2018-2022 Media Deal $ Value

Discussion in 'NRL Media Watch' started by Perth Red, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Diesel

Diesel Coach

The thing about one FTA channel having NRL & another have SoO, is we don’t have to hear all about origin from March to August during NRL games.

2. Timmah

Timmah LeagueUnlimited News Editor Staff Member

I actually thought the NRL went to the table at the last deal with talk of separating out Origin and Internationals but it never came to fruition, just got chucked in with the premiership it seems.

I'd call it disappointing but I think it's par for the course really.

titoelcolombiano likes this.
  3. Starkers

Starkers Juniors

yeah i think they succumbed to ch9 in the end on that one. they are the entity which keeps complaining about separating things like premiership games and origin.

in an ideal world, i think next time around we need 5 games live on FTA. thur, fri, sat arvo, sat night, sun with an additional team like perth or 2nd qld (or both) and foxtel/kayo or another streaming can have the rights to everything including origin/rep, finals and GF.

that would maximise it nicely in my view.

Stallion likes this.
  4. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

Next deal would be good to see 3 FTA games Fri night, Sat night Sunday 2pm afternoon
    3 Fox games Saturday x2 Sunday 4pm

The remaining 3 games exclusive on NRL digital on Sat and Sun at same time as other games that would also simucast the other 6 games. We need to move away from crappy KO times to maximise crowds and revenue for clubs from crowd attendnace. You could do things like split screen live viewing etc for games played at same time
    If they are really spending $100million of the games money on "digital" then we need to be in a position by 2023 to be getting maximum return and setting the game up for the future of TV viewing.

5. Timmah

I think the move away from linear (FTA) television will continue to happen as the end of this deal approaches and the traditional viewing model will be significantly disrupted. If the NRL play their cards right it could be a boon.

I also think we're starting to move away from the 'exclusive coverage' era too, where there's no reason multiple networks or platforms couldn't broadcast the same match.

6. Starkers

Starkers Juniors

yeah agree there too. i guess what might help is if the end of FTA and the rise of streaming coincides in the next negotiations and FTA has a final big money crack to retain viewership.

it could definitely happen at an exclusive level, and FTA then sell back to fox/straming as Ch7 seem to have done with the cricket, putting things like ODIs behind a pay wall etc.

titoelcolombiano and Timmah like this.
  7. Timmah

The net result among those still stuck on FTA will be lots of complaining though haha

Starkers likes this.
  8. Stormwarrior82

Stormwarrior82 Juniors

I think the fta channel should get 4 games a week and allow streaming of those games plus gf/origins/tests. Fox get all games simulcast plus gf/origins/tests. Nrl.com also broadcast all games.

The fta component is changed up a bit. Each teams geographic location is shown live into that area on fta when playing away.

Starkers likes this.
  9. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

The last TV deal (13-17) ended up being worth all in,cash $1,026,623. $925million of that was the original Australia only media deal.

10. franklin2323

franklin2323 Coach

Ch9 actually had 4 games but Fox sooked and they got the Sat taken away. Why would the next deal be any different

11. TheFrog

TheFrog Coach

Very doubtful FTA would be interested in starting at 6pm.

12. Last Week

Last Week Bench

I'm happy for Fox to keep Saturday to themselves.

Just f**k off Thursday and Friday 6pm.

Another Saturday arvo and a Sunday at 6pm would be fine .

13. Stallion

Stallion First Grade

Agree with most of your game times. Another Saturday or Sunday game is much more appealing than Thursday. I can cop Friday 6pm if it means a round is done and dusted from Friday to Sunday. A FTA simulcast game with FOX would be a good thing for the code as well on all Saturdays. Atm the other codes(AFL&union) are getting a free run of FTA on Saturdays. Not good for rugby league!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019 at 6:56 PM
  14. Pommy

Pommy Coach

Didn’t fox buy that from 9 after they lost the EPL rights and realised they were a little light on content?