What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Preliminary Semifinal V Storm

ACTPanthers

Bench
After the loss on Sunday the last 2yrs are going feel so empty

cause what have yous really achieved ? Nothing

storm have already beaten your winning streak from last year

only thing you could brag about is the ref and bunker helped you cheat a cheap victory against the Eels ( the only side in the comp that have the storms number 2-0 would of been 3-0 against them this week )
I missed you Rhyno 😘

Kilkenny

Coach
TPJ must play big minutes. His off-loads along with Yeo's, creates 2nd phase play that the Storm don't enjoy. They play so well when you throw structure at them.
35 minutes instead of 25-30. I agree Ivan has used him somewhat sparingly. Need to throw caution to the wind in Saturday. Safe and conservative is unlikely to be enough.

only thing you could brag about is the ref and bunker helped you cheat a cheap victory against the Eels ( the only side in the comp that have the storms number 2-0 would of been 3-0 against them this week )
Guess who’s back, back again. Shady’s back, tell a friend…

Kilkenny

Coach
Who owns the Storm? I thought it was the same group that allegedly the Panthers are feeding stories too.
News Limited sold there stake / majority ownership of the Storm a few seasons back to a private equity group.

The current owners are business persons, previous Directors I think.

YoungPanther

Juniors

35 years and still counting

kyussian

Juniors
Regarding our clunky attack & needing to use TPJ more effectively reminded me of this moment in the weekend's game where he was held up over the line...

He naturally attracts defenders so will open up spaces in the defensive line which we failed to take advantage of here. Same has been said about Kikau's presence - with or without the ball.

Those who have mentioned using them together might not be too ludicrous. We're going to have to pull some tricks out of the bag against the most settled team in the comp so may as well try things like that!

1632368493181.png
1632370779702.png

Lot's of "if onlys" here (he should've gone straight instead of stepped, there should've been another support player on his outside) but it just goes to show how we dont seem to have the awareness or confidence we once had & how it's affecting our execution. It's also interesting how flat footed we seemed on that play - hardly any bodies in motion & perhaps guilty of "ball watching"? Fatigue also playing it's part but that's no excuse at this time of year because everyone is feeling it!

The one play which I absolutely loved from 2020 but dont seem to be using anymore is this one vs Sharks mid year -
1632368029712.png
1632368147624.png
1632378493715.png

Simple but so effective. Bodies in motion. Everyone aware & knowing their role. Options on both sides. Precision execution. The Storm have plenty of these style of plays which helps when you have an attacking dummy half & threatening fullback. For me it's Api who needs to step up if we're going to make it to the GF.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

and where is 'YOUR' team at the moment ?

My bet is they're packing away from Mad Monday.......POQandDCB. That's my advice.

WestyLife

First Grade
Regarding our clunky attack & needing to use TPJ more effectively reminded me of this moment in the weekend's game where he was held up over the line...

He naturally attracts defenders so will open up spaces in the defensive line which we failed to take advantage of here. Same has been said about Kikau's presence - with or without the ball.

Those who have mentioned using them together might not be too ludicrous. We're going to have to pull some tricks out of the bag against the most settled team in the comp so may as well try things like that!

View attachment 54265
View attachment 54266

Lot's of "if onlys" here (he should've gone straight instead of stepped, there should've been another support player on his outside) but it just goes to show how we dont seem to have the awareness or confidence we once had & how it's affecting our execution. It's also interesting how flat footed we seemed on that play - hardly any bodies in motion & perhaps guilty of "ball watching"? Fatigue also playing it's part but that's no excuse at this time of year because everyone is feeling it!

The one play which I absolutely loved from 2020 but dont seem to be using anymore is this one vs Sharks mid year -
View attachment 54263
View attachment 54264
View attachment 54269

Simple but so effective. Bodies in motion. Everyone aware & knowing their role. Options on both sides. Precision execution. The Storm have plenty of these style of plays which helps when you have an attacking dummy half & threatening fullback. For me it's Api who needs to step up if we're going to make it to the GF.

All that stuff is gone unfortunately.

Kilkenny

Coach

I think you’ll find, if you do a little research, our game against the Storm is on Saturday with a 4pm kick off.

If the result doesn’t go our way, I like many others will be disappointed, but I’ll be able to live with it.

Yes I probably will have an empty feeling I guess, but it won’t detract from another highly successful season where we have achieved lots not least being 7 or so SOO representatives and only three losses in a 24 game regular season. They are achievements in themselves, something to be proud of.

The game against your team, was a terrific game of footy, one of the best of 2021, where too often most games were blowouts one way or the other. No contests in 90% of games across the season. Sadly the media and fan spin around the game was largely about referee or bunker decisions which is a shame. We deserved our narrow win on balance, more try scoring opportunities even if our execution remained less than what it should or needs to.

Anyway we are in the PF, the Eels are not, we have a shot at making the GF at the very least. Fingers crossed.

I’m much less nervous about this game than the Rabbits game. Maybe it was because in that game we were unbackable favourites and for this one we can’t buy a friend (which after years of supporting the Panthers I am much more conditioned to) but I am looking forward to Saturday in a way I haven’t looked forward to too many games this season.

I am confident if we play like we did against Parra (who played very well with great intensity) we can roll the Storm. But even if we don’t, I am looking forward to playing the other team in the comp I would consider in the top tier alongside us, and hoping for a cracking game of footy.

murraymob

First Grade

The reason the aboriginals names your area parramatta because it’s a place where eels lie down .not sure they meant laying down for 36 years .ask your mum when they last won before your bed time

mxlegend99

Referee

We achieved an awesome 3 nil record over Eels and ended their season. That's a good year by any standards.

maple_69

Bench
I’m much less nervous about this game than the Rabbits game. Maybe it was because in that game we were unbackable favourites and for this one we can’t buy a friend (which after years of supporting the Panthers I am much more conditioned to) but I am looking forward to Saturday in a way I haven’t looked forward to too many games this season.

I am confident if we play like we did against Parra (who played very well with great intensity) we can roll the Storm. But even if we don’t, I am looking forward to playing the other team in the comp I would consider in the top tier alongside us, and hoping for a cracking game of footy.
The satisfaction if our blokes pull it off will be phenomenal. Particularly given the mud being hurled, the injuries and form, the revenge for last year factor.

This game feels a lot like our 2014 qualifier vs the Chooks that Soward pulled out of his ass. We were no chance against an old rival but had a committed group of blokes that just would not quit and in the end just wanted it more. Sweetest feeling as a Penrith fan being in the stands for that game hugging strangers and crying. This will undoubtedly top it.

GongPanther

Referee

I am supremely confident of a Panthers win. I know that the team are raring to go, and Cleary's staff can get us to another grand final.

The_Frog

First Grade
We achieved an awesome 3 nil record over Eels and ended their season. That's a good year by any standards.
For the first time in history.

Teams We've Beat 3 Times in a Season:

Parramatta 2021
NZ Warriors 2003
Bulldogs 1997
Broncos 1990
Manly 1985

Last edited:

We achieved something alright! We’re the only team to have beaten Parra 3 times this year!

Love ya Rhyno. At least you’ve hated the Panthers long before it became the cool thing to do!

Latest posts