What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 - First - Last. Or somewhere in between.

Dragon David

First Grade
I think our attack across the park will be better this time. We have more strike in the edges with Sua, Burns, and also a more confident Bird. Having Suli replace Beale is a big plus. Lomax, Rav and Hunt are good attacking weapons and just need to stay on the park. Plus the young guns too, but that goes without saying.

My biggest concern is defence. We lose numbers far too often, especially around the ruck. I'm hoping the improved middle fixes this otherwise we will be chasing points again.
You are right about our defence Spazer. It was horrendous last season. I am very sure that this will improve during the coming season. Hook has identified it and would have been working on it and this is why they have bought the likes of Su'a and Molo and the other newbies. De Belin will be much better for the run last year and he will definitely be defending a lot tighter and doing just a little less because of the others doing more.

Penrith won the comp last year because of their defence in the finals and Grand final. Great defence wins matches. As kit66 mentioned, Dufty's attack and try assists will be missed but we won't miss his poor defence. Our attack will be much better this year together with better defence.

Dragon David

First Grade
Won't matter if we don't fix our f**king discipline and 6 agains
Yes you are right saints4ever. If we lack discipline and give too many penalties and we give too many 6 agains to the opposition, our defence will suffer as the players will tire quicker and allow tries to be scored against us and also tire us to enable us to attack.

The players will have to get the right balance with all disciplines. Just concentrate and focus in every aspect of their game.

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree with the view that the Dragons attack will be better - that to me equates to more opportunities at scoring tries .

Our defense I believe will be the biggest improvement , with the likes of S’ua , Molo , Simms and JDB ( all the better in his 2nd full season ) should ensure that the team will no longer be pushed around the park .

However , as already pointed out by others , Griffin will need to ensure that the players have the right mind-set and discipline for the recipe to come together .

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Well,let's hope we get a fair go from the referees. Last year we were punished by the referees.....It was like they had a vendetta against the Dragons..😡
Well our dopey game awareness & lack of ball control gave them the ammunition for punishment.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes, forgot about the refs. We might be able to do the right things that most here have just raised. We can do all the right things, but the bounce of the ball and getting just a little more than a fair share of "good" refereeing decisions our way is what we also need. A good rub of the green our way for a change.

SGMax

Juniors
Every so often we come against an opponent that makes handling errors and has poor discipline and is defending flat footed and you realise how much better our team looks and how much less pressure there is when you play against Dragons footy.
For every set in attack and every minute in the other teams half you reduce their opportunity to play attacking footy and score on you.

Hopefully this year's team will not be making it so easy for the opposition to look good.
Even though there are questions over some / most of the players recruited I see a significant overall improvement and far greater depth.
I believe we are better equipped to handle injuries, suspensions and covid disruptions than most other clubs.

Dragon David

First Grade
The key to our success is as per the above and if we can have most of our players injury free and suspension free and be on the field almost every week then players like Rava,, Hunt, Suli, Lomax, Sloan, Sullivan and several of the bigger, tougher forwards should help us win more games. Before the BBQ fiasco, we weren't doing too badly but when we had to suspend a couple of players each week for 7 or so weeks, that did us. So, if there is none of this rubbish occurring this season, then we will be much more formidable and dominant. Just ask Hook.

I see us finishing between 6-8.

We have bigger, better forward depth.

Molo, Woods, Burgess and Sua are welcome additions.

Rather than constantly being on the back foot, the big units should get us over the advantage line providing time and space for our halves.

The juniors have had a taste of first grade and will improve further.

Bird and JDB should be fitter.

The remaining deadwood in the forwards will either compete hard for a spot in the top 17, or will seek greener pastures.

Saints will improve significantly in 2022.

Dragon David

First Grade
There should be a lot of improvement, bolstered by new signings, so top eight is on the cards. To balance that though, other clubs have recruited well, notably the Bulldogs, so its going to be interesting.
I'm thinking there will be a lot of closer scores in games this year so the rub of the green will be very important and of course not giving away too many penalties etc.

SBD82

Coach
The optimism of the offseason is a wondrous thing to behold.

i wouldn’t be shocked if we make the 8, but we are a middling team at absolute best.

And people talking up Woods? He’s a penalty magnet who was too slow in the ruck before the game sped up. With the new interpretations he’s a deadset liability.

be55

Juniors
And people talking up Woods? He’s a penalty magnet who was too slow in the ruck before the game sped up. With the new interpretations he’s a deadset liability.
Spot on mate...

I don't really know how he will go, but my opinion is that the play on the field has sped up so much, the game has moved passed slow plodding forwards like him. But what amazes me is the response from some of the forum members.

Can you just imagine if it had been McGregor that signed Aaron Woods, the forum would have gone into complete meltdown.

I think certain posters would give the tick of approval to anything Griffin does.

Time will tell if he is a handy pick up or a wasted spot on the roster...

randomdragon

Juniors
Spot on mate...

I don't really know how he will go, but my opinion is that the play on the field has sped up so much, the game has moved passed slow plodding forwards like him. But what amazes me is the response from some of the forum members.

Can you just imagine if it had been McGregor that signed Aaron Woods, the forum would have gone into complete meltdown.

I think certain posters would give the tick of approval to anything Griffin does.

Time will tell if he is a handy pick up or a wasted spot on the roster...
I’d rather a coach sign woods than latimore… the hate for him needs to be justified by stats. The truth is the stats are only a positive for him

Latest posts