What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Season Preview

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
2020 Preview: Penrith Panthers
Josh Robertson (@joshrobbo44) | February 27 2020 9:26PM

2019 was an absolute season to forget for the Penrith Panthers, with off-field drama both in the boardroom and in the courtroom.

This, along with an attack that was stagnant, didn't help the mountain men in their quest for a fourth straight finals appearance.

For all the pages you could write out about their attacking issues, Penrith's defence was actually pretty safe - conceding just 474 points in the season which put them into the top eight sides defensively.

The Panthers always showed glimpses of form, and their stretch of six wins in a row mid-season showed that their attack and defence could fire when needed. They could beat just about anyone on those occasions and they were able to beat four top-eight sides including reigning (and eventual) premiers the Sydney Roosters.

Moving forward to 2020, Penrith will take a new look into the season, with veteran half James Maloney moving to France, meaning that they need a new halves partner for Nathan Cleary - this choice comes in the form of Jarome Luai, Matt Burton and (after Round 5) Tyrone May, who are all in the mix to take the #6 jersey.

The Panthers have also moved on representative forward Regan Campbell-Gillard but thankfully been boosted with the signings of Kurt Capewell from the Sharks and Zane Tetevano from the Sydney Roosters.

Across the park the side is stacked with talent, but the question is whether they can show it with consistency - which as a Panthers fan isn't a word that we first think about. The supporter base are right to have concerns about the 2020 season - a rookie half joining an underperforming "star" in Nathan Cleary meaning a lack of points again could be another downfall for the Panthers.

The other issue that they could see is injuries - a regular problem at the foot of the mountains. Already they have been struck by an ankle injury to Dylan Edwards which could have a big effect on the start of the season. If they can stay fit, there's no doubt on their day Penrith can match it with the top sides.

The signings of Capewell and Tetevano will hopefully be a boost to a side that has lacked that consistency in the forwards and second row.

Why they'll win it
Talent stretches throughout the club thanks to a solid development structure. With Nathan Cleary leading the attack, Penrith can score points rapidly and some of the form that the understrength Panthers showed in their trial win over the Wests Tigers last weekend showed there could be points flowing in 2020.

Add to that, the motivation is there for a better season than 2019.

Why they won't
It's the Panthers. I know that it doesn't sound like a valid reason but at the end of the day the Panthers are a side that promises the world, but delivers an atlas.

They have so much to offer, but their attack and defence go missing in games where they need to perform strongly, and have the habit of letting the big games drop when it really matters.

2020 Draw
Penrith start with arguably the hardest draw to open the season, with the defending premiers the Sydney Roosters visiting Panthers Stadium in Round 1. A Friday night trip to Kogarah against the Dragons is the easiest game that the Panthers have in the first 5 rounds with matches against Melbourne, Brisbane and Canberra all packed in that timeframe.

The run gets a fraction easier, but a stretch of six weeks between ANZAC round and Origin I sees them play no games at Panthers Stadium and just one home match which has them on their annual trip to Bathurst.

The latter half of the 2020 season is much kinder than the first half with just two "long" trips - clashes in Auckland and Brisbane, winding down with a Sydney-based final 5 rounds - something that should help them a lot compared to 2019.

9lqbIuW.png

Key player
Unsurprisingly, Nathan Cleary is the key player for the Panthers in 2020 after an indifferent season last year.

The Panthers will be needing Cleary to fire so that they can actually score points in a meaningful manner, something which was their Achilles heel throughout 2019. Cleary had moments of brilliance for the Panthers and New South Wales but the lack of consistency and strange incompatibility in strategy with James Maloney was an issue. The Cleary combination with Luai and Burton has already shown success which should be a big boost in 2020.

Rookie To Watch
Matt Burton made a meteoric rise to NRL from SG Ball level in 2019 and the youngster immediately shone in his one and only appearance against the Sharks. Burton possesses a strong kicking game which pairs nicely with Cleary but also has a strong running game, which has seen him make his mark in the lower grades and earnt his call-up to the NRL.

