What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

callmack1

Staff member
NRL players 'walking on eggshells' with Queensland Government over COVID breaches: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/queens...ggshells/afeb4b6a-0a20-411d-aea3-354861d4ed7f

Broncos in danger of losing another young gun: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/78697f78685f81ef1efd3ab4267e73b7

If I was Souths recruitment management, I'd be having a good look at Niu. Young, powerful with good skill and not a bad defender. Seen as a long term centre too. I'd be pretty keen at a good price!

From Sporting News,

Laurie Daley raises eyebrows over Rabbitohs' play for Anthony Milford

Laurie Daley has raised eyebrows at the Rabbitohs showing an interest in unwanted Broncos playmaker Anthony Milford to partner Cody Walker in the halves next season.

With Adam Reynolds joining the Broncos next year, plus doubts around whether veteran Benji Marshall will play on, there are questions around the Rabbitohs' halves stocks heading into season 2022.

Milford will leave the Broncos after a tumultuous seven-year stay at Red Hill that has seen his stocks plummet dramatically amidst struggles for form and the weight of expectations around his $1 million contract.

While he's leaving the club at the end of the year to hand the coaching reins onto assistant Jason Demetriou, Wayne Bennett has urged the Rabbitohs to throw Milford a lifeline next season.

Bennett coached Milford into career-best form at Brisbane and has claimed the 27-year-old will return to being a top-tier player in the right club environment.

However, Daley refuted Bennett's belief that Milford would be a strong fit in South Sydney's halves alongside Walker, who he believes needs a steady head alongside him to thrive.

"I don't know whether Milford and Cody would be the best combination," Daley said on Big Sports Breakfast.

"I think Cody works better when he's got that dominant playmaker in front of him. It just frees Cody up to play both sides and do his own thing

"I think it would stifle [Walker] a little bit if you gave him the dominant No. 7 role, but that's for South Sydney to work out. They might have a different style under Jason Demetriou rather than a Wayne Bennett.

"But I wouldn't be tinkering too much with what Cody's been able to do at the moment."

While an offer isn't yet on the table for Milford from the Rabbitohs, Nine reporter Danny Weidler revealed their interest was genuine.

Parramatta also considered pursuing the two-time Queensland Origin player, before that interest was ruled out by Brad Arthur, while the Titans are another club to have reportedly discussed Milford.

"I'm hearing that South Sydney are really considering making a play for [Milford]," Weidler said.

"It's been bubbling in the background now for a little while. I think the Gold Coast have some interest as well.

"But Souths may be a little bit skinny in the halves next year, obviously Adam Reynolds is going, I don't know that Benji is going to go again. I'd be a little bit surprised if he went another year.

"They may say Milford as some sort of back-up."

Jim Rockford

Bench
It really feels like those in charge of who we keep and who we chase are making it up as they go along. Makes us look very,very amateurish.

callmack1

Staff member
Bit of news on Burnsy,

Gotta keep Burnsy now, can't let him go too. I still rate him when he's fully fit and as we saw at the start of 2019, if he can stay injury free, get a full Pre-Season in and really nail down a regular spot on our left, I believe he could be anything.

After signing new coach Craig Fitzgibbon, the Sharks have also nailed down high-profile recruits Dale Finucane, Cam McInnes and Nicho Hynes.

Could South Sydney’s Braidon Burns be next?

Burns, 25, comes off contract at Redfern after this season and has been targeted by the Sharks. Souths are keen to retain Burns and talks between his manager Allan Gainey and club officials are set to accelerate this week after fellow centre Dane Gagai joined Newcastle.

“Braidon’s first preference would be to stay but he really has to look at where the best opportunity is for him to play regular first grade,” Gainey said. “Because he is a genuine, week-in, week-out, first grader.

“There was a genuine interest in a centre (at Cronulla) and his name was mentioned. I will follow that up. I don’t know how Cronulla’s dollars are right now because they have spent a bit in the last week. We will follow it through if required. Braidon lives in Cronulla.”

