What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Rabbits20

Immortal
9now.nine.com.au/today/nsw-fires-ron-cootes-wife-forced-to-jump-in-lake-to-survive-devastating-lake-conjola-fire/36bf14cf-9a41-4583-b696-23f9cc2f8c43

Rugby league legend Ron Coote has told of how he lost his home of 35 years in Lake Conjola to bushfires as his family later desperately jumped into a lake to take shelter.

Ron Coote's wife, Robin, said that she was with her daughter and a couple of friends, when they had to make the split-second decision to jump in.

"We got down onto the pontoon and the flames were there, it was really scary… and I jumped in. It was daytime, but it was pitch black," she told Today.

In the end Mrs Coote was saved by a passer-by on a jetski after spending about an hour in the lake.

Robin Coote was forced to jump into a lake to survive a NSW bushfire

"I was up with fire hoses and I had lost track of what had happened to them. And I hear after, they had ran down to where the pontoon was, they had to jump in the lake, the three of them," Ron Coote told Today.

"My daughter Natalie helped then all down… and they had to swim out and had to tread water."

The Coote family lost their home of 35 years after a desperate battle to save it.

There was little the family could do after fire got into the eaves of the home.
There was little the family could do after fire got into the eaves of the home. (Supplied)

Ron Coote said the fire moved at lightning fast speed, and there was little he could do.

"The fires started up on the highway which is 2.5km from where we live. It happened so quickly, all of a sudden on top of us," he said.

"We were defending there, we had fire hoses, pumps and had to use the water out of the swimming pool, then it got up into the eaves of those house… then she went up mate."

His daughter's house, which is next door, was also lost. At least 50 homes in Lake Conjola have been destroyed.

They both went up… we lost them, we lost everything. It's a bit daunting of a morning when you get up and you have no clothes to put on. We used to get up and go to the drawer to put something on and away you'd go, but unfortunately that's happened.

"That's life, you get on with it... we're not going to let this interfere with our great life we have down here."

Many towns across NSW and Victoria are now facing severe food and water shortages in what is being branded as a humanitarian crisis.

Destroyed or damaged trees on the Kings Highway that is closed due to hazardous conditions regarding the fire near Batemans Bay. 1st January, 2020. Photo: Kate Geraghty/SMH
Destroyed or damaged trees on the Kings Highway that is closed due to hazardous conditions regarding the fire near Batemans Bay. 1st January, 2020. Photo: Kate Geraghty/SMH (Kate Geraghty)

Mr Coote said they are unable to leave Lake Conjola to get supplies.

"We've been lucky cause we've been with the McKelby family, who have been looking after us. Lucky because they have good supplies but that's all coming to an end. We need food, we need to be able to leave here to get food, the shops have nothing, there is no water on the shelves. There is nothing in the shops."

He said the community is feeling cut off, forgotten, and has directed a message to the Government.

"I think it's just crazy that they're doing that to us. We need to be able to go into town and come back if we have got to.

"The number one message is, the fires all the time that are coming never used to happen years ago. I think they've got to get back to the burning, not stopping everyone from burning the bush around the house so you can clear the house."

Despite the ordeal, Mr Coote said that he and his family plan to rebuild.

They both went up… we lost them, we lost everything. It's a bit daunting of a morning when you get up and you have no clothes to put on. We used to get up and go to the drawer to put something on and away you'd go, but unfortunately that's happened.

"That's life, you get on with it... we're not going to let this interfere with our great life we have down here."

Many towns across NSW and Victoria are now facing severe food and water shortages in what is being branded as a humanitarian crisis.

Destroyed or damaged trees on the Kings Highway that is closed due to hazardous conditions regarding the fire near Batemans Bay. 1st January, 2020. Photo: Kate Geraghty/SMH
Destroyed or damaged trees on the Kings Highway that is closed due to hazardous conditions regarding the fire near Batemans Bay. 1st January, 2020. Photo: Kate Geraghty/SMH (Kate Geraghty)

Mr Coote said they are unable to leave Lake Conjola to get supplies.

"We've been lucky cause we've been with the McKelby family, who have been looking after us. Lucky because they have good supplies but that's all coming to an end. We need food, we need to be able to leave here to get food, the shops have nothing, there is no water on the shelves. There is nothing in the shops."