Player movement
New signings for 2020: Api Koroisau (Sea Eagles), Kurt Capewell (Sharks), Zane Tetevano (Roosters)

Contracted for 2020: Caleb Aekins, Dean Blore, Shawn Blore, William Burns, Matt Burton, Jed Cartwright, Nathan Cleary, Stephen Crichton, Dylan Edwards, Kaide Ellis, James Fisher-Harris, Jack Hetherington, Mitch Kenny, Viliame Kikau, Spencer Leniu, Moses Leota, Jarome Luai, Josh Mansour, Liam Martin, Tyrone May, Braydon McGrady, Brent Naden, James Tamou, Brian To'o, Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, Dean Whare, Isaah Yeo

2020 Development contracts: Shannon Harris, Daine Laurie, Glenn McGrady

Losses: Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Eels), James Maloney (Catalans), Sione Katoa (Bulldogs), Wayde Egan (Warriors), Tim Grant & Sam McKendry (retired), Tyrell Fuimaono (Dragons), Nick Lui-Toso, Paea Pua, Hame Sele, Frank Winterstein (all released)

Best 17
1. Dylan Edwards
2. Josh Mansour
3. Brent Naden
4. Dean Whare
5. Brian To'o
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nathan Cleary
8. James Tamou
9. Api Koroisau
10. Moses Leota
11. Viliame Kikau
12. James Fisher-Harris
13. Isaah Yeo

14. Kurt Capewell
15. Zane Tetevano
16. Tyrone May
17. Mitch Kenny

SOURCE: https://leagueunlimited.com/news/34406-2020-preview-penrith-panthers/

OldPanther

Coach
2020 Preview: Penrith Panthers
Josh Robertson (@joshrobbo44) | February 27 2020 9:26PM

2019 was an absolute season to forget for the Penrith Panthers, with off-field drama both in the boardroom and in the courtroom.

This, along with an attack that was stagnant, didn't help the mountain men in their quest for a fourth straight finals appearance.

For all the pages you could write out about their attacking issues, Penrith's defence was actually pretty safe - conceding just 474 points in the season which put them into the top eight sides defensively.

The Panthers always showed glimpses of form, and their stretch of six wins in a row mid-season showed that their attack and defence could fire when needed. They could beat just about anyone on those occasions and they were able to beat four top-eight sides including reigning (and eventual) premiers the Sydney Roosters.

Moving forward to 2020, Penrith will take a new look into the season, with veteran half James Maloney moving to France, meaning that they need a new halves partner for Nathan Cleary - this choice comes in the form of Jarome Luai, Matt Burton and (after Round 5) Tyrone May, who are all in the mix to take the #6 jersey.

The Panthers have also moved on representative forward Regan Campbell-Gillard but thankfully been boosted with the signings of Kurt Capewell from the Sharks and Zane Tetevano from the Sydney Roosters.

Across the park the side is stacked with talent, but the question is whether they can show it with consistency - which as a Panthers fan isn't a word that we first think about. The supporter base are right to have concerns about the 2020 season - a rookie half joining an underperforming "star" in Nathan Cleary meaning a lack of points again could be another downfall for the Panthers.

The other issue that they could see is injuries - a regular problem at the foot of the mountains. Already they have been struck by an ankle injury to Dylan Edwards which could have a big effect on the start of the season. If they can stay fit, there's no doubt on their day Penrith can match it with the top sides.

The signings of Capewell and Tetevano will hopefully be a boost to a side that has lacked that consistency in the forwards and second row.

Why they'll win it
Talent stretches throughout the club thanks to a solid development structure. With Nathan Cleary leading the attack, Penrith can score points rapidly and some of the form that the understrength Panthers showed in their trial win over the Wests Tigers last weekend showed there could be points flowing in 2020.

Add to that, the motivation is there for a better season than 2019.

Why they won't
It's the Panthers. I know that it doesn't sound like a valid reason but at the end of the day the Panthers are a side that promises the world, but delivers an atlas.

They have so much to offer, but their attack and defence go missing in games where they need to perform strongly, and have the habit of letting the big games drop when it really matters.

