What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 in International Rugby League

Coastbloke

Bench
Actually, along with France I wouldn't seeing a bit more effort into South Africa in 2020. I know it's been attempted over and over again but the game shouldn't give up. Would be good to see them in 2025 RLWC..

siv

First Grade
Agree

I always look to soccer in how they manage their windows

They have 7 sanctions international weekends

IRL currently have
- 5-6 weekends post season
- 1 weekend in season

We should get rid of the NRL bye and create a 2nd rep weekend in season

adamkungl

Immortal
Actually, along with France I wouldn't seeing a bit more effort into South Africa in 2020. I know it's been attempted over and over again but the game shouldn't give up. Would be good to see them in 2025 RLWC..

What could RL do to break into SA?

How about an annual NRL or NRLxSL pre-season or premiership game there.
I think government discrimination against the game can be broken down, quite simply, with money.
Have Brisbane v Auckland at one of the top Rugby stadiums on a 3 year deal, promote the shit out of it, promote SA Tourism to Aussies and Kiwis.

After the first year, if response was encouraging, give them the chance to host a serious international tournament. A requirement being that the national team receives the funding required to compete at a professional level.
South Africa, Lebanon, Greece, Scotland?

There's more arguably as much benefit here as the US, if not more. US has more potential money obviously, but SA has the existing Rugby culture and could be fast tracked to a top 10 team almost instantly if the will was there.

siv

First Grade
My thoughts on the USA and SA and a lesser extent Russia situation

Focus our energy on Canada/Jamaica South/Central America and rest of Africa and rest of Asia

Once RL achieves critical mass worldwide they will take notice and come to party as they dont want to be left behind

India and China are more important markets

latingringo101

Juniors
What could RL do to break into SA?

How about an annual NRL or NRLxSL pre-season or premiership game there.
I think government discrimination against the game can be broken down, quite simply, with money.
Have Brisbane v Auckland at one of the top Rugby stadiums on a 3 year deal, promote the shit out of it, promote SA Tourism to Aussies and Kiwis.

After the first year, if response was encouraging, give them the chance to host a serious international tournament. A requirement being that the national team receives the funding required to compete at a professional level.
South Africa, Lebanon, Greece, Scotland?

There's more arguably as much benefit here as the US, if not more. US has more potential money obviously, but SA has the existing Rugby culture and could be fast tracked to a top 10 team almost instantly if the will was there.

I don't mind those ideas as long as the domestic side of things get a chance to be mentioned or shown at the game as well. Have a Sa domestic gf played or something so the locals feel apart of the event

adamkungl

Immortal
New question that needs to be answered this year...

What is the future of the Emerging Nations Championship?
It is seemingly delayed from 2021 (same as 2017) because the IRL and Nations can't come to an agreement on timing and I guess they want clear air for the main WCs.
It needs to be a locked in feature of the calendar rather than starting from scratch every few years.

But with qualifiers and regional tournaments taking place every other year, it is difficult to find a spot in the calendar that isn't overly demanding on a nations finances.

The best answer I can come up with is to hold it in 2022 or 2023 but officially limit it to nations which are Observer IRL members - ie. do not meet the requirements to participate in IRL tournaments and qualifiers. And so do not clash with any other tournament requirements.

A 2022 Emerging Nations might look like:
Asia-Pacific: India, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu
Europe: Poland, Hungary, Albania
Americas: Mexico, Colombia, Argentina
MEA: Morocco, Ghana, Nigeria

The 2018 edition featured
Asia-Pacific: Niue, Philippines, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Japan, Hong Kong
Europe: Malta, Greece, Hungary, Poland, Turkey

So excluded due to progressing past Observer would be - Malta, Greece, Turkey
Note sure due to membership listed as "Pending" - Niue, Philippines, Japan, Hong Kong

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
On nines, I think that is a great vehicle for RL development and should be the format that we develop new nations with so we can reach the 40 affiliations we need. Alongside touch footy in schools.

adamkungl

Immortal
Malta v Lebanon announced for Sydney, Belmore Oval, June 20 during NRL rep weekend.
All eyes on Lebanon to see whether they get their top level talent like Mitch Moses, Alex Twal and Adam Doueihi back on board.

Also relevant to Lebanon, MEA Cup 2020 confirmed to feature hosts South Africa, plus Lebanon, Morocco, and title holders Nigeria. It will be held in Pretoria "in the autumn" whatever that means (I'd be surprised if its in the next 3-4 months.. seems too soon to not have dates yet?)
Unknown what this means for previous participants Ghana and Cameroon, a B-tournament or series hasn't been announced as yet.

This months only mens international that I'm aware of is still Peru v Brazil in Campbeltown on Feb 22.

February updates on the big questions:

Who will the Kangaroos play aside from England?
????

Will we get clarity on the Oceania Cup format going forward?
????

Will England play in the European Cup, and will it be a 4 or 6 Nation tournament?
No England, but a decent expansion. Still some conflicting details floating around p&r and formats floating around.

What will happen with the mid-year tests?
First announced is Lebanon v Malta, still waiting on the others
England might change tack under Shaun Wane and abandon the mooted Samoa game down under.
My hope is still for test matchups grouped by region and ranking, with every WC nation getting a game
polynesia:
NZ v Tonga
Samoa v Cook Islands
melanesia:
Fiji v PNG
uk+ireland:
England v Ireland
Wales v Scotland
europe:
France v Italy
Spain v Greece
americas:
Jamaica v USA/Canada

Lebanon, Jamaica, Italy, Greece, Spain, Serbia, Norway, USA, Canada, South Africa
Who and when will they play?

European Cup giving games to all Europe member nations.
MEA Cup just announced with Lebanon and South Africa.
Americas Cup to be announced still..
But still think Lebanon Jamaica and Greece will need to come up against some stiffer competition than what these tournaments will offer them. They're all playing down rather than up.

Will the infighting in Lebanon, Tonga, Fiji, France, and Greece be satisfactorily resolved?
Word is the situation in Greece is untangling with the main instigator no longer in power at Modern Pentathlon. Keeping an eye out for more news.

Will the GB Lions have a future?
??????

What is the future of International 9s?
?????

Will we ever get the "Continental Cup"?
??????

WHERE WILL THE 2025 WORLD CUP BE HELD?
??????