What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Test - NZ 34-14 Tonga @ Mt Smart

Oceania Cup - Rep Weekend: NZ v Tonga

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Grapple

Bench
Can't remember if we've ever had SJ and Benji start together?
Pretty good to see Smith start at 9, really decent player and doesn't really get enough time at Melbourne, but understandable given Cam's experience.

MKCS

Juniors
Is Fifita playing? I read that he wasn't but see he's listed in the squad on page 1.

I think NZ will win but that Tongan pack with Fifita involved is something special.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Is Fifita playing? I read that he wasn't but see he's listed in the squad on page 1.

I think NZ will win but that Tongan pack with Fifita involved is something special.
Fifita was named, but was ruled out around 7-8pm last night after failing in his judiciary hearing.

The expected change would be Fonua-Blake to start at prop with Tevita Tatola added to the bench, but not confirmed at this point.

grouch

First Grade
That Tonga side has to be close to the best they've ever had on paper. I really rate them in this.
Without Fifita, and, to a lesser extent, Ata Hingano (their only halfback) I can't quite agree. Very excited to watch this but I reckon the Tongans are a tad weaker than they were in the World Cup.

Keen to see Benji in black again too

Last edited:

Burns

First Grade
Tonga started slow in each of their matches against the ‘Big 3’.

They were being well beaten against New a Zealand before they made their strong second half showing.

They were flogged against England before he the most ridiculous comeback ever.

They were kinda competitive against Australia, but ended up being down 30-10 by halftime.

First 20min will be important on Saturday

Meth

Staff member
Ok, makes sense. To me, he's been one of the breakout performers of the season.

grouch

First Grade
This whole article is great, but the quotes from Pangai... *chef finger kiss*

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...e-intensity-of-origin--and-then-some#comments

Tongan pack say Kiwis test will have all the intensity of Origin - and then some

The Mate Ma'a Tonga forwards pulled no punches after training on Thursday, declaring they were ready to meet the Kiwis head-on come Saturday.

For many fans, State of Origin represents the rugby league pinnacle - the passion, the big hits, the baying crowd. They are the games everyone wants to watch.

But change is afoot - at least according to Tongan enforcers Tevita Pangai Junior and Sio Siua Taukeiaho - who say New Zealand v Mate Ma'a Tonga has become more intense than the annual Aussie inter-state series.

Taukeiaho, one of eight former Kiwis lining up for the small island nation, has a simple philosophy on how to handle the Kiwis: run it straight.

It's term heard more on local and school fields than in professional ranks, but Taukeiaho explained that's exactly the mentality his side need.

"It's pretty much just run it straight in those opening exchanges, and we are ready for that," he said.

"I know their pack will come rushing up off the line but I have full faith in this side that we can match them and match their intensity.

"Nothing changes for us, we have a strong pack too and that's where we will look to take them on."

Pangai Junior went a step further, declaring he felt the Kiwis v Tonga rivalry was the most intense match-up in rugby league, "period".

The opening 20 minutes in particular would be the most physical game he could ever be a part of, he said.

The Broncos young-gun made the call to play for Tonga in April, turning his back on a potential State of Origin spot - and about $90,000 in the process.

But as the 23-year-old revealed he isn't losing sleep over his decision.

"I haven't played Origin but Andrew (Fifita) says it means more to him to play for Tonga, and that means a lot to me," he said.

"I looked a bit silly (in April), I wish I had just stuck with my original decision but I had a few people in my ear."

One of those was Blues coach Brad Fittler, who told Pangai he needed to test himself in the game's toughest arena - so that's exactly what he did.

"The best arena is international footy. My heart was always with Tonga," he said.

"I was at Origin game one and it wasn't all that loud to be honest, I reckon 30,000 Tongans will be a lot louder than that.

"This first 20 will be full on - I'm glad big Nelson Asofa-Solomona is coming off the bench to be honest - but they will still be very fiery."

Kick-off is at 5.30pm on Saturday.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Will tpj be a world beater tomorrow then back to multiple penalties and mistakes at the play the ball and from stupid offloads next week?