2020 Draw
Penrith start with arguably the hardest draw to open the season, with the defending premiers the Sydney Roosters visiting Panthers Stadium in Round 1. A Friday night trip to Kogarah against the Dragons is the easiest game that the Panthers have in the first 5 rounds with matches against Melbourne, Brisbane and Canberra all packed in that timeframe.

The run gets a fraction easier, but a stretch of six weeks between ANZAC round and Origin I sees them play no games at Panthers Stadium and just one home match which has them on their annual trip to Bathurst.

The latter half of the 2020 season is much kinder than the first half with just two "long" trips - clashes in Auckland and Brisbane, winding down with a Sydney-based final 5 rounds - something that should help them a lot compared to 2019.

9lqbIuW.png

Key player
Unsurprisingly, Nathan Cleary is the key player for the Panthers in 2020 after an indifferent season last year.

The Panthers will be needing Cleary to fire so that they can actually score points in a meaningful manner, something which was their Achilles heel throughout 2019. Cleary had moments of brilliance for the Panthers and New South Wales but the lack of consistency and strange incompatibility in strategy with James Maloney was an issue. The Cleary combination with Luai and Burton has already shown success which should be a big boost in 2020.

Rookie To Watch
Matt Burton made a meteoric rise to NRL from SG Ball level in 2019 and the youngster immediately shone in his one and only appearance against the Sharks. Burton possesses a strong kicking game which pairs nicely with Cleary but also has a strong running game, which has seen him make his mark in the lower grades and earnt his call-up to the NRL.

Player movement
New signings for 2020: Api Koroisau (Sea Eagles), Kurt Capewell (Sharks), Zane Tetevano (Roosters)

Contracted for 2020: Caleb Aekins, Dean Blore, Shawn Blore, William Burns, Matt Burton, Jed Cartwright, Nathan Cleary, Stephen Crichton, Dylan Edwards, Kaide Ellis, James Fisher-Harris, Jack Hetherington, Mitch Kenny, Viliame Kikau, Spencer Leniu, Moses Leota, Jarome Luai, Josh Mansour, Liam Martin, Tyrone May, Braydon McGrady, Brent Naden, James Tamou, Brian To'o, Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, Dean Whare, Isaah Yeo

2020 Development contracts: Shannon Harris, Daine Laurie, Glenn McGrady

Losses: Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Eels), James Maloney (Catalans), Sione Katoa (Bulldogs), Wayde Egan (Warriors), Tim Grant & Sam McKendry (retired), Tyrell Fuimaono (Dragons), Nick Lui-Toso, Paea Pua, Hame Sele, Frank Winterstein (all released)

Best 17
1. Dylan Edwards
2. Josh Mansour
3. Brent Naden
4. Dean Whare
5. Brian To'o
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nathan Cleary
8. James Tamou
9. Api Koroisau
10. Moses Leota
11. Viliame Kikau
12. James Fisher-Harris
13. Isaah Yeo

14. Kurt Capewell
15. Zane Tetevano
16. Tyrone May
17. Mitch Kenny

SOURCE: https://leagueunlimited.com/news/34406-2020-preview-penrith-panthers/

A pretty good write up. As said it's all up to Nathan really. Captain or not he is the one who has to lead this team.

BuddPanther

Juniors
That best 17 by LU is nowhere near the best 17 we can put on the park
By round 6…

Edwards
Naden
Crichton
Whare
To’o
Burton
Cleary
Tamou
Koroisau
Leota
Kikau
Yeo
Fisher-Harris

May
Capewell / Martin
Tetevano
Leniu

betcats

Referee
That best 17 by LU is nowhere near the best 17 we can put on the park
By round 6…

Edwards
Naden
Crichton
Whare
To’o
Burton
Cleary
Tamou
Koroisau
Leota
Kikau
Yeo
Fisher-Harris

May
Capewell / Martin
Tetevano
Leniu

Edwards is out for longer than that. Id like to see barring injuries:

1.Aekins
2.Mansour
3.Naden
4.Crichton
5.Too
6.Burton
7.Cleary
8.Tamou
9.Api
10.Jfh
11.Martin
12.Kikau
13.Yeo

14.May/Luai/Kenny
15.Leota
16.Capewell
17.Tetevano

18.Leniu
19.Burns
20.Heathro

We won’t have a full strength forward pack each week and this kind of depth gives us a better chance to rest guys with minor knocks and let Leniu, Burns etc get a run.

