What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Pre-Season

callmack1

Staff member
Pre-Season training re-commences today and the boys are all back together for the first time this year! I'd say this first week back will be a lot of tests and fitness work.

Rabbit57

Juniors
Pre-Season training re-commences today and the boys are all back together for the first time this year! I'd say this first week back will be a lot of tests and fitness work.
Does anyone know if Mago is still trialing with the squad? Be interested to know if he is still part of the plan for 2020. Also if any other new faces have been seen at training?

callmack1

Staff member
This came off another forum,

Yeah I went down and had a look today. Field session started at about 9am. A pretty big turnout today which was good to see.

They did some opposed drills among some firness/running drills. Some general observations:

• Keon Koloamatangi looked impressive in the opposed drills. Runs a great line and certainly takes some stopping with ball in hand. Looks to be training as an edge backrower rather than a middle forward and given the lack of depth in that position I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the top 17 sooner than later.
  • Latrell also looked pretty good with the ball, threw some nice passes out to his winger and looked dangerous trailing cookie through the middle of the ruck on some plays. However, fitness wise he is way behind the others and was coming last on a lot of the running drils. I suppose this is to be expected considering he has only been back into it for a couple of days.
  • I believe it was mentioned on here previously but Adam Doueihi did look a little somber and somewhat disconnected from the rest of the group. He was the first of the non-injured players to leave the training paddock and didn’t see him eating with the rest of the squad after the session. Could be some truth behind the rumours of his departure.
  • Overall execution in attack could have been better, particularly early in the session. I noticed a few passes missing the mark among some handling errors, however they improved as the session went on. There was some slick ball movement at times. Jimmy the jet looked dangerous.
  • Some good intent on the defensive side of things. Some good reads on the edges and the defensive side had the playmakers under pressure with some good line speed. Positive signs there.
  • No GI today, but great to see Sutto and Sammy involved in the session. Both were vocal at times and look to be enjoying their new roles.
  • AJ looked pretty relaxed and trained well. Didn’t seem like a guy who is on his way out the door.
  • I overheard another fan asking Dane Gagai if he was sticking around and he said yes and there was no way he was going anywhere. He said we’ve got a lethal backline we’re forming here and he’s excited to be a part of it.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Yeah I went down and had a look today. Field session started at about 9am. A pretty big turnout today which was good to see.

They did some opposed drills among some firness/running drills. Some general observations:

• Keon Koloamatangi looked impressive in the opposed drills. Runs a great line and certainly takes some stopping with ball in hand. Looks to be training as an edge backrower rather than a middle forward and given the lack of depth in that position I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the top 17 sooner than later.
  • Latrell also looked pretty good with the ball, threw some nice passes out to his winger and looked dangerous trailing cookie through the middle of the ruck on some plays. However, fitness wise he is way behind the others and was coming last on a lot of the running drils. I suppose this is to be expected considering he has only been back into it for a couple of days.
  • I believe it was mentioned on here previously but Adam Doueihi did look a little somber and somewhat disconnected from the rest of the group. He was the first of the non-injured players to leave the training paddock and didn’t see him eating with the rest of the squad after the session. Could be some truth behind the rumours of his departure.
  • Overall execution in attack could have been better, particularly early in the session. I noticed a few passes missing the mark among some handling errors, however they improved as the session went on. There was some slick ball movement at times. Jimmy the jet looked dangerous.
  • Some good intent on the defensive side of things. Some good reads on the edges and the defensive side had the playmakers under pressure with some good line speed. Positive signs there.
  • No GI today, but great to see Sutto and Sammy involved in the session. Both were vocal at times and look to be enjoying their new roles.
  • AJ looked pretty relaxed and trained well. Didn’t seem like a guy who is on his way out the door.
  • I overheard another fan asking Dane Gagai if he was sticking around and he said yes and there was no way he was going anywhere. He said we’ve got a lethal backline we’re forming here and he’s excited to be a part of it.
Great to hear re the Koloa, not such good news re Douiehi

Rabbits20

Immortal

Talk also is Goodwin is training the house down guys.

Travitoh

First Grade
Latrell also looked pretty good with the ball, threw some nice passes out to his winger and looked dangerous trailing cookie through the middle of the ruck on some plays. However, fitness wise he is way behind the others and was coming last on a lot of the running drils. I suppose this is to be expected considering he has only been back into it for a couple of days.

In the modern professional era, I'm concerned that he is way behind the others.
Just arriving shouldn't be an excuse, it is literally a part of his job requirement to keep himself in the best condition he can.
Pre-season should be used to build on a fitness base, not to get up to it.

southsport

First Grade
Just arriving shouldn't be an excuse, it is literally a part of his job requirement to keep himself in the best condition he can.
Latrell was busy fighting bushfires around Taree for a while I think.

Rabbits20

Immortal
He will be right mate, we just have to be patient with him, I have faith in our coaching staff and that we are the right fit for Latrell.

Look at GI how he came back from the break to us years ago he was even more unfit than Latrell and it turned out fine as the season went on.