What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Preliminary Semifinal V Storm

The Realist

Juniors
There is just so much to unpack in this game.

We still aren't that close to our pre-origin best with the ball in hand - our execution is still off and from the 50-70 minute mark we were guilty of going back into our shell and playing not to lose.

But to compensate our already excellent defence has gone up to another level.

Guys like Capewell, Martin and even Kikau who were all down on form all stood up. Martin in particular surprised me with his improvement. Kikau kept his lazinesses and brain explosions to a minimium and Capewell was absolutely enormous in defence.

Momo is definitely a crack, edging toward an Elite level defender which is very important for a Right centre as you will be defending the oppositions usually highly dominant left side.

Critta is definitely an Elite defender. He stops even the most potent attacking weapons DEAD. His work on Olam was next level. He also got much more involved this week when compared to his last 2-3 games.

Cleary despite his awesome try assist is still off his game with ball in hand but gosh it is useful having a halfback who is an elite defender. He doesn't need help or a body guard like many halves do. He can take down even rampaging 2nd rowers 1 on 1. I think he is the best defensive half I have ever seen.

Luai was still not quite there but he has definitely improved. A bit like Cleary he is also a highly competent defender for a half.

Yeo was immense as usual and Api definitely stepped it up which honestly relieves the pressure on Cleary and Luai.

Yes I am guilty of 'hating' on Edwards. He had an excellent defensive game. I'd still prefer it if he didn't have his 1-2 a game brain snap(s) though. Running it into the teeth of the defence when we had a clear overlap was almost inexcusable. You could literally see his hesitation and fear in passing it. Still though he was often exactly where he was needed off the ball - great first contact on the Pap saved a try (along with Critta and Capes).

Our Front rowers did enough to match it with the Storm. Fish improved somewhat and TPJ keeps getting better for us. Leniu injection was great - reversed some of the Storms momentum and of course Sorensons Iron Will in that Sattleresque chase was just something else.

I think the game was summed up by the scenes just after the full time whistle. A bunch of the Melbourne players looked liked they'd gone 12 rounds with a heavyweight. Hughes face was shredded and Munster looked battered.

Overall so happy with the performance. I had little expectation going into the game - I just hoped that we'd compete well and boy did they what!

WestyLife

First Grade
It is the whole right side though.
Capewell made a break never looked like passing a few other occasions this year for example the Broncs game. Staines unmarked and Capewell takes the tackle. An edge forward straighting up, drawing and passing will give space and time to the right centre.

Edwards too likes the right side, seems to have the quick tap on or take the tackle

I can't remember any tries scored on the right being basic tries. Either kicks or something crazy like a flick pass or something. Is the next thing needing to evolve

Something something Prodigal son.

kyussian

Juniors
Hard to hate on Momirovski when we're winning on defence and he's a great defender.
Agree it's hard to hate on Momo because he has solidified the backline plus he made some tough carries out of trouble however I'm not as convinced with him defensively or see him as a better defensive option over Crichton at centre.

I'm pretty sure Olam made a couple of half breaks on him (granted most centres struggle against him so to be fair on Momo I was probably on the lookout!). If anyone has seen the replay or trusts their memory better than me, they can confirm or deny. Think there was one towards the end of the game where Crichton actually stopped Olam & put him on his back while they were deep in attack.

DinkyDi

Juniors
My thoughts:

1. The unity of this team is evident. After Crichton's try, the players, who were not apart of the side, were included in the embrace. The players were: Staines, Hopgood, Smith and Salmon.

2. Our defense speaks for it's self.

3. The origin experiences helped this year.

4. The spanking that James Fisher-Harris gave Munster was hilarious. I realize that video was edited, however, my sentiments are still the same.

5. The spray that JPJ gave Welch was a beauty.

6. Welch keeps on making claims that he is out to make Cleary's life difficult, that did not happen.

7. The tackle that Sorenson made on Hughes was fantastic.

8. We faced the Storm three times this year. Our record is two wins, and one loss. The second win, ended their season.

9. We faced the Eels three times. We won all three, and also ended their season.

10. We face the Rabbitohs, for the fourth time this year. We have two victories, and one loss. Hopefully, we will win the game that matters. I honestly think we will.

Bring on Sunday.

Last edited:

MrBlack

Juniors
Kikau has been massive in defence these semi finals. It goes mostly unnoticed because we all want the kikau that breaks tackles not the one that makes them. And playing big minutes as well. Mark it. We will miss him if he moves on.

hindy111

Post Whore
My thoughts:

1. The unity of this team is evident. After Crichton's try, the players, who were not apart of the side, were included in the embrace. The players were: Staines, Hopgood, Smith and Salmon.

2. Our defense speaks for it's self.

3. The spanking that James Fisher-Harris gave Munster was hilarious.

4. The spray that JPJ gave Welch was a beauty.

5. Welch keeps on making claims that he is out to make Cleary's life difficult, that did not happen.

6. The tackle that Sorenson made on Hughes was fantastic.

7. We faced the Storm three times this year. Our record is two wins, and one loss. The second win, ended their season.

8. We faced the Eels three times. We won all three, and also ended their season.

9. We face the Rabbitohs, for the fourth time this year. We have two victories, and one loss. Hopefully, we will win the game that matters. I honestly think we will.

