What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 EF 1 Sat - Sydney 25-24 Gold Coast @ QCBS

Finals Week 1: Sydney v Gold Coast

• Sydney Roosters

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Gold Coast Titans

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Titans go into this with the mindset of just making it into the finals as an achievement, then they’re toast. That thinking might be a little hard to overcome given what their coach has said.

“It feels terrific,” Holbrook said.

“Coming down to the last game was always going to be nerve-wracking for everybody but just to be in the finals is exciting for the players, all the staff and everyone at our club.

“We finished ninth last year and wanted to make the finals and we’ve done it now.”

Eelectrica

Referee
If Titans go into this with the mindset of just making it into the finals as an achievement, then they’re toast. That thinking might be a little hard to overcome given what their coach has said.
I think the Titans will give it a shake, especially in the 1st half. 2nd half is where I expect the battle hardened Roosters to get them.

Next year though the Titans will be wanting to make the finals on the back of a 14+ winning season and a belief they can go deep into the series. They could have had a 14 win season this year, but lapses cost them.

I think the Titans will give it a shake, especially in the 1st half. 2nd half is where I expect the battle hardened Roosters to get them.

Next year though the Titans will be wanting to make the finals on the back of a 14+ winning season and a belief they can go deep into the series. They could have had a 14 win season this year, but lapses cost them.
I think they’ll definitely test us with experience being the difference in the end.

BunniesMan

Immortal
8th being GC's equal best year since 2011, they have reached their ceiling. Easts aren't the team they were at their peak but still good enough to win here.

davi

Juniors

“Coming down to the last game was always going to be nerve-wracking for everybody but just to be in the finals is exciting for the players, all the staff and everyone at our club.

“We finished ninth last year and wanted to make the finals and we’ve done it now.”

To be fair what he supposed to say 'ummmmm yeah it's ok I spouse'. I think Justin Holbrook would be relieved they made it. I know they made the top eight with a 10 - 14 record, but he still would be sleeping better at night. Then having to worry about looking over his shoulder for the moment. A top eight spot is probably enough at the moment to get a pass mark with the hierarchy because the bar is not very high in terms of success at the club. And when I say that I don't mean that in a disrespectful way either.

shear_joy9

Coach
I just have to lol at the league analysts that say "Fifita is back in form". Yes he scored two tries, one from a massive overlap where he went over untouched and the other from a 30cm dive over from dummy half. Against the warriors the only player who ran for less metres than Fifita was Erin Clark the backup hooker who only played 15min. And this was supposedly the game where he was "unleashed".

Last edited:
To be fair what he supposed to say 'ummmmm yeah it's ok I spouse'. I think Justin Holbrook would be relieved they made it. I know they made the top eight with a 10 - 14 record, but he still would be sleeping better at night. Then having to worry about looking over his shoulder for the moment. A top eight spot is probably enough at the moment to get a pass mark with the hierarchy because the bar is not very high in terms of success at the club. And when I say that I don't mean that in a disrespectful way either.
I get all that but they’ve made the finals. That will get forgotten by the board if they don’t compete. I guess he has to find the balance of instilling confidence in the team and managing expectations of the fans and the board.

GongPanther

Referee

He probably meant in the context that making the finals is as much as they hoped for given where they were on the ladder ( mostly middle) at various times of the year.

For the year they've had, I think they've performed well enough to be in this, and I don't think this will be the pushover the betting agent will have one believe.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Well I can't get every prediction wrong and even I can't mess this one up: Easts by plenty (unfortunately).

This Year?

Immortal
How I imagine this is going to be:

kGXS8Yb.jpg

hineyrulz

Post Whore
There will be Adversity aplenty in the play off for the Daniel Conn Cup!! Or the Dale Copley Cup even!!!

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Last time the Titans played in a final, five years ago, they were reamed by G. Sutton. I hope they get a fair go this time. They've got some attack, although most likely the Roosters will get them on Tupou's side. Might be a high scoring affair like last time they met.
I was going to mention this when i read when their last finals appearance was and hope they get a proper crack at winning. One if the most complete 80 min efforts from an official that night, not just a few dud calls but a penalty blown in the opening minute and made sure gc didnt get the smallest bit of momentum the entire game.

Go tits!