What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 team line up

mickeylane

Bench
JDB is gone - kiss him goodbye - too much pressure on the men abusing women in our game to get off Scott free - based on this assumption I believe the team will look like this.

1. Widdop
2. Pearson
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Perera

6. Norman
7. Hunt

8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. T.Sims
13. Lawrie

14. Dufty
15. K. Sims
16. Latimore
17. Leilua

Overseas dragon

Juniors
JDB is gone - kiss him goodbye - too much pressure on the men abusing women in our game to get off Scott free - based on this assumption I believe the team will look like this.

1. Widdop
2. Pearson
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Perera

6. Norman
7. Hunt

8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. T.Sims
13. Lawrie

14. Dufty
15. K. Sims
16. Latimore
17. Leilua
I'm hoping super coach has a similar mindset ..........

aquiin

Juniors
I’d love to see Leilua play 13. Long way off fitness wise.

I think most likely Host or Leilua would be vying for the spot on the right and Frizell would play in the middle.

If the second rowers stayed in the same spots, then I think KSims would be the choice ahead of Lawrie to start at 13.

possm

Coach

1. Widdop
2. Pearson
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Perera

6. Norman
7. Hunt

8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. T.Sims
13. Lawrie

14. Dufty
15. K. Sims
16. Latimore
17. Leilua

Very close to my preferred 17 only first if De Belin is not with us then surely his salary is there to purchase a lock or prop. So it will be up to Millward and Mary to make that decision. For now I have Lawrie at lock as well.

The off-season training and trials will inform the coaching staff regarding the suitability of an internal replacement player or if we need to go to the market and recruit. So a few questions to answer but for now, with the players we have, my team would be:

1. Widdop
2. Pearson
3. Lomax our best option at right centre
4. Lafai
5. Pereira
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. T Sims
12. Frizell
13. Lawrie or a new recruit

14. Robson is ready and a must, otherwise we will lose him
15. K Sims
16. Lawrie or Kerr, Timm Latimore
17. Leilua

If Dufty scrubs up well in the off-season, maybe we will see Widdop leave early and Dufty installed as our long term fullback.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Very close to my preferred 17 only first if De Belin is not with us then surely his salary is there to purchase a lock or prop. So it will be up to Millward and Mary to make that decision. For now I have Lawrie at lock as well.

The off-season training and trials will inform the coaching staff regarding the suitability of an internal replacement player or if we need to go to the market and recruit. So a few questions to answer but for now, with the players we have, my team would be:

1. Widdop
2. Pearson
3. Lomax our best option at right centre
4. Lafai
5. Pereira
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. T Sims
12. Frizell
13. Lawrie or a new recruit

14. Robson is ready and a must, otherwise we will lose him
15. K Sims
16. Lawrie or Kerr, Timm Latimore
17. Leilua

If Dufty scrubs up well in the off-season, maybe we will see Widdop leave early and Dufty installed as our long term fullback.

JDB's salary will remain until he is sacked by the club. That wont happen until after his court case, which will probably be later in 2019. The Feb court date is an appearance only, its not a trial.
That being said:
Lawrie did play a few games at lock in ISP this year. He was very quickly put back into prop rotation. Hes not a lock.

Agree with Lomax and the rest of the backline, though i think Norman will be the fullback. But who knows. Norman may even start from the bench until hes up to speed with our plays. Again who knows.

No-one really knows what plans our supercoach has, in fact i dont think he realky knows either.