Bring on Sunday.

As an Eels fan losing to you guys is no shame. We performed great and even with the losses where two of my favourite games of the year to view.
*Moses nails a kick we win.
*No hooker in our finals game and a heap of harsh calls. And not a lot of luck.

3 points separated 2 x wins. The other game was a trial. The battle of the West this year was brilliant and now I hope you take home the main prize.

John Hamblin

Juniors
There is just so much to unpack in this game.

We still aren't that close to our pre-origin best with the ball in hand - our execution is still off and from the 50-70 minute mark we were guilty of going back into our shell and playing not to lose.

But to compensate our already excellent defence has gone up to another level.

Guys like Capewell, Martin and even Kikau who were all down on form all stood up. Martin in particular surprised me with his improvement. Kikau kept his lazinesses and brain explosions to a minimium and Capewell was absolutely enormous in defence.

Momo is definitely a crack, edging toward an Elite level defender which is very important for a Right centre as you will be defending the oppositions usually highly dominant left side.

Critta is definitely an Elite defender. He stops even the most potent attacking weapons DEAD. His work on Olam was next level. He also got much more involved this week when compared to his last 2-3 games.

Cleary despite his awesome try assist is still off his game with ball in hand but gosh it is useful having a halfback who is an elite defender. He doesn't need help or a body guard like many halves do. He can take down even rampaging 2nd rowers 1 on 1. I think he is the best defensive half I have ever seen.

Luai was still not quite there but he has definitely improved. A bit like Cleary he is also a highly competent defender for a half.

Yeo was immense as usual and Api definitely stepped it up which honestly relieves the pressure on Cleary and Luai.

Yes I am guilty of 'hating' on Edwards. He had an excellent defensive game. I'd still prefer it if he didn't have his 1-2 a game brain snap(s) though. Running it into the teeth of the defence when we had a clear overlap was almost inexcusable. You could literally see his hesitation and fear in passing it. Still though he was often exactly where he was needed off the ball - great first contact on the Pap saved a try (along with Critta and Capes).

Our Front rowers did enough to match it with the Storm. Fish improved somewhat and TPJ keeps getting better for us. Leniu injection was great - reversed some of the Storms momentum and of course Sorensons Iron Will in that Sattleresque chase was just something else.

I think the game was summed up by the scenes just after the full time whistle. A bunch of the Melbourne players looked liked they'd gone 12 rounds with a heavyweight. Hughes face was shredded and Munster looked battered.

Overall so happy with the performance. I had little expectation going into the game - I just hoped that we'd compete well and boy did they what!
I agree that Nathans defence is elite but is it better than Craig Gower I'm not sure lets say its a dead heat!!

DinkyDi

Juniors
As an Eels fan losing to you guys is no shame. We performed great and even with the losses where two of my favourite games of the year to view.
*Moses nails a kick we win.
*No hooker in our finals game and a heap of harsh calls. And not a lot of luck.

3 points separated 2 x wins. The other game was a trial. The battle of the West this year was brilliant and now I hope you take home the main prize.
What irked me is the claims that the Panthers "cheated". Also, did you notice that Welch was still on the field, when the game was stopped? He only came off due to the independent doctor. Nothing was done about that.

Iamback

Coach
Agree it's hard to hate on Momo because he has solidified the backline plus he made some tough carries out of trouble however I'm not as convinced with him defensively or see him as a better defensive option over Crichton at centre.

I'm pretty sure Olam made a couple of half breaks on him (granted most centres struggle against him so to be fair on Momo I was probably on the lookout!). If anyone has seen the replay or trusts their memory better than me, they can confirm or deny. Think there was one towards the end of the game where Crichton actually stopped Olam & put him on his back while they were deep in attack.

The thing with Momo in. It became clear 4 weeks out from the finals that we were going to run out of time to get the top 17 match fitness. So the call to pick defensive team was huge

We've gotten through the toughest games of the season with Burton being very quiet. I would have loved to keep as I think he'd be an atg at this club, but he's hardly been essential to this point.

Capewell is a bit different. He's drifted in an out of form too but when the chips were down yesterday he stood up big time.
Capewell was awesome yesterday.

Even his drop showed he should have stayed with us; is there a more 'Panther' play than dropping the ball, cold, while playing it when you are up by 4 with 3 minutes left?

Last edited:

martielang

Bench

Olam definitely beat him a couple of times (no shame in that) but Momo does enough to slow him down and others cover. His positioning and reads in defence are exceptional, even if he does technically miss a tackle or two.

His tough carries are downplayed. Huge work rate, Always tackle one or two right into the teeth of the defence and rarely gets pushed back.

What irked me is the claims that the Panthers "cheated". Also, did you notice that Welch was still on the field, when the game was stopped? He only came off due to the independent doctor. Nothing was done about that.
I must admit i thought that both Luai (in particular) and Cleary were lucky not to fail HIAs.

hindy111

Post Whore

Against Eels? They bent the rules. But Parra still had atleast 3 x sets on Penriths line in that last 7mins and couldn't score. Unsure if one more set makes f**k all difference tbh. Yes it may of. Yes we could of scored. But with a minute to go and a full set Jnr dropped it on 2md tackle 1 mtr out. We had our chance and blew it.