What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News 2021 NRL rule changes

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s no surprise now the refs have let the game slow down again that blow outs have reduced.

Someguy

First Grade
The 7th tackle restart from the 20 metre line was brought in because teams were deliberately kicking it dead. To get the defense line set and stop a prime Greg Inglis returning the ball from fullback with open space. It was brought in for good reason.

the implementation was a failure. The idea was to stop teams booting it out the back and stopping a kick return. Should only apply for kicks from more than 40m out.

The current rule punishes short attacking kicks more than anything as the team receiving the tap can take it straight away against a retreating defensive line. If a kick from 40 or 50m results in a 20m tap it results in the tap being delayed until everyone is onside and will result in a set defensive line

Someguy

First Grade
Charge downs should not be 6 again if the kicking team regathers. Why is the player who made the effort punished?

like this idea but it will mean refs will actually have to start penalising teams that are always way offside to create kick pressure

siv

First Grade
Really? Never knew that. Do you have any idea roughly when this happened?

I think it was around the mid-90s maybe with all of SL War rule changes

As grubber kicks grew in popularity

It was seen as a way to remove 6 to go confusion

Interesting they then introduced kicking the ball into someone is not 6 to go to remove the non deliberate touches

Billythekid

First Grade
The problem with this rule is it punishes every other play that results in a stoppage in goal and/or the ball going dead. For example a player that gets their fingertips to the ball after a grubber but knocks on is punished with the other team getting a 7 tackle set.

In regards to this rule we should go down the Rugby Union route IMO. Go back to 6 tackle restarts from the point the ball was kicked to a minimum of the 20m line. So if you kick it dead form 40 out the opposition gets to start their set at the 40m line. This discourages the tactic whilst not overly penalising plays like a grubber that goes dead by a bees dick.
Yeah this is one of the rules union have right and it is perfect to stop the problem the 7 tackle rule change is supposed to prevent. Only problem is it would be a biiiiiig change that could have a significant impact on the game.
Charge downs should not be 6 again if the kicking team regathers. Why is the player who made the effort punished?
I don't know how anyone can disagree with this really.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Didn't the trainer stop the game for Welch but then he stayed on despite being concussed for a bit?

Smith going off for a hia after doing his shoulder. Luai getting knocked out but coming back on.

Joke

Didn't the trainer stop the game for Welch but then he stayed on despite being concussed for a bit?

Smith going off for a hia after doing his shoulder. Luai getting knocked out but coming back on.

Joke
Inaction in duty of care is we’re the game can fall prey to litigation whereas V’landys thinks binning guys for innocuous, accidental high shots will protect the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We can only hope with 2021 season nearly done and dusted Vlandys and co don’t have any more bright ideas during the off season!
with the six agains and sin bins reigned back in at least the finals havent been too bad.

We can only hope with 2021 season nearly done and dusted Vlandys and co don’t have any more bright ideas during the off season!
with the six agains and sin bins reigned back in at least the finals havent been too bad.
I would’ve thought that’s exactly where you’d want them to have their bright ideas. Gives time for smarter-cooler heads to reign them back in.

yobbo84

First Grade
I think I post enough on here for people to know I'm not a (completely, anyway) one-eyed whinger. However I think the GF, and other finals, highlighted exactly what is wrong with the new set restart rules.

Actually Brett Finch summed it up nicely in the Bloke In A Bar podcast:

"Penrith did is really well, and you know what, they did what Melbourne would have done, where they realised 'this bloke's not blowing penalties', let's just dominate the rucks ... So they go, 'who cares, we can be 10m offside, we're going to get 10 in the tackle, we're going to give a six again, we only have to make 1 extra tackle, but what we've aimed to do is win the ruck so we can make 10 extra tackles, they're not going to go anywhere, we've dominated the tackle, he's not blowing penalties for slowing the ruck down, and now we've won the tackle which what we're after and now we control the whole set'. And they did that brilliantly Penrith, they were superb."

This is not a knock on Penrith. They were superb in defence and their linespeed was nuts. You can only play to what the refs allow and full props to them for recognising this and being able to execute it for 80 mins. Souths also did it less successfully, and other teams throughout the finals too.

Finals being refereed completely differently to regular season games is another bugbear of mine, but it is known, and all clubs prepare for it.. that's a whole separate argument.

I do think though it shows what needs tweaking in the off season. Any offense on tackle 0 or 1 (kick reception, after turnovers, etc) should always be a full penalty. Either that, or anything inside your own 40m is a full penalty. Otherwise there is very little deterrent to the offending team.

Thoughts?

Someguy

First Grade
I think I post enough on here for people to know I'm not a (completely, anyway) one-eyed whinger. However I think the GF, and other finals, highlighted exactly what is wrong with the new set restart rules.

This is not a knock on Penrith. They were superb in defence and their linespeed was nuts. You can only play to what the refs allow and full props to them for recognising this and being able to execute it for 80 mins. Souths also did it less successfully, and other teams throughout the finals too.

Finals being refereed completely differently to regular season games is another bugbear of mine, but it is known, and all clubs prepare for it.. that's a whole separate argument.

I do think though it shows what needs tweaking in the off season. Any offense on tackle 0 or 1 (kick reception, after turnovers, etc) should always be a full penalty. Either that, or anything inside your own 40m is a full penalty. Otherwise there is very little deterrent to the offending team.

Thoughts?

in theory great idea but then we would just go back to teams like Souths being parachuted into the opponents half every possession.

soc123_au

Staff member

Thoughts?
I like it, but the issue is they aren't consistent with it. 2014 Souths was a classic example. They seemed to get a free pass out of trouble regularly when other teams didn't. To be fair consistency with most rules is an issue that they can't seem to fix.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tv needs to go to cameras like Sky at the potb so we can see the wide angle across the pitch to see just how far offside teams are these days. Either Panthers have 13 Usain Bolts in the team or they spent considerable time 2-3m offside they were so quickly up on the player receiving the ball from the potb all match. Makes you wonder how any tries were scored when it was only a 5m gap!