What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Pre-Season

Rabbits20

Immortal
Latrell Mitchell gives South Sydney fans reason to smile — check out all the latest NRL chatter and more in What’s the Buzz.

James Phelps

January 2, 2021 - 6:00PM

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Latrell Mitchell will be at full-flight for the rest of the NRL pre-season with the Rabbitohs’ superstar cleared to return to full training.

His debut season for Souths was ruined by a hamstring injury last August, but Mitchell has made a full recovery and returns to non-restricted training next week.

He will continue his quest to be a fullback, with the ex-Test centre still intent on making the No.1 jersey his own.

Coach Wayne Bennett resisted calls to move the powerhouse back to the centres last year in a show of faith rewarded by a string of top-shelf performances prior to his season-ending injury.

Latrell Mitchell has made a full recovery from a hamstring injury. Picture. Phil Hillyard1280×720

Latrell Mitchell has made a full recovery from a hamstring injury. Picture. Phil Hillyard

callmack1

Staff member
Latrell Mitchell cleared to make full return from hamstring injury: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/latrel...g-injury/9aac690e-58b5-4400-9ef4-e2cead6bff9e

God, this is absolutely fantastic news!!! Puts a big smile on my face as it's so much earlier than we all expected. This is a testiment to Latrell and all his hard work, and it bodes very well for the look of our 2021 campaign.

On another note, I believe the boys are back at training tomorrow aren't they?

callmack1

Staff member
Training report from Jed off another forum

Went for a look at today’s session, it turned out to be one of the longer sessions we’ve seen, about two and a half hours on-field.

Corey Allan, Damien Cook and Gagai were absent.

Was impressed with the body shapes on all of the players, they look leaner than last year. Only exceptions were Latrell and Steven Masters.

There were a couple of players there I didn’t recognise, probably some of the younger crew. A smaller classy backline type player, dark skin, looks promising.

Jason Dimitriou was hunting them around hard all session, loves a swear, Bennett out back grabbing guys for one on ones constantly.

Latrell looks great, besides the minor chubbiness and never seen him enjoying himself so much. Fitness levels good, all his trick shots and touch on song.

Player that took my eye most today, in the way Sironen did last off season was Jed Cartwright, looks ready to go to another level although looked to me to finish the session with a minor leg or groin injury, walked off with Eddie Farah.

Cody had a knee strapped but managed the whole session.

The young trio of Ilias, Taaffe and D.Cook always great to watch, such promise and confidence.

Su’a like an ever-lurking shark with that shoulder, he put on three little beauties during the session, just can’t help himself.

Milne looks close to full speed, Moga’s fitted in nicely, though wore on of Su’a’s hits and Tatola and Host did the whole session on the punching mits. I reckon Junior could be a dark-horse if you slipped him into one of those league boxing nights.

Edit. The young guy that took my eye is Terrell Kalokalo apparently, geez only 17 years old.

callmack1

Staff member
Another Training Report from Tass on the same forum.

I went to Redfern this morning as well and I agree with Jed, the players all trained well and are looking fit.
Some great long passes from Latrell although one of his cut out passes were intercepted, but still early in the year. Seeing him train was a good reminder of how much of a hundred steps up he is to Allan or any other fullback.

I noticed the green shirts were given to the likely start up players. Nicholls was not in one but trained well with the reds.

Moga was in green so they certainly see him as a starter and he moved well with pace. He is a huge body and looks hard to tackle. Milne is massive as well. Right now they look fit and will be ready to go by March. I have no problem if Moga was in the centres.

Jacob Host is taller and bigger than I thought and will be in the mix for first grade. I am pretty sure Tom Amone was there in a lighter shirt than everyone else and was not part of everything the teams did. Maybe needs to catch up with fitness.

Overall this team has premiership contention written all over it.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Stat to Fix - Slow starts: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/12/rabbitohs-stat-to-fix-slow-starts/

Gotta admit this isn't really something I've thought about before but now that it's come to light, it seems obvious haha. So many games last year we'd concede first and/or start slow. Certainly needs to change this year, we can't be playing catch up Footy to start a game all the time if we want to be a genuine Premiership threat.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Rabbitohs Stat to Fix - Slow starts: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/12/rabbitohs-stat-to-fix-slow-starts/

Gotta admit this isn't really something I've thought about before but now that it's come to light, it seems obvious haha. So many games last year we'd concede first and/or start slow. Certainly needs to change this year, we can't be playing catch up Footy to start a game all the time if we want to be a genuine Premiership threat.
Agree and we need to improve our defence!

Robbie 12

Juniors
Hi guys
Great photos
just wanted to know when is the best day during week to see the players training,

the kids would love to see them run around and train, if someone know what days they train or they can personal message me that would be great .....