What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 ratings

Perth Red

Post Whore
It is easier to do that when the Maori language and culture is one compared to the hundreds of tribes with their own ways we have

what a strange opinion. Why does it matter if there are variations in language, dream times and traditions? Aboriginals have common threads running through their culture, it’s actually a great asset for Australia if we could get past the racist BS. I went over to Suncorp a few years ago for it and was great, hearing the anthem sung in the local aboriginal language was stirring stuff.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Getting off topic now but I think the knights are a must for the NRLW. The game is huge here and would be a big boost to the competition.

would make sense to limit it to three or so sydney teams to not over saturate the playing stock and slowly expand with non sydney teams that have a strong women’s game and can afford to run them well.

franklin2323

Immortal
what a strange opinion. Why does it matter if there are variations in language, dream times and traditions? Aboriginals have common threads running through their culture, it’s actually a great asset for Australia if we could get past the racist BS. I went over to Suncorp a few years ago for it and was great, hearing the anthem sung in the local aboriginal language was stirring stuff.

Because say you get local elders into a school the issue. Different stuff is passed on dependent of the city. You also have a language that wasn’t written down so unlike the other ancient cultures taught in school so harder to teach to people.

I do think it is getting better and certainly stuff like this game helps

T-Boon

Coach
With no cricket season this past 6 months you would think NRL is about to rate its butt off. I have had to watch all my sports in the mornings which makes it hard but not impossible to drink scotch.

T-Boon

Coach
Seems like the women’s game rated quite well. I really hope we get our act together here, the growth potential is huge. I can’t help but feel like the AFLW might have already cemented itself somewhat as the women’s game out of the 2 though. We need to make up for lost time.

The one problem AFL have is how bad the women's version of the game looks. Womens RL looks pretty good. WAFL is horrid.

T-Boon

Coach
Agreed, women's league although slower in general is still watchable. The women's SOO is a season highlight imo

RL is great to watch when there is lots of passing especially short passing to keep a play alive like that "contract football" they use to talk about but has been killed of by Bellamy ball.

That's what women's RL should keep developing - contract football. Because they probably aren't going to be great long kickers and bombers or be flat out fast or powerful.

Coparugby

Juniors
Because say you get local elders into a school the issue. Different stuff is passed on dependent of the city. You also have a language that wasn’t written down so unlike the other ancient cultures taught in school so harder to teach to people.

I do think it is getting better and certainly stuff like this game helps
Indonesia has over 150 different cultures and languages. PNG have over 800 different languages (not dialects).

These countries do ok when putting together a combined face for sporting events. Both their differences and commonalities bring them together.

No different for Indigenous Australia.

franklin2323

Immortal
Indonesia has over 150 different cultures and languages. PNG have over 800 different languages (not dialects).

These countries do ok when putting together a combined face for sporting events. Both their differences and commonalities bring them together.

No different for Indigenous Australia.

Tok Pisin is the main indigenous language in PNG is written along side English on signs. Compare that to the Aboriginal languages that is mainly sounds.

Indonesia has one main language that is spoken by over 40 million people. I think we do a good job but of course can be better.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Might be overstating things and it's probably not the right thread but I think this match has the potential to boost the chances of black/white reconciliation in Australia. Really was proud of the Indigenous boys representing their culture(s) and I felt they were representing me as an Australian too.

I have 0% indigenous heritage and I still feel more patriotic watching this match than anything the Kangaroos have ever done.

Fantastic decision to switch the opposition to the Maoris instead of just canning the concept like RL usually does when things start to slow down.

Reactions: gUt

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The one problem AFL have is how bad the women's version of the game looks. Womens RL looks pretty good. WAFL is horrid.

The first season of the NRLW was too scrappy for me to watch more than the highlights.

But last season, the skill level jumped massively. The players still arent at the level of the mens comp, but i actually really enjoy that. Watching the NRLW atm feels like watching NSWRL/ARL from the 80s/90s.

tri_colours

Juniors
Im not sure if this has already been posted? here's the NRL financials for 2019.

Revenue generated for the year was $555,914,757

(2018: $523,562,341). The Group’s current year

operating surplus was $28,982,716 (2018:

$50,250,026).

tri_colours

Juniors
Ratings well down on last years opener
EelsBulldogs
633k (Metro 391k)( Regional 242k)
Fox: 242,000

= 875k (gem still to come)

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the shift to online viewing is significant the nrl needs to get on top of this and release its own figures showing total audiences. Don’t want it to look like viewers are abandoning the game when they’re going into a contract negotiation period.

Starkers

Bench
no two ways about it, NRL got rekt by AFL in ratings last night.

it was a much better AFL match up than NRL though. but comparatively AFL is up on 2019 and NRL is down.

fox numbers were still solid for NRL, but AFL just had a great night of it. see how it pans out over the course of the year, but seems like FTA for NRL getting wiped away and who can blame fans with the tripe they serve up.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
no two ways about it, NRL got rekt by AFL in ratings last night.

it was a much better AFL match up than NRL though. but comparatively AFL is up on 2019 and NRL is down.

fox numbers were still solid for NRL, but AFL just had a great night of it. see how it pans out over the course of the year, but seems like FTA for NRL getting wiped away and who can blame fans with the tripe they serve up.
One game. One