What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

Rabbits20

Immortal
Reported by who? The media don't know they are only guessing, the real figure for Reyno is said to be closer to $1m which surprised everyone, on top of that Mago, Burns, Su'a and some others are departing as well of course some others are stepping up.
I’m with Handy on this after all the upgrades and retaining youngsters I don’t think we have a big amount of cap spare.

I think Chee Kam and Havili are coming and they’ll be minimum wage.

Re Lomax if he does leave St Merge I think it’d be to go to the Roosters unfortunately.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Reyno was on 750,gags on 700k but as botany B and B showed we have cap problems it was reported we only had 2m for 10 players, so we saved the 700k we offered AR and the 450k we offered gags,350k from sua, mago 150k
But we upgrade the goat, 250 for milf, so im not sure whats left but you have to admit,were not real active in the player market,which im disapointed about,but ,it is what it is
Correct, well summarised.
I'm not sure about MILF's money, I haven't seen anywhere where it was printed what we were paying the Broncos, hope we didn't get dudded, although we may be getting a refund, courtesy of Andrew Abdo

Last edited:

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Reported by who? The media don't know they are only guessing, the real figure for Reyno is said to be closer to $1m which surprised everyone, on top of that Mago, Burns, Su'a and some others are departing as well of course some others are stepping up.
Reynolds was getting 760K it was in the list of the top 100 players printed last season.

This article confirms it, and says what he was offered by the Broncos

These articles suggest the ball park figure:

The figure I heard was 2.2mil/3 years, and Cronulla had offered 2.4mil but had initially low-balled him, so he said no to them.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I’m with Handy on this after all the upgrades and retaining youngsters I don’t think we have a big amount of cap spare.

I think Chee Kam and Havili are coming and they’ll be minimum wage.

Re Lomax if he does leave St Merge I think it’d be to go to the Roosters unfortunately.
There's gotta be a point where the Rorters reach the cap limit, they can't keep signing all these players and still be under the cap to sign more players.

And they gotta keep spare money put aside for an eventual Sam Walker contract upgrade, which is going to be a BIG upgrade.

Ikonic

Juniors
There's gotta be a point where the Rorters reach the cap limit, they can't keep signing all these players and still be under the cap to sign more players.

And they gotta keep spare money put aside for an eventual Sam Walker contract upgrade, which is going to be a BIG upgrade.
Not sticking up for them but Cordner, Friend Jmoz & Bmoz have retired
Liu has left
Ikavalu hasn’t been resigned

In saying that they have resigned a few players
But we all know Uncle Nick knows how to work with his $$

Rabbits20

Immortal
Andrew Webster
Chief Sports Writer
SMH
September 23, 2021 — 3.45pm

Whether it’s this weekend or next, the so-called “premiership window” for South Sydney is about to be snapped shut as coach Wayne Bennett and captain Adam Reynolds edge closer to their departures.

Clubs usually shuffle along ageing players when they’re not performing and offer short contracts to coaches when they have little faith in them.

The Rabbitohs are pushing Reynolds out while still one of the game’s premier halfbacks and gave Bennett a three-year deadline to win the competition when he signed with them in late 2018.

If a premiership doesn’t materialise over the next 10 days, starting with Friday night’s preliminary final against Manly at Suncorp Stadium, fans have every right to ask: “Why the rush?”

It’s still fresh in everyone’s memory how Souths refused Reynolds’ request for a two-year extension. After almost every Rabbitohs match this year, a former player sitting on a panel has questioned the decision to move him on.

Behind the scenes, certain powerbrokers continue to spin the line that his body is breaking down.

Reynolds has played 23 matches, is second behind Manly’s Reuben Garrick for points scored (256) and goals kicked (116) and made 324 tackles with an efficiency rate of 89 per cent.

Not bad for a broken-down old footballer. I know some young footballers who’d like to be that broken down.

Publicly, Souths claimed they were adhering to their new contracting policy of signing players 30 years or older on one-year deals.

Reynolds, who turned 31 in July, wanted two more seasons, but Souths weren’t budging on their one-year offer.

Then you learn 31-year-old forward Mark Nicholls is about to sign a two-year extension.

Sure, it’s for a fraction of the $650,000 a season Reynolds had wanted, but a policy is a policy, especially when you use that policy to justify getting rid of a favourite son like Reynolds, who chairman Nick Pappas unfairly painted as money-hungry during ugly contract negotiations a few months ago.

