What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 NRL Squad

denis preston

First Grade
Bingo, he is the extra prop we need and a junior at that. He has done his time away and now is a great time to come home. Just the type of player we need and would not be too costly.

So Millward, go get AFB ASP!

This is where the lack of third part really bites hard against us and makes Millward's job very difficult. The board has a lot to answer for as we are at least 160K a year under the average TPP every other club is doing. Rorters,Broncos & Melbourne & Bulldogs would be at least 500k to a million ahead of us ( which shows the folly of this system )

If we could get this bloke and the WTC outside back then we would really be a threat next year , and even the 3 amigios coaches couldn't hold us back !

possm

Coach
I agree with you, except I think Newcastle will go big for him. They are desperate for quality props and have lots of money to spend.

Surely Millward can pull this one off, he is a junior of our Club. He should not cost a lot of coin. Show us what you are made of Millward.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So the questions are,
Why would AFB come back to a club that sacked him?
Where would he play, considering we have Vaughan, Graham, K.Sims and young Lawrie as the 4 props and for unknown reasons Kerr is also in that mix.
And whilst there is some truth in the fact that AFB would be a better prospect than maybe Lawrie or Kerr it would fly straight in their face if a player we sacked was reinstated ahead of them.
My opinion is that IF he leaves Manly he will go to either the Knights or the Eels where he would get a permanent starting spit and more salary.

Frank Facer

First Grade
So the questions are,
Where would he play, considering we have Vaughan, Graham, K.Sims and young Lawrie as the 4 props and for unknown reasons Kerr is also in that mix.
And whilst there is some truth in the fact that AFB would be a better prospect than maybe Lawrie or Kerr it would fly straight in their face if a player we sacked was reinstated ahead of them.
My opinion is that IF he leaves Manly he will go to either the Knights or the Eels where he would get a permanent starting spit and more salary.
If we got AFB, I would be happy for us to play him starting prop, with Graham being relegated to the bench. I obviously rate AFB much higher than either Korbin Sims or Lawrie.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
This is where the lack of third part really bites hard against us and makes Millward's job very difficult. The board has a lot to answer for as we are at least 160K a year under the average TPP every other club is doing. Rorters,Broncos & Melbourne & Bulldogs would be at least 500k to a million ahead of us ( which shows the folly of this system )

If we could get this bloke and the WTC outside back then we would really be a threat next year , and even the 3 amigios coaches couldn't hold us back !
Yes the 3 amigos bandidos

Fire

First Grade
1. Holmes
2. Oates
3. Hayne
4. Lomax
5. Cotric

6. Widdop
7. De Belin

8. Graham
9. Hunt
10. Vaughn
11. Frizell
12. T. Sims
13. Sutton

14. Norman
15. K. Sims
16. Leilua
17. Latimore

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
1. Holmes
2. Oates
3. Hayne
4. Lomax
5. Cotric

6. Widdop
7. De Belin

8. Graham
9. Hunt
10. Vaughn
11. Frizell
12. T. Sims
13. Sutton

14. Norman
15. K. Sims
16. Leilua
17. Latimore
who is coach and what about Tom and Jake Turbo....

possm

Coach
So the questions are,

Prop Rotation
NRL
Vaughan
Graham
AFB
K Sims

ISP
Lawrie
Latimore
Kerr

If we sign AFB, we would finally have a decent prop rotation that could mitigate the fatigue problems of the past few years.

Belta

Juniors
Prop Rotation

Possum said;

“If we sign AFB, we would finally have a decent prop rotation that could mitigate the fatigue problems of the past few years.”

I really rate AFB. He’d be huge (no pun intended) The missing link. He would start with Vaughan. Different bench combinations could be used. We would have depth when injuries and reps come along.

Simms
Leilua/Lawrie
Robson/ Latimore
Graham

Dragonslayer

First Grade
By my reckoning we have 25 currently signed for 2019 (inc Nene) for the NRL squad and 5 for the DP squad.
However, there may he some movement with a couple of the DP players moving to the NRL squad:

Props/Locks (8)
JDB, Graham, Kerr, Latimore, Lawrie, K. Sims, Vaughan, Blacker (DP)

Edge Forwards (5)
Frizell, Host, Leilua, T. Sims, Ford (DP)

Backs (8 +1)
Aitken, Dufty, Lafai, Lomax, McDonald (?), Periera, Masters (DP), Saab (DP) +1 Ravalawa (unconfirmed)

Halves (5)
Field, Hunt, Nichols, Sailor, Widdop

Hookers (2)
McInnes, Robson

Utility (2)
Mann, Lovodua (DP)

So, lets say 25, add Ravalawa and I'm guessing they may promote Ford, Masters and Lovodua from the DP squad (leaving Saab and Blacker and allowing some promotion of ither juniors like SSE and young Wishart), That would equal 29, leaving 1 vacant spot. Upon reflection our forward stocks are very limited especially in the prop/lock area with only Kerr and Lats the back ups atm.

Its a good squad but just seems to lack something imo.

Thought i'd update this.

There us talk that the NRL will relax the rules surrounding Development Players and allowing them to play 1st grade NRL. Interesting if so and makes the DP squad very important for the future.

Props/Locks: (7 +1DP)
JDB, Graham, Kerr, Latimore, K. Sims, Lawrie, Vaughan, Blacker (DP)
At this stage: Graham, Vaughan, K. Sims and Lawrie appear to be the 1st grade 4 props with JDB as the lock.
We are very short in this area: We have no reserves ready to step up, Latimore is the only one but well past it. Blacker is untried and very young and Kerr is a big disappointment. Who is the back-up for JDB? We need another prop, I hope we are looking at AFB.

Edge Forwards (4 + 1DP)
Frizell, Host, Leilua, T. Sims, Ford (DP)
We are ok in this area: Obviously Friz and T.Sims to start, Leilua/Host on the bench and back-up for rep duties. If the rules are relaxed then Ford could come in for the bench role in rep games.​
Backs (7+ 2DP)
Aitken, Dufty, Lafai, Lomax, Periera, Masters (DP), Saab (DP) Ravalawa, Pearson.
Our most contentious area: Lomax has to start at centre at the expense of Aitken. Dufty at fullback, Periera will probably be one wing and Pearson the other. Lafai keeps his spot because there's no-one else. If we are looking for another back then maybe its Lafi's position they are looking at.
Halves (5)​
Field, Hunt, Nicholls, Sailor, Widdop
With probably no Mann as back up a lot of responsibility will fall on Field and Nicholls. Oh dear!
Hookers (2)​
McInnes, Robson
Ok in this area. Robson will be a very good player for us and should be in the 17 each week.
Utility (1DP)​
Lovodua (DP)
Got a lot of time for this player. He can play lock, edge forward and even hooker.

So by my reckoning we have 25 (excluding Mann) signed to the NRL squad and 5 to the DP squad. If they are only looking at a back then there has to be movement from the DP squad. I can see Masters (as a back-up back) and Ford (as a back-up edge forward) and Lovodua (as the general utility) being advanced to the NRL squad. That would still leave us 2 to sign a forward (AFB or TPjr) and a back(Oates)? Very strong squad imo.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Bingo, he is the extra prop we need and a junior at that. He has done his time away and now is a great time to come home. Just the type of player we need and would not be too costly.

So Millward, go get AFB ASP!

Only problem is that SGI sacked him for savagely assaulting (including kicking) his girlfriend- he was being groomed for captaincy in the future-not sure they would want to revisit him

Latest posts