What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Pre-Season

callmack1

Staff member
‘He’s a star of the future’ - Ennis backs bolter as Rabbitohs fullback: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k/news-story/6c5a67e6026d2fc66a31b005ceabf43f

‘His weight is fine’ - Alex Johnston slams Greg Inglis fat-shamers, but wants to steal South Sydney No.1 jersey: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/0cb50c84a054447bcd2cfa3cfd289928

Rabbitohs excitement machine won’t be blunted by Bennett: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/1c47e576c8da6e534e72169b44b35ce9

callmack1

Staff member
South Sydney captain Greg Inglis rubbishes rumours he’s 15kg overweight: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/6c9fbb9a9ed1dac4c22e3c9a901ac1ef

Some really good news out of the club today!! In regards to the article about Cody, Bennett is bang on the money here. Cody is great at playing structure but at the same time, he needs that licence to do whatever and play what he sees. It's a massive reason why our attack was so dangerous in 2018 and a massive reason why Cody is one of the most important elements of our attack. Some of the plays he pulls off are simply incredible and I hope to see a lot more of that this year!

In regards to GI, we've now heard it straight from the man's mouth that he is only 5kg over his playing weight which is great news. I believe that's normal for him at this time of year. The knee injury is a bit of a concern though but I'm still hopeful he can make Round 1.

Corey allan is a gun to be unleashed at #1 keep the faith he was the broncos best junior fullback before souths signed him.research highlights and history on allan you may be surprised he is a genuine modern day fullback unlike johnston whom is a winger not a poor mans replacement fullback when inglis is injured corey will shine.

250excf

Juniors
Corey allan is a gun to be unleashed at #1 keep the faith he was the broncos best junior fullback before souths signed him.research highlights and history on allan you may be surprised he is a genuine modern day fullback unlike johnston whom is a winger not a poor mans replacement fullback when inglis is injured corey will shine.
If you say so shadow :joy::joy:

southsport

First Grade
Let's hope so!

callmack1

Staff member
From Sporting News,

How Wayne Bennett's luckless sales pitch to Corey Allan worked in his favour

Written By Michael Di Lonardo

During his coaching swap saga with Anthony Seibold, Wayne Bennett was accused of manipulating South Sydney's recruitment plans while contracted to Brisbane - to which he later admitted.

But inadvertently, the master coach was already shaping up his roster in May last year.

Bennett did everything he could to keep local talent Corey Allan in Brisbane's future plans, but unlike the Rabbitohs, he was unable to promise him a regular first grade opportunity with the likes of Darius Boyd, Corey Oates and Jamayne Isaako making up the back three.

Allan was convinced by South Sydney's sales pitch within hours of touching down in Redfern, in awe of the club's rich history and culture.

Rival offers didn't even come close.

''When he (Bennett) was at Brisbane he had a chat to me and said he'd like to keep me but I saw an opportunity here (at South Sydney),' Allan told Sporting News.

''When I came down just straight away the culture hit me. I got to meet a couple of boys on the first day and they were welcoming. I loved it.

''Bunnies were the main ones I was considering. I had a couple of offers elsewhere but me and my manager Sam Ayoub spoke about the Bunnies and it was the one we both liked.''

But Bennett's failed ploy eventually worked to his advantage, partnering up with Allan six months later after Brisbane sacked him to pave the way for Seibold's takeover.

''When Wayne came down the transition was a lot easier because I knew his shape and style already,'' Allan said.

''He did help me a lot up there when I was progressing through the grades.''

Scrolling through Allan's long list of representative honours, it's no wonder Bennett was so desperate to keep him.

The 20-year-old is a star product of the Queensland junior representative system, earning international selection with the Junior Kangaroos last year.

His name travelled through rugby league circles when he became the first player to be selected for the Prime Minister's XIII squad without making an NRL appearance - an achievement not even he thought he was capable of.

''I honestly didn't believe it. It's crazy,'' he described of the time when Broncos official Scott Czislowski called to deliver the message.

''I was up in 1770 which is just past Bundaberg. I was camping up there with my mates and we had no phone reception. Well, I didn't anyway, but my mate hot-spotted me and lucky enough it was at the right time and I just got the call.

''They had apparently been trying to call me for a few days.''

Allan felt like a fish out of water when he was greeted by a contingent of NRL superstars, but just like after his welcoming to South Sydney, the prodigious talent quickly found his place.

''When I got out in camp I was thinking 'sh*t'. There were all these great players around me and I'm out here with no experience,'' he said.

''I was sh*tting myself when I ran on. The crowd was crazy. But it was fine, I had guys like Frizell and DCE who welcomed me in and told me I was doing well. It really helped me and made me believe that maybe I can make it.''

Allan shined in his first appearance in cardinal and myrtle, scoring a try at fullback in the Rabbitohs' first trial against the Riverina All Stars last week.

Bennett has named Allan on the wing for John Sutton's testimonial game at Redfern Oval on Saturday in a near full strength squad, bar skipper Greg Inglis who believes he will be fit for round one.

One more solid performance and Allan is tracking to start on the wing for the Bunnies this season.

''I'm happy to play wherever,'' Allan said.

''I can always improve my game wherever I am. A lot of great fullbacks have started their careers on the wing.''

ThingFish

Juniors
Hey does anyone know if the John Sutton games is being televised anywhere?
NRL.com are streaming all trials that have an nrl team vs an nrl team. if you haven’t got it get the nrl app. It’s free. The only Souths trial on telly is the Charity Sheild.

PS some smart TVs let you watch the NRL app on them. If you’ve got one you’ll be able to watch the Sutto game on big screen.

250excf

Juniors
NRL.com are streaming all trials that have an nrl team vs an nrl team. if you haven’t got it get the nrl app. It’s free. The only Souths trial on telly is the Charity Sheild.

PS some smart TVs let you watch the NRL app on them. If you’ve got one you’ll be able to watch the Sutto game on big screen.
It’s only free if you are a Telstra customer bro

Latest posts