SGMax

Juniors
If JDB is out Frizell should make the small adjustment to lock.
Leilua to 2nd row with help from Host off the bench.
If Field is ready he would be a great 14 but otherwise take a chance on Robson and give McInness a break and more cover for our backrowers.
1. Widdop
2. Pearson
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Perera

6. Norman
7. Hunt

8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Leilua
12. T.Sims
13. Frizell

14. Robson or Field
15. K. Sims
16. Host
17. Lawrie

Drag Queen

Bench
If Field is ready he would be a great 14 but otherwise take a chance on Robson and give McInness a break and more cover for our backrowers.
1. Widdop
2. Pearson
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Perera

6. Norman
7. Hunt

8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Leilua
12. T.Sims
13. Frizell

14. Robson or Field
15. K. Sims
16. Host
17. Lawrie
I think you may have nailed it SGMax. That is one fine looking team Xx

aquiin

Juniors
Aitken would be on the bench if he is not starting, but I’m not sure why the speculation continues. He’ll start the year at centre and there’s a good chance Lomax will start on the wing with opportunities to play centre. There’s a good chance to use the strengths of both players.

Host is more suited to right second row than Leilua.

possm

Coach
Aitken would be on the bench if he is not starting, but I’m not sure why the speculation continues. He’ll start the year at centre and there’s a good chance Lomax will start on the wing with opportunities to play centre. There’s a good chance to use the strengths of both players.

Host is more suited to right second row than Leilua.

Why! You left out the Why.

Lomax outside Aitken would receive no decent ball from Aitken and have a hell of a time trying to plug the holes Aitken leaves when he runs up and in and misses his target.

I'm sure it will be Lomax at right centre and Robson at 14 off the bench because Lomax proved to be an exceptional centre in the last few games of the season when he finally got his chance to shine and Robson is the hottest hooker coming through ritght now.

possm

Coach

Well done you got me. I was going to say why however, the misses had other ideas and wanted me to do some jobs before it got dark.

Anyway, for a long time Host was one of my favourite up and coming forwards however, I suppose mainly because of injuries, he just has not stepped up to first grade level. I see him as a secondrow forward and put T Sims, Frizell and Leilua ahead of him. He may get a call up to the bench if an injury occurs or during SOO.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I think Host was ready last year. An injury early in the year derailed his season, then we were on a winning streak and there was no room for Host. When he finally did get a chance to start against Melbourne, he got another injury in the first few minutes of the game and that put him out for the rest of the season. I am not convinced of Host, but I am not putting the pen through his name either at this stage. The thing is he has the NSW second rowers ahead of him and Lucky is also ahead of him, so he is going to have a very difficult time getting a regular starting spot at our club. He may have to leave to get a starting spot. He may well develop into a good first grade second rower.

SBD82

Coach
1. Widdop
2. Pearson
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Perera

6. Norman
7. Hunt

8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Leilua
12. T.Sims
13. Frizell

14. Robson or Field
15. K. Sims
16. Host
17. Lawrie
I like your team.

My only concern with it would be who would play the second man to the halves to create width. I don't think that frizell really has that in his game. Graham previously played that role for the dogs, and may still be capable, but that would only cover the position for 40 odd minutes. Possibly rotating Robson/McInnes through hooker and lock?

The other option is to play traditional half to five eight with fullback playing the sweep, but if you use this every time you lose a potential runner in the backline on the variation.

SGMax

Juniors
I like your team.

My only concern with it would be who would play the second man to the halves to create width. I don't think that frizell really has that in his game. Graham previously played that role for the dogs, and may still be capable, but that would only cover the position for 40 odd minutes. Possibly rotating Robson/McInnes through hooker and lock?

The other option is to play traditional half to five eight with fullback playing the sweep, but if you use this every time you lose a potential runner in the backline on the variation.

Yes, a valid point but not many other options.
That part of the play could be shared among a few there with a passing game like Graham, Leilua, Robson when he is on for the backrowers.
Can't see Lawrie, T.Simms, or any of the other forwards fit in at lock any better.
Aitken shifting to lock would have the same deficiency, no passing game.
I am hoping it is a clear cut situation....Guilty and he is cut from the club and replaced by recruitment. or Innocent and he takes his place in the team without a lengthy suspension.

aquiin

Juniors
Why! You left out the Why.

Lomax outside Aitken would receive no decent ball from Aitken and have a hell of a time trying to plug the holes Aitken leaves when he runs up and in and misses his target.

