What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 captain choices.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Heading into next season I don’t reckon we have many experienced players especially if Sam leaves. I have a feeling Bennett will choose Walker to captain the boys but I think we’ve got a few other quality choices.

Cook: This is a biased choice. It’s pretty well known that I’ve been a fan of cook since day one but he seems to be one player that always steps up when given more responsibility. I know a lot of people me included thought he faded near the end of the year but I think he’s still getting used to playing 25 rounds plus origin plus finals. I expect an even bigger year for him next year and I think he will step up with the captaincy.

Adam Reynolds: Souths Junior and is the joker of the team. The players respect him and love him but maybe because of his joker personality he wouldn’t be suited to the role of captaincy.

Tom Burgess: this is my left wing option. Tom in my opinion has copped a lot from Souths fans mainly because he’s the twin of George. His error rate is no where near as bad as George’s and is always putting his hand up for a hit up. Good option for a ‘actions show louder than words’ captain but he’s probably not on the field for long enough to be captain.

Cameron Murray: This man is our future. Everybody knows he will be the perfect captain option in a few years but is now too early to burden him with this kind of responsibility? He is already playing huge minutes for his age and is our workhorse.

I reckon these 4 are great options for captains but I’ve also got Ethan Lowe and Dane Gagai down as options purely because they’re experienced campaigners.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I think it'll go to Cody if Sam retires. Obviously, Murray would be great but I think he's too young just yet.

Yeah, Cody is a good option. Honestly the only thing that concerns me with Cody is his confidence. Other than that has pretty good qualities for a captain!

Peter Quinn

Juniors
Who do we think will get the Captaincy in 2020 if Sam Burgess isn't there? I'd like to see Adam Reynolds get it. IMG_20190905_084835.jpg

Travitoh

First Grade
Cameron Murray for me and imo should've been captain when Sam was out.
Don't be fooled by his age, he's a mature lad who has plenty of experience being a leader througout his junior career.

Peter Quinn

Juniors
Don't be fooled by his age, he's a mature lad who has plenty of experience being a leader througout his junior career.
Great player. Bennett only gives him 50 mins though. He's still young and no doubt will eventually be the captain.

Rabbits20

Immortal
For mine I think the captaincy will go to Cody Walker and then when Cody retires Murray will be ready to take over.

callmack1

Staff member
Bro as I said I think it’ll go to Cody but may I add if I was picking like Pete I’d pick Reyno.

Who would you pick bro if you were able too?
I was thinking about this the other day and I actually reckon it'd be so awesome if it went to Reyno. He's a Souths junior and has always dreamed of captaining our club.

Last edited:

Peter Quinn

Juniors
I was thinking about this the other day and I actually reckon it'd be so awesome if it went to Reyno. He's a Souths junior and has always dreamed of captaining our club.
Apparently we will find out if and how much the cap relief for Sam will be this week. I'll have a guess and say three million.

Pommy

Coach

He’s a future Kangaroos captain in my opinion. If you’re good enough you’re old enough.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I disagree he misses too many games and I would prefer if he didn’t have the added responsibility. He needs to concentrate on his role for me.

I feel like Reynolds missing games is a myth. He played 25/28 games last year and the ones he missed were because of a fractured back.

Reynolds has always seemed like the kind of person that steps up when he’s needed. I thought with how diabolical our forward pack was in the finals Reynolds did everything he could to keep us in the games especially against Canberra. I think he’s joker personality is the type of personality that brings the team together but I also think he has a side to him that’s serious and can call the shots.