Gainey said Burns has returned strongly after his career was stalled and disrupted by several significant injuries.

Rabbitohs coach-in-waiting, Jason Demetriou, is known to be a fan of Burns, who is immensely popular at Souths. Burns played well in last weekend’s big win over the Warriors.

“Braidon is now injury-free and is really starting to hit his straps,” Gainey said. “He has been a bit starved of footy but that is only natural given the team Souths have at the moment.

“It was always on the basis that we would talk more seriously when we knew what Gagai was doing because I think Braidon’s best position is centre. There isn’t any urgency but it is one that needs to be put away.”

South Sydney chief executive Blake Solly is hopeful a deal can be struck with Burns.

“Braidon has been with us for five seasons now and has impressed everyone at the club with his character, humility and tenacity to recover from a number of serious injuries,” Solly said.

“It has been great to see him getting regular NRL football over the last few weeks and we will get an opportunity to discuss his future with Al (Gainey) in the coming weeks”.

Gainey is hoping to secure Burns a two-year contract.

“Hopefully he is through all those injury problems he had,” Gainey said. “Among those was a dislocated knee cap. That was just bad luck.”

Travitoh

First Grade
Bit of news on Burnsy,

Gotta keep Burnsy now, can't let him go too. I still rate him when he's fully fit and as we saw at the start of 2019, if he can stay injury free, get a full Pre-Season in and really nail down a regular spot on our left, I believe he could be anything.

After signing new coach Craig Fitzgibbon, the Sharks have also nailed down high-profile recruits Dale Finucane, Cam McInnes and Nicho Hynes.

Could South Sydney’s Braidon Burns be next?

Burns, 25, comes off contract at Redfern after this season and has been targeted by the Sharks. Souths are keen to retain Burns and talks between his manager Allan Gainey and club officials are set to accelerate this week after fellow centre Dane Gagai joined Newcastle.

“Braidon’s first preference would be to stay but he really has to look at where the best opportunity is for him to play regular first grade,” Gainey said. “Because he is a genuine, week-in, week-out, first grader.

“There was a genuine interest in a centre (at Cronulla) and his name was mentioned. I will follow that up. I don’t know how Cronulla’s dollars are right now because they have spent a bit in the last week. We will follow it through if required. Braidon lives in Cronulla.”

Gainey said Burns has returned strongly after his career was stalled and disrupted by several significant injuries.

Rabbitohs coach-in-waiting, Jason Demetriou, is known to be a fan of Burns, who is immensely popular at Souths. Burns played well in last weekend’s big win over the Warriors.

“Braidon is now injury-free and is really starting to hit his straps,” Gainey said. “He has been a bit starved of footy but that is only natural given the team Souths have at the moment.

“It was always on the basis that we would talk more seriously when we knew what Gagai was doing because I think Braidon’s best position is centre. There isn’t any urgency but it is one that needs to be put away.”

South Sydney chief executive Blake Solly is hopeful a deal can be struck with Burns.

“Braidon has been with us for five seasons now and has impressed everyone at the club with his character, humility and tenacity to recover from a number of serious injuries,” Solly said.

“It has been great to see him getting regular NRL football over the last few weeks and we will get an opportunity to discuss his future with Al (Gainey) in the coming weeks”.

Gainey is hoping to secure Burns a two-year contract.

“Hopefully he is through all those injury problems he had,” Gainey said. “Among those was a dislocated knee cap. That was just bad luck.”

I like Tesi Niu but he'll be in demand and won't come cheap. I'd also be surprised if Brisbane didn't make a big play for him to stay.

Good news about Braidon Burns. I really like him as a player and believe that he is very capable of slotting into that left centre spot that Gagai will leave. He'll be playing NRL next season, the only question is where?

handyman2190

Bench
I like Tesi Niu but he'll be in demand and won't come cheap. I'd also be surprised if Brisbane didn't make a big play for him to stay.

