What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RLWC (C) Wk1 - NZL 34-12 LBN @ Warrington

Smug Panther

First Grade
Manu played very well and is talented, but FMD the people who write the game summaries on the Fox Sports website are sensationalist trash. Yet again saying after Manu's performance that the Roosters have a "dilemma" in keeping Tedesco, Manu and Suaalii happy as only one of them can play fullback for the Roosters in 2023. I'll bet they are all losing sleep over it :rolleyes:
Suaalii is a bum fullback

Suaalii is a bum fullback

He's still learning his trade. He may have played fullback in juniors and lower grades, but that is not doing it consistently at NRL level. Only people at Fox Sports keep pushing this line about his "burning" desire to play fullback line.

I can remember when Anthony Minichiello started playing first grade, and a number of Roosters fans thought he was a poor player even though he played on the wing for his first 3 seasons of first grade. He only started playing fullback when Luke Phillips' shoulder injury wound up forcing him to retire, and Phillips gave Mini a lot of help in him transitioning to the position of fullback (which Mini then imparted to RTS). Suaallii needs similar seasoning and development.

Last edited:
He's still learning his trade. He may have played fullback in juniors and lower grades, but that is not doing it consistently at NRL level. Only people at Fox Sports keep pushing this line about his "burning" desire to play fullback line.

I can remember when Anthony Minichiello started playing first grade, and a number of Roosters fans thought he was a poor player even though he played on the wing for his first 3 seasons of first grade. He only started playing fullback when Luke Phillips' shoulder injury wound up forcing him to retire, and Phillips gave Mini a lot of help in him transitioning to the position of fullback (which Mini then imparted to RTS). Suaallii needs similar seasoning and development.
Who's the better fullback prospect though? It looks to be Manu by a country mile. The guy who "discovered" Suaalii may have to rethink his position.

This Year?

Immortal
I felt that NZ played a bit flat. Their backline is going to take some time to gel. The Cedars play a tough brand of footy much like PNG and punched above their weight until Doueihi got himself sent off. That 2nd try of Manu made me want to like him again but I just can't. NAS is still scum and it's an embarrassment having Grant Atkins on the field at a World Cup.

Who's the better fullback prospect though? It looks to be Manu by a country mile. The guy who "discovered" Suaalii may have to rethink his position.

Manu is 26 years old and has been playing first grade since 2016. His first NRL game at fullback wasn't until June 2019. He's played 10 games at fullback, 13 on the wing, 4 at five eight and 114 at centre (this is NRL games so fcar).

Suaalii is 18 years old and has been playing first grade for 2 seasons, one of which only saw him play 5 games before injury cut him down. He's played a grand total of 20 games on the wing, 4 in the centres and part of a finals game at fullback. Suaalii has a lot of growing to do yet in terms of adjusting to first grade, let alone playing fullback.

Perth Red

Post Whore
just watched it, thought Lebanon played really well and only at around 55mins game got away from them. lots of positives for Lebanon against a very strong nz side. Nz bit rusty and will only get better as tournament progresses.

Apparently all Doueihi said was “Give us some f**king calls.”

If true, Atkins should be sacked on the spot and sent to resiliency training. Fair dinkum.

He would have been guilt of misconduct under the laws of the game as he would have breached 2 parts of the law (reproduced as follows)-

Definition of misconduct 1. A player is guilty of misconduct if he:

(a) trips, kicks or strikes another player.

(b) when effecting or attempting to effect a tackle makes contact with the head or neck of an opponent intentionally, recklessly or carelessly.

(c) drops knees first on to an opponent who is on the ground

(d) uses any dangerous throw when effecting a tackle.

(e) deliberately and continuously breaks the Laws of the Game.

*(f) uses offensive or obscene language.

*(g) disputes a decision of the Referee or Touch Judge.

(h) re-enters the field of play without the permission of the Referee or a Touch Judge having previously temporarily retired from the game.

(i) behaves in any way contrary to the true spirit of the game.

(j) deliberately obstructs an opponent who is not in possession.

(k) Uses a shoulder charge on an opponent.

He clearly breached (f) and (g).

Game_Breaker

Coach
He would have been guilt of misconduct under the laws of the game as he would have breached 2 parts of the law (reproduced as follows)-

Definition of misconduct 1. A player is guilty of misconduct if he:

(a) trips, kicks or strikes another player.

(b) when effecting or attempting to effect a tackle makes contact with the head or neck of an opponent intentionally, recklessly or carelessly.

(c) drops knees first on to an opponent who is on the ground

(d) uses any dangerous throw when effecting a tackle.

(e) deliberately and continuously breaks the Laws of the Game.

*(f) uses offensive or obscene language.

*(g) disputes a decision of the Referee or Touch Judge.

(h) re-enters the field of play without the permission of the Referee or a Touch Judge having previously temporarily retired from the game.

(i) behaves in any way contrary to the true spirit of the game.

(j) deliberately obstructs an opponent who is not in possession.

(k) Uses a shoulder charge on an opponent.

He clearly breached (f) and (g).

I guess Doueihi was the only player on the field who swore and disputed a decision
Very rare for a player to do that

Apparently all Doueihi said was “Give us some f**king calls.”

If true, Atkins should be sacked on the spot and sent to resiliency training. Fair dinkum.
Yeah he’s the worst kind of referee , typically one sided and cannot take any criticism