“It’s confusing,” Reynolds’s long-time manager, Steve Gillis, who is rarely confused, said.

What isn’t commonly known is how Souths also boxed themselves into a corner with Bennett, locking him into a three-year deal with no wiggle room when he joined them in late 2018.

Former head of football Shane Richardson told News Corp earlier this week that co-owner Russell Crowe and Pappas were reluctant to sign Bennett as a replacement for Anthony Seibold, who was Broncos-bound.

Bennett had left Souths floundering in late 2011 when he gave every indication he’d be joining them, only to sign an enormous deal with mining magnate Nathan Tinkler’s Newcastle Knights at the 11th hour.

Understandably, many at Souths were wary about being left without a prom date for a second time.

Richardson convinced Crowe and Pappas to sign the veteran coach, although there was debate about the terms. It’s been suggested to this column that Pappas wanted a short-term deal with a successor also appointed. A two-year deal was put forward before it was pushed out to three.

Several candidates were interviewed to be Bennett’s successor before his right-hand man at Brisbane, Jason Demetriou, was identified as the man to replace him 2022.

Pappas would not speak on the record when contacted on Thursday while Crowe didn’t respond to requests for comment. In true rugby league style, there are several versions of the truth getting tossed about.

What’s certain is, for the past 18 months, Crowe has desperately tried to change the deal. He has faith in Demetriou as the long-term coaching option but simply doesn’t want Bennett to leave.

Instead, Bennett will go home to Brisbane for family reasons before taking control of the second Brisbane team, Reynolds will join the Broncos on megabucks and Demetriou will be left plugging holes with youngsters Blake Taaffe and Lachlan Ilias and – maybe– Anthony Milford.

Souths also lose Queensland Origin stars Dane Gagai (Knights) and Jaydn Su’A (Dragons) next season.

Nothing lasts forever. Because of the salary cap, clubs have a tricky job of keeping one eye on the present as well as the future.

Maybe Souths will remain a premiership force next year without Bennett and Reynolds. Maybe they can get it done in the next 10 days.

They are one of the best run clubs in the NRL, having reached the preliminary finals in four consecutive seasons under two coaches.

But when experienced halfbacks are so hard to find, and the greatest coach in history only darkens so many doors, why shuffle them along?

The window’s about to shut, premiership or not.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Cmon guys come into the Souths and Manly prelim thread apart from me and Callmack it is really quiet. Let’s worry about next year after the season is over for now let’s focus all our energy into tomorrow. Callmack and I are fired up and raring to go but we need help. Let’s show LU that we are the most passionate supporter base as right now the game week thread is owe so quiet you wouldn’t know their is an enormous game on tomorrow. All that matters now is triumphing come the 80th min tomorrow.

GLORY GLORY FFFIIIIRRREEEEEEE UUUUUPPPPPPPPP

SOUTH SYDNEY MARCHES ON

RRRAAAABBBBBIIITTTTOOOHHHSSS

RRRRAAABBBBBBIIITTTOOOOHHHSSSSS

AAAYYYEEE OOOHHHH RRRRAAABBBIIITTT PPPRRROOOOFFFFF

AAAAYYYYYEEE OOOHHHHHHHHHH RRRRAAAABBBBBIIIITTTTTT PROOF

SOUTH SYDNEY CLAP CLAP CLAP

DRIVE EM BACK HIT EM HARD

AND AGAIN LINE SPEED SOUTHS LINE SPEED DEFEND LIKE YOUR LIVES DEPEND ON IT AND HOLD ON TIL HELP ARRIVES

BBBBOOOOO GGGEETTT EEMMMMM OOONNSSSSIIDDDDEEE

SSTID SSTID I KNOW WE ARE WE’RE SURE WE ARE SSTWD

I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN

GOOOOO SOUTH SYDNEY

GGGOOOOO SOUTH SYDNEY

WALKING ALONG SINGING A SONG SINGING GLORY GLORY GLORY ALL TYE WAY

THERE IS ONLY ONE ADAM REYNOLDS ONE AADDDAAAMMMM RREEEYYYYNNNNOOOLLLDDDSSS

Not sticking up for them but Cordner, Friend Jmoz & Bmoz have retired
Liu has left
Ikavalu hasn’t been resigned

In saying that they have resigned a few players
But we all know Uncle Nick knows how to work with his $$
The players re-signed were not on big money though- i.e Baker/E Butcher/Whyte who was on a development contract and Watson signed for a lot less than the Knights offered- N Butcher and Tupou had small upgrades-Not always about the money it's improving as a player and being at a club that will be a finals and premiership contender

Last edited:
Cmon guys come into the Souths and Manly prelim thread apart from me and Callmack it is really quiet. Let’s worry about next year after the season is over for now let’s focus all our energy into tomorrow. Callmack and I are fired up and raring to go but we need help. Let’s show LU that we are the most passionate supporter base as right now the game week thread is owe so quiet you wouldn’t know their is an enormous game on tomorrow. All that matters now is triumphing come the 80th min tomorrow.