I'm sure it will be Lomax at right centre and Robson at 14 off the bench because Lomax proved to be an exceptional centre in the last few games of the season when he finally got his chance to shine and Robson is the hottest hooker coming through ritght now.

This is a repetition of a previous point, and even in a succinct manner, it made me reply because the strongest team includes both Aitken and Lomax. Those reading can remember what else has been written previous, but I can reiterate if it’s necessary. I guess I also need to repeat that the aim should be to have player at their best at the end of the year.

Lomax is not a ready made player. For every great play he makes, he’s just as likely to offload at a bad time. He has errors in his game and he is still learning. I remember reading the criticism of his game against Newcastle, which was too harsh, and could well happen again in his first full year. Believing any 19 year can play a full season in the centres seems far fetched. I can’t think of a player that didn’t have issues. Most started off on the wing. Aitken still hasn’t played out a full season.

Lomax has had experience playing on the wing at various levels and this is the well worn path of many centres. As I mentioned, I like the option of playing him in the centres during the game and increasing this as the season evolves. In attacking position and in space clearly you want Lomax to receive the ball early, but he’s not running lines in traffic or scattering defences. He’s not getting his body in the right position when doing grunt work.

aquiin

Juniors
Apologies for the two posts. There's a paragraph I can't seem to upload due to an internal server error. This is part of the rest.

I think an interesting way to think about it is this: Lomax has the skills that we would like to see in all centres, but the role for centres has changed and much of what is needed from the position is what Lomax is still learning. Aitken was lauded for his play early and I don’t see why that shouldn’t be an aim to be repeated. Lomax should still get his shot to work into that spot over the season.

There’s little doubt Lomax is the better prospect, that’s not really to the point, and if we were talking about rep level wingers, we would need to make a decision. That’s not what we are looking at.

The other point I made previously is that I would like to see how Aitken would do as a left centre. There have been a few people saying he’d be better off there and I think it should happen in the trial.

Oh and Blayke Brailey and Sean Mullany have outplayed Robson on occasion. Dangerous to just regurgitate what is hot at the moment.

GC Dragon

Juniors
If that's our roster done and dusted and with JDB likely not to play ...Thought I would have a crack .

1..Widdop
2..Pearson
3..Lomax
4..Lafai
5..Ravalawa
6..Norman
7...Hunt
8..Graham
9...McInnes
10..Vaughan
11..Leilua
12..Sims
13..frizell

14..Sims
15...Lawrie
16..Aitken
17..Robson

My reason for the wingers is speed Pereira is far to slow . I have picked big Luc because he is a natural footballer and ballplayer . All he needs is first grade fitness and that will happen the more he plays first grade . That left edge of Norman , Luc , Lafai with Widdop chiming in and feeding a genuine speedster in Pearson could be lethal . Our right side of Hunt , Sims , Lomax with Widdop chiming in could be just as effective and Ravalawa is a flyer also .
Norman is by far our best game manager ( the most yappy ) where Hunt and Widdop are very quiet . Norman tends ( at his best ) to play heads up football and makes good decisions most of the time . Hunt struggles with this and this would let him play his natural running game .
The other thing Norman offers is a class kicking game . Widdop at the back can choose when to inject himself both sides and not have to worry about kicking or directing the teams plays . Also less defence for his shoulder .
Robson is a must I believe it will give McInnes a break and add a lot more attacking spark around the play the ball .
Aitken for me is well suited as a impact bench player . He would handle Lock easy . And be a weapon in the middle with his power running , also his front on defence is good . He would also add cover for the outside backs . He would be more useful if used right than having Mann just sit as a reserve like we have done .
It gives us two front rowers a lock who can cover the centres , and a genuine hooker on the bench . Frizell could cover the edge if needed . we would have no reason not to use all four interchange players every game .
Just my opinion I am sure many will differ .

Latest posts