Id also be watching the young fullbacks closely and seeing if they will be ready later in the year in particular Laurie, to me it looks like he has the game it’s just depends if he can handle it physically.

Edit: Jed is another one who should be in the mix, hopefully he can stay healthy.

franklin2323

Immortal
Edwards is out for longer than that. Id like to see barring injuries:

1.Aekins
2.Mansour
3.Naden
4.Crichton
5.Too
6.Burton
7.Cleary
8.Tamou
9.Api
10.Jfh
11.Martin
12.Kikau
13.Yeo

14.May/Luai/Kenny
15.Leota
16.Capewell
17.Tetevano

18.Leniu
19.Burns
20.Heathro

We won’t have a full strength forward pack each week and this kind of depth gives us a better chance to rest guys with minor knocks and let Leniu, Burns etc get a run.

Id also be watching the young fullbacks closely and seeing if they will be ready later in the year in particular Laurie, to me it looks like he has the game it’s just depends if he can handle it physically.

Edit: Jed is another one who should be in the mix, hopefully he can stay healthy.

Aekins is no better then Edwards same lack of speed and no ball skills.

if Luai or Burton aren’t going back than Crichton is the best option with Burns at centre

betcats

Referee
Aekins is no better then Edwards same lack of speed and no ball skills.

if Luai or Burton aren’t going back than Crichton is the best option with Burns at centre

I think Aekins and Edwards are good enough, Aekins probably is not a long term option but we have plenty of potential options going forward. Crichton is interesting but I’d really like to see him in the centres. If Aekins really isn’t working out then try Crichton or one of the others.

By the time the development players are available the fullback options we will have are Edwards, Aekins, Laurie, Staines, Mcgrady and possibly Crichton. Now not all the young guys will be up to it obviously but if you move Crichton there that leaves you with Whare playing in the centres and a makeshift as your back up and Naden still having defensive question marks around him. If Aekins can do the job you get Crichton in the centres and an experienced back up in Whare.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think Aekins and Edwards are good enough, Aekins probably is not a long term option but we have plenty of potential options going forward. Crichton is interesting but I’d really like to see him in the centres. If Aekins really isn’t working out then try Crichton or one of the others.

By the time the development players are available the fullback options we will have are Edwards, Aekins, Laurie, Staines, Mcgrady and possibly Crichton. Now not all the young guys will be up to it obviously but if you move Crichton there that leaves you with Whare playing in the centres and a makeshift as your back up and Naden still having defensive question marks around him. If Aekins can do the job you get Crichton in the centres and an experienced back up in Whare.

For me it is a no brainer once Laurie and Staines can play they would be fullback. Crichton back to the centres unless Edwards proves in NSW Cup he is a genuine play maker

I am of the pick your best 17 and go from there sort of thinking. Burns is too good for NSW Cup. Has looked good the last 2 games he played centre for us. Certainly better than Whare. Crichton is good under the highball, has speed and extra goalkicker and a bit of a kicking game

OldPanther

Coach

Look I'm going to have to report you for being far to logical. For the record I wanted Crichton at fullback but this makes a lot of sense in the grand scheme of things.

betcats

Referee
For me it is a no brainer once Laurie and Staines can play they would be fullback. Crichton back to the centres unless Edwards proves in NSW Cup he is a genuine play maker

I am of the pick your best 17 and go from there sort of thinking. Burns is too good for NSW Cup. Has looked good the last 2 games he played centre for us. Certainly better than Whare. Crichton is good under the highball, has speed and extra goalkicker and a bit of a kicking game

I think Burns can play centre for sure and if Crichton doesn’t get picked there then I’d probably like to see him at fullback. But with all the changes to the spine I just think the relatively safe option of Aekins at fullback and Crichton in the centres makes more sense.

