

taipan

Referee
one thing with ch10 is, they don't really have serious news. the project runs from 6.30-7.30 each night.

so you'd assume there's going to be fewer carve ups on the NRL. we might also get proper pre and post game shows and if they most the project to a 6pm start we might actually be able to start games at 7.30pm like they're supposed to.

If getting the NRL means either flicking that self indulgent, ego driven The Project or moving it to the midnight hour, it'll get my Jimmies going.

flippikat

Bench
Spark Sport have bought the cricket rights over here in New Zealand - 6 year deal starting April 2020.

Another big loss for Sky Sport.. it's gonna be interesting to see what happens with NRL and Rugby Union rights here in the next few months as they go into negotiations.

(Edit) link to the news: https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket...and-cricket-broadcasting-rights-for-six-years

I see Spark Sport will partner with TVNZ for some live games on free-to-air TV. This might be a model for the NRL to consider in NZ, as Sky's FTA arm (Prime TV) put a terrible delay on any free coverage.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Guarantee another Brisbane team playing on the weekend would grow/increase FTA tv ratings bigtime! It would share around the primetime tv slots and create another decent drawing tv game for sure . Remembering it's often stated that half of Brisbane dislike the Broncos and the other half like them. Think their is something missing for sure on Brisbane as far too flight rugby league is concerned. Adding two more teams with one in Brisbane will avoid a bye. 18 team comp is the logical way to go. But that's not the way the current administrators aspire to. They are sitting on their hands. That's what's noticeable.

Mate - he was clearly talking about Subscription TV, not FTA TV

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Getting away from 9 is the best thing RL could do moving forward. 7 did an awesome job with the RLWC coverage and 10 would at least give us a fresh commentary team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Latest from New Zealand: Sky strongly rumored to have rugby union rights from 2020 to 2025 inclusive.

$400 million NZ for 6 years.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/1...blacks-super-rugby-rights-in-400-million-deal

Look for Spark Sport to bid heavily for NRL now - it's their one big chance for a major winter code.

Interesting times...

It was interesting that for the first time in years the nrl never announced the Nz sky deal value this time. Previously it’s been around $20mil a year. You’d think spark would go hard to slightly better that? What did they pay for cricket?

flippikat

Bench
It was interesting that for the first time in years the nrl never announced the Nz sky deal value this time. Previously it’s been around $20mil a year. You’d think spark would go hard to slightly better that? What did they pay for cricket?

No price was disclosed for Spark's cricket deal, so it remains a mystery.

They did say they were going to bid for the rugby union rights... so if they had the money to have a tilt at that, surely thwy can match Sky for NRL. Actually.. given the respective fortunes of the the two companies recently, I suspect that if it came down to an intense bidding war for NRL then Sky may lose. They've already put their house on Rugby Union.

Check out this article for graphs of Sky and Spark's share price over the last year or so.

Sky shares are on a trajectory not suitable for aircraft. (So to speak)

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12275143

(Edit) If part of a Spark deal for NRL was showing a game or two per weekend free-to-air on TVNZ (as they do with other sports), then TVNZ may "top up" the offer.. making it easier to out-bid Sky, and appealing to the NRL as they get a better FTA profile here.

Currently, free to air NRL games are on Prime (which is owned by Sky), and usually on really late. I don't think the NRL get any money separately from Prime for FTA rights, as it's bundled with Sky.

Last edited:

wain

Juniors
a
Getting away from 9 is the best thing RL could do moving forward. 7 did an awesome job with the RLWC coverage and 10 would at least give us a fresh commentary team.
absolutely agree!
As someone in an expansion market (Adelaide), Im sick of the years of underwhelming coverage. In a market where we get enough negative press from the AFL cronies, it kills me to turn on ch 9 coverage and get more negativity from Gould, etc about the state of the game, referees, etc.

With ch 10 hopefully having deep pockets, Id be stoked if they made a big play similar to last time, offering 4 games per week again.
Then 7 and 9 can battle it out for origin and internationals :)

flippikat

Bench
a

absolutely agree!
As someone in an expansion market (Adelaide), Im sick of the years of underwhelming coverage. In a market where we get enough negative press from the AFL cronies, it kills me to turn on ch 9 coverage and get more negativity from Gould, etc about the state of the game, referees, etc.

With ch 10 hopefully having deep pockets, Id be stoked if they made a big play similar to last time, offering 4 games per week again.
Then 7 and 9 can battle it out for origin and internationals :)

I get a feeling that free-to-air coverage in BOTH Australia & New Zealand has been suffering from the complacency of the existing FTA broadcasters.

Channel 9 have taken the NRL for granted for so long, and Prime here in NZ treat NRL almost as an afterthought (basically due to them being owned by Sky, they don't wanna put anything live or near-live so Sky can maximise subscriptions).

If they get comparable bids that involve OTHER FTA partners, I think change will happen, just to refresh the games profile for those without pay TV.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I get a feeling that free-to-air coverage in BOTH Australia & New Zealand has been suffering from the complacency of the existing FTA broadcasters.

Channel 9 have taken the NRL for granted for so long, and Prime here in NZ treat NRL almost as an afterthought (basically due to them being owned by Sky, they don't wanna put anything live or near-live so Sky can maximise subscriptions).

If they get comparable bids that involve OTHER FTA partners, I think change will happen, just to refresh the games profile for those without pay TV.

may the nrl could come up wth something that is attractive to nz tv and helps here ie Most Friday 6pm Friday game (aest) To be played in NZ. That way fta could lock in that time slot for fta coverage and know it will feature 12 warriors home games plus say another 6-10 games the nrl supports to be played in nz by other teams. Spreads the game in nz, grows interest in the game in one of the codes most important nurseries and starts to lay the platform for future expansion.