What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

If you look at the picture of Craven Park what is now the North stand (with red towers) used to be all grass hill when the ground was built in late 80's. After Hillsborough the hill became off limits when the laws changed and eventually the new stand was built a few years ago. Here's it when it was first built in late 80's with grass hills and the speedway and dog track. Like watching a game at an AFL oval!

14203233.jpg
You wish

Clifferd

Coach
Tigers v Tedesco at Campbelltown would’ve been nice. Not sure if we’ll get anymore than 18k anyway, Roosters aren’t normally a big draw for us but the Tedesco factor might come into play a bit

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2018/02/15/home-game-stampede-best-in-decade/

Home Game Stampede Best In Decade

The stampede to be part of the Bronxnation in 2018 has hit record levels, with ticket sales for the opening home game at Suncorp Stadium the highest this decade.

On yesterday’s opening day of general ticket sales for the March 16 blockbuster Queensland derby against the Cowboys, Broncos fans snapped up more than double the number of tickets compared to last year.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Was reported in the Melbourne media that over 14k sold for tomorrow night, not bad but could be a struggle to get to 20k

Saint Doc

Coach
Storm vs Leeds:
- storm home average at AAMI was around 17k (deleting the Suncorp game) last year
- reports of 14k tickets sold already, although this is often an over exaggeration
- little promotion, Melbourne obsessing over AFLW/AFLX
- prediction: 14,000.

International double header:
- recent charity shield games have averaged 13,000 giving an indication of dragons/souths fans interest in preseason games at ANZ.
- that said, new souths coach and new dragons signings may increase interest slightly
- 3-4000 traveling fans
- slight bump in neutral interest
- times by 0.7 to factor in general Sydney disappointment.
- prediction: 14,000

Stallion

First Grade
I believe that if most ticket prices were $20 for adults rugby league woukd see a massive increase in crowds and a positive flow on effect in interest and merchandise sales. Unfortunately the prices for the World club challenge are too high and I assume other games are too high. $20 is the figure that is acceptable. If these clubs go with that pricing the benefits will follow. Otherwise it won't happen!

DC80

Juniors
So terraces are OK?
Gotcha
Only in rugby league. The no terraces rule only applies to football stadiums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_stadiums_in_England

Few rugby league games are sold out - think there was half a dozen in Super League last season - so overcrowding is not an issue. Circa 8500 is the average attendance so terracing is not seen as a safety hazard. Teams such as Castleford, Wakefield, Hull KR would have to have their stadiums upgraded for football. I follow St Helens but I much prefer Castleford's ground to ours. Atmosphere generated at the jungle is much better.

Wasn’t it the excellent fence what caused the problem at one of those pommies shitholes?
Wasn't the fence, it was incompetent policing that directed thousands of fans into an already overcrowded area.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I believe that if most ticket prices were $20 for adults rugby league woukd see a massive increase in crowds and a positive flow on effect in interest and merchandise sales. Unfortunately the prices for the World club challenge are too high and I assume other games are too high. $20 is the figure that is acceptable. If these clubs go with that pricing the benefits will follow. Otherwise it won't happen!

I’m actually a little suprised that the World Cup game hasnt got a better predicted crowd than 15k. Agree that $20 would easily get more fans thru the gate.

I’m not exactly all over the stadium deals that clubs have and I’m sure they vary wildly too but are the incentives for lower prices/more fans actually there? If not why not? If stadium deals are structured in a certain way surely it can help promote cheap tickets and cheap food and more fans. What can be done to fix this issue?

Frederick

Staff member
Knights trial game against Parramatta at Maitland next Saturday has sold out. Ground capacity is about 7000.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Tigers v Tedesco at Campbelltown would’ve been nice. Not sure if we’ll get anymore than 18k anyway, Roosters aren’t normally a big draw for us but the Tedesco factor might come into play a bit

It would have been even better at Leichhardt, I reckon it would have probably sold out. Im driving back from up the north coast that day, would have made sure I was back in time if the game was at Leichhardt or even Campbelltown but seeing it’s at ANZ I am not rushing back ,I will probably extend my stay up the coast for a couple more days instead now and find a nice air conditioned pub or club to watch the game at on the Saturday .

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’m actually a little suprised that the World Cup game hasnt got a better predicted crowd than 15k. Agree that $20 would easily get more fans thru the gate.

I’m not exactly all over the stadium deals that clubs have and I’m sure they vary wildly too but are the incentives for lower prices/more fans actually there? If not why not? If stadium deals are structured in a certain way surely it can help promote cheap tickets and cheap food and more fans. What can be done to fix this issue?

Bit steep at $30-60 but avg price for a sports event in Australia. Given both clubs expect to be well compensated for playing the fixture I suppose it is to be expected. If we say the avg price is $40 a ticket then 15,000@$40 is still $100k better than 25,000@$20. If they crack 20,000 then the revenue is significantly greater than if they sold out at $20.

carcharias

Immortal
Bit steep at $30-60 but avg price for a sports event in Australia. Given both clubs expect to be well compensated for playing the fixture I suppose it is to be expected. If we say the avg price is $40 a ticket then 15,000@$40 is still $100k better than 25,000@$20. If they crack 20,000 then the revenue is significantly greater than if they sold out at $20.

Would that be because of the (price v the crowd) v the (crowd v the original price) minus predicted price and predicted crowd figures?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would that be because of the (price v the crowd) v the (crowd v the original price) minus predicted price and predicted crowd figures?

Yep, I think lol.

15000@$40
v
20000@20

Predicted
20000@40
v
30,000@$20

It is always difficult to judge how many more people would turn up to event if tickets where cheaper. The ANZ cheap ticket deals will be a good test for if this a key considerate for a large number of people.

Latest posts