GLORY GLORY FFFIIIIRRREEEEEEE UUUUUPPPPPPPPP

SOUTH SYDNEY MARCHES ON

RRRAAAABBBBBIIITTTTOOOHHHSSS

RRRRAAABBBBBBIIITTTOOOOHHHSSSSS

AAAYYYEEE OOOHHHH RRRRAAABBBIIITTT PPPRRROOOOFFFFF

AAAAYYYYYEEE OOOHHHHHHHHHH RRRRAAAABBBBBIIIITTTTTT PROOF

DRIVE EM BACK HIT EM HARD

AND AGAIN LINE SPEED SOUTHS LINE SPEED DEFEND LIKE YOUR LIVES DEPEND ON IT AND HOLD ON TIL HELP ARRIVES

BBBBOOOOO GGGEETTT EEMMMMM OOONNSSSSIIDDDDEEE

SSTID SSTID I KNOW WE ARE WE’RE SURE WE ARE SSTWD

GOOOOO SOUTH SYDNEY

GGGOOOOO SOUTH SYDNEY

WALKING ALONG SINGING A SONG SINGING GLORY GLORY GLORY ALL TYE WAY

THERE IS ONLY ONE ADAM REYNOLDS ONE AADDDAAAMMMM RREEEYYYYNNNNOOOLLLDDDSSS
And he (Reynolds) is Brisbane Bound :)

Rabbits20

Immortal
Phil Rothfield
Sports Editor-at-Large
September 23, 2021 - 7:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Two local juniors and club captains forced out of Souths over money. Mario Fenech has spoken out about Adam Reynolds’ South Sydney exit.

Footy legend Mario Fenech still remembers the day he broke down and wept at being forced to quit his beloved South Sydney Rabbitohs.

It’s why he can relate to the emotions that halfback and skipper Adam Reynolds will be experiencing as he prepares for Friday’s grand final qualifier against the Manly Sea Eagles – and possibly his last game in the famous old red and green jersey.

These two South Sydney icons share remarkably similar stories - local boys and captains, both forced out towards the end of their careers over money.

Fenech a Mascot junior, Reynolds from Alexandria Rovers.

In a rare interview, Fenech spoke of his admiration for Reynolds and the professional manner in which he has handled the most difficult period of his career.

Fenech has battled recent health problems as a result of concussions and his fearless style of footy from an era when high tackles and head shots were just accepted as part of the game.

But he remains remarkably switched on when you talk footy and his Rabbitohs.

“I’m disappointed Reyno is leaving,” Fenech said, “It’s exactly the same as me 30 years ago. I was there for 10 years but they couldn’t afford to keep me.

“I know what it means. I was shattered. I cried because I wanted to be a one-club player.

“Reyno is an amazing playmaker, he’s got a great kicking game, he can tackle and he’s a leader.

“We’ll miss him but we’ve got a strong junior league and we’ll fill the void.”

The difference in their stories is that Souths finished with the wooden spoon in Fenech’s last year in 1990 before he headed off to the North Sydney Bears.

They had been minor premiers in 1989 but bounced out of the finals with two straight losses and he never won a grand final.

Now 59, Fenech watches every Souths game and as much NRL as he can.

And he is quick to applaud the NRL’s crackdown on head high tackles this year to protect the next generation of footy players.

“In the 80s and 90s you got bashed around,” he said, “It was kill or be killed.

“It’s (crackdown) been a great thing for the game.

“My father even went and saw the NRL one day when I was getting concussed all the time.

“He said to them ‘what are you doing. This stuff has got to stop.’

“Imagine if your son was playing rugby league and getting smashed around the head all the time.”

Fenech is reluctant to talk about his health issues.

“There are times I don’t feel great,” he says, “It’s something I’ve got to accept.

“I’m happy and I train regularly because staying physically fit is really important.”

All he’s worried about right now is this Manly game.

“We’ve got Wayne and we’ll win if we turn up and play to the best of our ability,” he said.