What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018-2022 Media Deal $ Value

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
tend to agree...
I actually thought the NRL went to the table at the last deal with talk of separating out Origin and Internationals but it never came to fruition, just got chucked in with the premiership it seems.

I'd call it disappointing but I think it's par for the course really.

Starkers

Bench
I actually thought the NRL went to the table at the last deal with talk of separating out Origin and Internationals but it never came to fruition, just got chucked in with the premiership it seems.

I'd call it disappointing but I think it's par for the course really.

yeah i think they succumbed to ch9 in the end on that one. they are the entity which keeps complaining about separating things like premiership games and origin.

in an ideal world, i think next time around we need 5 games live on FTA. thur, fri, sat arvo, sat night, sun with an additional team like perth or 2nd qld (or both) and foxtel/kayo or another streaming can have the rights to everything including origin/rep, finals and GF.

that would maximise it nicely in my view.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Next deal would be good to see 3 FTA games Fri night, Sat night Sunday 2pm afternoon
3 Fox games Saturday x2 Sunday 4pm

The remaining 3 games exclusive on NRL digital on Sat and Sun at same time as other games that would also simucast the other 6 games. We need to move away from crappy KO times to maximise crowds and revenue for clubs from crowd attendnace. You could do things like split screen live viewing etc for games played at same time
If they are really spending $100million of the games money on "digital" then we need to be in a position by 2023 to be getting maximum return and setting the game up for the future of TV viewing.

Timmah

Staff member
Next deal would be good to see 3 FTA games Fri night, Sat night Sunday 2pm afternoon
3 Fox games Saturday x2 Sunday 4pm

The remaining 3 games exclusive on NRL digital on Sat and Sun at same time as other games that would also simucast the other 6 games. We need to move away from crappy KO times to maximise crowds and revenue for clubs from crowd attendnace. You could do things like split screen live viewing etc for games played at same time
If they are really spending $100million of the games money on "digital" then we need to be in a position by 2023 to be getting maximum return and setting the game up for the future of TV viewing.
I think the move away from linear (FTA) television will continue to happen as the end of this deal approaches and the traditional viewing model will be significantly disrupted. If the NRL play their cards right it could be a boon.

I also think we're starting to move away from the 'exclusive coverage' era too, where there's no reason multiple networks or platforms couldn't broadcast the same match.

Starkers

Bench
I think the move away from linear (FTA) television will continue to happen as the end of this deal approaches and the traditional viewing model will be significantly disrupted. If the NRL play their cards right it could be a boon.

I also think we're starting to move away from the 'exclusive coverage' era too, where there's no reason multiple networks or platforms couldn't broadcast the same match.

yeah agree there too. i guess what might help is if the end of FTA and the rise of streaming coincides in the next negotiations and FTA has a final big money crack to retain viewership.

it could definitely happen at an exclusive level, and FTA then sell back to fox/straming as Ch7 seem to have done with the cricket, putting things like ODIs behind a pay wall etc.

Timmah

Staff member
yeah agree there too. i guess what might help is if the end of FTA and the rise of streaming coincides in the next negotiations and FTA has a final big money crack to retain viewership.

it could definitely happen at an exclusive level, and FTA then sell back to fox/straming as Ch7 seem to have done with the cricket, putting things like ODIs behind a pay wall etc.
The net result among those still stuck on FTA will be lots of complaining though haha

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I think the fta channel should get 4 games a week and allow streaming of those games plus gf/origins/tests. Fox get all games simulcast plus gf/origins/tests. Nrl.com also broadcast all games.

The fta component is changed up a bit. Each teams geographic location is shown live into that area on fta when playing away.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The last TV deal (13-17) ended up being worth all in,cash $1,026,623. $925million of that was the original Australia only media deal.

franklin2323

Immortal
Ch9 actually had 4 games but Fox sooked and they got the Sat taken away. Why would the next deal be any different

Last Week

Bench
I'm happy for Fox to keep Saturday to themselves.

Just f**k off Thursday and Friday 6pm.

Another Saturday arvo and a Sunday at 6pm would be fine .

Stallion

First Grade
I'm happy for Fox to keep Saturday to themselves.

Just f**k off Thursday and Friday 6pm.

Another Saturday arvo and a Sunday at 6pm would be fine .

Agree with most of your game times. Another Saturday or Sunday game is much more appealing than Thursday. I can cop Friday 6pm if it means a round is done and dusted from Friday to Sunday. A FTA simulcast game with FOX would be a good thing for the code as well on all Saturdays. Atm the other codes(AFL&union) are getting a free run of FTA on Saturdays. Not good for rugby league!

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Ch9 actually had 4 games but Fox sooked and they got the Sat taken away. Why would the next deal be any different

Didn’t fox buy that from 9 after they lost the EPL rights and realised they were a little light on content?

Starkers

Bench
got it, not much meat on the bone. looks like have to wait til the end of feb for details.

TV deal pushes NRL back into the black

The NRL was back in the black in 2018, delivering on chief executive Todd Greenberg’s promise to turn a profit.

The game’s full finances will be revealed at its annual general meeting later this month but on Wednesday ARLC chairman Peter Beattie was happy to spruik the encouraging results.

“The key message for fans is that the game is in good financial shape,” Beattie said after the independent commission met at Rugby League Central. “We are back in the black.

“And surpluses are invested back into the sport, whether it’s through junior rugby league or community programs.”

The NRL in 2017 recorded a $3.7 million loss and a $2.6 million loss the year before that.

The game was always expected to return to the black in 2018, the first year of a five-season $1.8 billion television deal with Fox Sports and the Nine Network. Its real challenge will be to deliver profits consistently between now and 2022.

Rugby League Central last year promised to deliver a $10.5 million surplus over the course of the five-year broadcast agreement.

AAP

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Broadcast Television as we know it is dying, strangled out by online streaming services like Netflix. Sport is one of their few rock solid bastions of viewership left, which gives the NRL as much leverage over negotiations as they can possibly hope for.

If Nine really are that desperate to cling on to the rights, while also continuing to skimp on every other facet of their broadcasting e.g High Definition and mostly garbage commentators, frankly they can shit or get off the pot. I'd be asking for 2.0 - 2.1 billion dollars for 5 years, and give the 4 FTA games that Fox sooked it up about back to Nine to sweeten the deal.

Stallion

First Grade
Broadcast Television as we know it is dying, strangled out by online streaming services like Netflix. Sport is one of their few rock solid bastions of viewership left, which gives the NRL as much leverage over negotiations as they can possibly hope for.

If Nine really are that desperate to cling on to the rights, while also continuing to skimp on every other facet of their broadcasting e.g High Definition and mostly garbage commentators, frankly they can shit or get off the pot. I'd be asking for 2.0 - 2.1 billion dollars for 5 years, and give the 4 FTA games that Fox sooked it up about back to Nine to sweeten the deal.

Yes. At least simulcast the Saturday night game. So far the free kick to other codes on FTA tv on a Saturday is embarassing!

Timmah

Staff member
Yes. At least simulcast the Saturday night game. So far the free kick to other codes on FTA tv on a Saturday is embarassing!
Already happens Rounds 21-25/26 each season - as I understand it's 'on trial' with the view of making it all season in the next deal.

Starkers

Bench
Already happens Rounds 21-25/26 each season - as I understand it's 'on trial' with the view of making it all season in the next deal.

it's absurb though, right? i can't fathom why ch9 wouldn't bookend their 5pm and 6pm saturday news with an NRL game either side. instead saturday viewing on ch9 is a f**king wasteland of repeat programming.

Latest posts