Good news about Braidon Burns. I really like him as a player and believe that he is very capable of slotting into that left centre spot that Gagai will leave. He'll be playing NRL next season, the only question is where?
His only problem is is handling

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
NRL players 'walking on eggshells' with Queensland Government over COVID breaches: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/queens...ggshells/afeb4b6a-0a20-411d-aea3-354861d4ed7f

Broncos in danger of losing another young gun: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/78697f78685f81ef1efd3ab4267e73b7

If I was Souths recruitment management, I'd be having a good look at Niu. Young, powerful with good skill and not a bad defender. Seen as a long term centre too. I'd be pretty keen at a good price!

From Sporting News,

Laurie Daley raises eyebrows over Rabbitohs' play for Anthony Milford

Laurie Daley has raised eyebrows at the Rabbitohs showing an interest in unwanted Broncos playmaker Anthony Milford to partner Cody Walker in the halves next season.

With Adam Reynolds joining the Broncos next year, plus doubts around whether veteran Benji Marshall will play on, there are questions around the Rabbitohs' halves stocks heading into season 2022.

Milford will leave the Broncos after a tumultuous seven-year stay at Red Hill that has seen his stocks plummet dramatically amidst struggles for form and the weight of expectations around his $1 million contract.

While he's leaving the club at the end of the year to hand the coaching reins onto assistant Jason Demetriou, Wayne Bennett has urged the Rabbitohs to throw Milford a lifeline next season.

Bennett coached Milford into career-best form at Brisbane and has claimed the 27-year-old will return to being a top-tier player in the right club environment.

However, Daley refuted Bennett's belief that Milford would be a strong fit in South Sydney's halves alongside Walker, who he believes needs a steady head alongside him to thrive.

"I don't know whether Milford and Cody would be the best combination," Daley said on Big Sports Breakfast.

"I think Cody works better when he's got that dominant playmaker in front of him. It just frees Cody up to play both sides and do his own thing

"I think it would stifle [Walker] a little bit if you gave him the dominant No. 7 role, but that's for South Sydney to work out. They might have a different style under Jason Demetriou rather than a Wayne Bennett.

"But I wouldn't be tinkering too much with what Cody's been able to do at the moment."

While an offer isn't yet on the table for Milford from the Rabbitohs, Nine reporter Danny Weidler revealed their interest was genuine.

Parramatta also considered pursuing the two-time Queensland Origin player, before that interest was ruled out by Brad Arthur, while the Titans are another club to have reportedly discussed Milford.

"I'm hearing that South Sydney are really considering making a play for [Milford]," Weidler said.

"It's been bubbling in the background now for a little while. I think the Gold Coast have some interest as well.

"But Souths may be a little bit skinny in the halves next year, obviously Adam Reynolds is going, I don't know that Benji is going to go again. I'd be a little bit surprised if he went another year.

"They may say Milford as some sort of back-up."
I heard this interview this morning on 2KY and Daley is right, it would be a terrible fit, and a terrible signing.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Yeah, I hope we make a play for Niu but we gonna have competition from clubs prepared to pay overs. If the Roosters lose Manu, look to them to make a play as well.

I'd rather try and get Niu to start in Gagai's place, let Burns go - he is a time bomb waiting to blow up, and tell Milford to F...off

assess5

Juniors
It really feels like those in charge of who we keep and who we chase are making it up as they go along. Makes us look very,very amateurish.
I can not understand why Souths would let a proven star like Reynolds leave with out a whimper, then turn around and chase this loser this guy (Milford) who only ever played well when the stars around him made him look good. Milford has had two seasons at the Broncos to make an impact by pulling players together, like his impressive forward pack, and improving the teams playing performance.
We can all see how his efforts/impact on the team performances have been realized.

'It's starting to sound like Souths have signed Milford for 2 years.' by Southport.

If the above is true, they've signed Milford, Souths can get ficked for mine. I've seen some bullshit but that takes the cake.