He said the community is feeling cut off, forgotten, and has directed a message to the Government.

"I think it's just crazy that they're doing that to us. We need to be able to go into town and come back if we have got to.

"The number one message is, the fires all the time that are coming never used to happen years ago. I think they've got to get back to the burning, not stopping everyone from burning the bush around the house so you can clear the house."

Despite the ordeal, Mr Coote said that he and his family plan to rebuild.

The great Bob McCarthy and his wife were staying with Ron and Robin at the time.

Thankfully they are all safe.

Rabbits20

Immortal
From Andrew Webster in today's SMH:

Latrell Mitchell believes the circus surrounding his playing future is driven by the media. The truth is it’s driven by Roosters chairman Nick Politis no longer wanting him at the club.

It’s an intriguing stalemate between a headstrong 22-year-old and a 77-year-old businessman The Australian Financial Review says has a personal wealth of $1.23 billion.

Politis wanted Mitchell off the club’s books by January 1 but that didn’t happen. Instead, the international centre must front training on January 6 or he will be in breach of contract.

It’s clear he doesn’t want to play for Michael Maguire at the Wests Tigers, otherwise he would have snapped up the big money on offer.

Souths remain a possibility, but how any contract would look — and for what value — depends on a range of factors, including when Titans middle forward Jai Arrow joins them and if other players are released. Rabbitohs winger Dane Gagai has no desire to leave, despite reports about him being shopped to other clubs.

Pauly1

Juniors
Happy New Year guys!!! We are now officially in a new era for the club and it's exciting!! Hope everyone had a good night last night, I certainly did and am extremely hungover today haha. Didn't get to sleep until 4am! A great New Years it was!

Anyway, back on topic, I'm not celebrating about Latrell just yet as it's not from an official, trusted news outlet like the Arrow news was last week. It's hopefully looking very promising but I'm not gonna get carried away just yet. When it comes from an official, trusted news outlet and it's reported in more places than one, I will run up and down the main street of New Plymouth singing Glory, Glory hahaha. I will be absolutely estatic if we land Latrell.
You would think that the media would be all over this by now.Latrell Mitchel signing would be a good lead sport story.

Rabbit57

Juniors
You would think that the media would be all over this by now.Latrell Mitchel signing would be a good lead sport story.
All the top reporters are on holidays at the moment. There is no news on the NRL website, just rehashing previous predicted team lineup stories. This type of news is released when it can have maximum impact. Until then we will have to be satisfied with rumours about Mitchell signing. Training for most clubs starts again next week. Maybe we can expect something then. Particularly if Latrell isn’t at Roosters training.

Rabbits20

Immortal
All the top reporters are on holidays at the moment. There is no news on the NRL website, just rehashing previous predicted team lineup stories. This type of news is released when it can have maximum impact. Until then we will have to be satisfied with rumours about Mitchell signing. Training for most clubs starts again next week. Maybe we can expect something then. Particularly if Latrell isn’t at Roosters training.
I reckon we will be hearing quite a bit more over the weekend if we don’t tomorrow, won’t be long now, we are playing this well.

Mixo Joe

Juniors
Rumour off another forum (don’t wanna say where @callmack1 don’t wanna get in any strife but thought you guys may like to know)....

Rumour is Murray has recently agreed to a 5 year extension at Souths.

I have no idea at all if there is any truth in that but let’s hope something like this is worked out and soon @Peter Quinn @Souths Till I Die
Oh come on R20 we all know it's the Www......n:relaxed: a mate said channel 7 news have reported mitchell 3 year deal with bunnies. I'll wait for the official email thanks:laughing:

callmack1

Staff member
Rumour off another forum (don’t wanna say where @callmack1 don’t wanna get in any strife but thought you guys may like to know)....

Rumour is Murray has recently agreed to a 5 year extension at Souths.

I have no idea at all if there is any truth in that but let’s hope something like this is worked out and soon @Peter Quinn @Souths Till I Die
Wouldn't that be brilliant?!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Oh come on R20 we all know it's the Www......n:relaxed: a mate said channel 7 news have reported mitchell 3 year deal with bunnies. I'll wait for the official email thanks:laughing:
Mate we aren’t meant to name other forums on here if you didn’t know so I was just trying to uphold forum standards and respect that/listen to what @callmack1 has told me too re upholding the standards and I’m doing my very best to obey all that on this great site of us Bunny diehards.