However it works out there is likely going to be some young guys who a lot of us including myself think need to be in the side like Burns, Burton, Leniu etc they will still get their chance to play, Cleary said the other day what he picks in round 1 won’t define the season. Injuries will play a part in that obviously but guys as talented as the ones we have in the squad atm will get a shot, they have to much potential not to see what they can do at the next level.

betcats

Referee
Look I'm going to have to report you for being far to logical. For the record I wanted Crichton at fullback but this makes a lot of sense in the grand scheme of things.

Hahaha :joy: Given Edwards injury and our opening 5 games or so I just think solid suits us more than a a high potential rookie. I still want Crichton in the side though and if he’s not getting picked as a centre or winger I’d definitely like to see him at fullback in the trial. Moses likely won’t play long if he even is playing but he has a kick game that can test a fullback out, Aekins will start there but he won’t play the whole game.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think Burns can play centre for sure and if Crichton doesn’t get picked there then I’d probably like to see him at fullback. But with all the changes to the spine I just think the relatively safe option of Aekins at fullback and Crichton in the centres makes more sense.

However it works out there is likely going to be some young guys who a lot of us including myself think need to be in the side like Burns, Burton, Leniu etc they will still get their chance to play, Cleary said the other day what he picks in round 1 won’t define the season. Injuries will play a part in that obviously but guys as talented as the ones we have in the squad atm will get a shot, they have to much potential not to see what they can do at the next level.

Problem as I see it. Safe won’t beat Roosters, Storm and co. I think 2/5 should be the aim but some unpredictability can change that

John Hamblin

Juniors
The player that has a huge upside and no one is talking about is Shawn Blore. Hopefully he recovers well from ACL and sees some first grade this year. . He could be a Rep Player he's that good.

Panfa

Juniors
Let's see how aekin goes today if no good then we may have to look at chrichton at fullback or luai 1 Burton 6 Cleary 7.As for centre whare was ordinary in the tigers trial naden is a definite for 1 spot I'd look at chrichton or capewell before burns.Capewell is being chased by QLD to play centre if that's the case then surely he could do a job there for us.

John Hamblin

Juniors
Let's see how aekin goes today if no good then we may have to look at chrichton at fullback or luai 1 Burton 6 Cleary 7.As for centre whare was ordinary in the tigers trial naden is a definite for 1 spot I'd look at chrichton or capewell before burns.Capewell is being chased by QLD to play centre if that's the case then surely he could do a job there for us.

I'm not sure that Capewell is the answer in the Centres but could be used as cover there if injuries occur during games.

betcats

Referee

If Aekins doesn’t go well today we definitely should try Crichton.

Panfa

Juniors
I think chrichton won the fullback battle today and played 20 mins.I know aekins was next in line in the pecking order but you need to make that position yours and aekins failed to deliver.

MugaB

Coach
I think chrichton won the fullback battle today and played 20 mins.I know aekins was next in line in the pecking order but you need to make that position yours and aekins failed to deliver.
I agree on Crichton being at fullback, but to be fair Aekins had 60mins of 1st graders testing him, i was pretty happy with his performance, and Crichton only had 20mins vs eels rookies, of course Crichton looked better, you'd remember his efforts due to the near end of the match too. One thing that worries me tho is Aekins was safe played well, but as soon as he left the field we fell away in the game, eels came charging home probably could have won the game too. Our defence on the left was terrible too, Naden needs to be left winger, Mansour has to be replaced. Burns or Crichton in the left centre spot for mine.
Whare and To'o were solid

Panfa

Juniors
Crichton is taller faster stronger than aekins.He has trained the house down in the off season and can jump like an afl player.Hes ready for nrl now can't keep him in reserve grade or we lose another talented youngster to a rival club.We play chrichton fullback till Edwards comes back then we shift him to wing or centre to cover for either mansour or whare.

Latest posts