Cheers mate for that, so was it on ch 7 news tonight?

How cool would it be though if we can get Murray re-signed long term! I won’t be able to contain myself I’ll go running down the hallway here and leaping with pure joy and elation, it would be massive!

Mixo Joe

Juniors
Mate we aren’t meant to name other forums on here if you didn’t know so I was just trying to uphold forum standards and respect that/listen to what @callmack1 has told me too re upholding the standards and I’m doing my very best to obey all that on this great site of us Bunny diehards.

Cheers mate for that, so was it on ch 7 news tonight?

How cool would it be though if we can get Murray re-signed long term! I won’t be able to contain myself I’ll go running down the hallway here and leaping with pure joy and elation, it would be massive!
Thanks R20 didn't know the protocol regarding naming other sites:laughing: yeah Murray 5 year extension means the rorters can't get him:sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Thanks R20 didn't know the protocol regarding naming other sites:laughing: yeah Murray 5 year extension means the rorters can't get him:sweat_smile::sweat_smile:
Geez I hope it’s true!

You got any news re Latrell?

I’m not worried tbh as I said from what I’ve heard I’m very confident he’s coming and it won’t be long now.

Rabbits20

Immortal
@Mixo Joe re Arrow I’m hoping Mascot Spy is correct as I have had no info from sources re him so I can only hope we get him here 12 months early, whereas re Latrell I’ve had several pieces of inside info which as I said has me really confident mate.

I have no idea re whether we have any interest at Addo Carr and re depth forwards on other sites there had been talk around of Mago being on a train and trial contract but apart from that I’ve heard nothing.

It’s sure not all the time I get inside info, in fact it’s quite rare but when I do I like to let you guys know.

Mixo Joe

Juniors
@Mixo Joe re Arrow I’m hoping Mascot Spy is correct as I have had no info from sources re him so I can only hope we get him here 12 months early, whereas re Latrell I’ve had several pieces of inside info which as I said has me really confident mate.

I have no idea re whether we have any interest at Addo Carr and re depth forwards on other sites there had been talk around of Mago being on a train and trial contract but apart from that I’ve heard nothing.

It’s sure not all the time I get inside info, in fact it’s quite rare but when I do I like to let you guys know.
Maybe R20 there could possibly be a swap with JAC and AJ. Yeah pretty quiet on the Arrow situation. Gags loves Souths don't think he's interested in going to tits and why would he. I'm still confident we'll get Arrow this year. As soon as Mitchell is confirmed a bunny you watch the rorters announce the signing of Fafita

Rabbits20

Immortal
Maybe R20 there could possibly be a swap with JAC and AJ. Yeah pretty quiet on the Arrow situation. Gags loves Souths don't think he's interested in going to tits and why would he. I'm still confident we'll get Arrow this year. As soon as Mitchell is confirmed a bunny you watch the rorters announce the signing of Fafita
You really think they’ll sign Fifita? I thought he was favoured to stay in Brisbane?

There had been rumours of Easts chasing Xerri though.

Mixo Joe

Juniors
You really think they’ll sign Fifita? I thought he was favoured to stay in Brisbane?

There had been rumours of Easts chasing Xerri though.
Never trust those cheating rorters R20. They have been pretty quiet. Yeah I've heard the Xerri rumour as he would like to play with his best mate Flanno. Why are the Broncs taking so long to announce the signing of Fifita?

Rabbits20

Immortal
Never trust those cheating rorters R20. They have been pretty quiet. Yeah I've heard the Xerri rumour as he would like to play with his best mate Flanno. Why are the Broncs taking so long to announce the signing of Fifita?
I don’t trust them mate don’t worry, I know what they’re like as you say and they’ll have something up their sleeve!

Maybe they’re awaiting TPA’s for a guess re Fifita.

Surely we can’t still be in the mix for Fifita now!

I reckon over the next 48-72 hrs we will hear more re Latrell is my guess, as I said only a matter of time!

Latest posts