What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 - First - Last. Or somewhere in between.

Gareth67

First Grade
Well we have all heard of the old saying - ‘ Where’s there fire there’s smoke ‘ - or was that - ‘ where there’s smoke there’s fire ‘ er well whatever , you chaps know what I mean .

The point is that Gus does get things right occasionally and in this instance the man is right . The Dragons wont be last or second last , our boys will be close to the final eight in 2022 .

The depth is there , it is all about their discipline , mind-set and just how quickly the team gels together . If the refs are fair ( 😳 ) and if we are able to remain relatively injury free , then the they will be in the fight at seasons end .

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Well we have all heard of the old saying - ‘ Where’s there fire there’s smoke ‘ - or was that - ‘ where there’s smoke there’s fire ‘ er well whatever , you chaps know what I mean .

The point is that Gus does get things right occasionally and in this instance the mans is right . The Dragons wont be last or second last , our boys will be close to the final eight in 2022 .

The depth is there , it is all about their discipline , mind-set and just how quickly the team gels together . If the refs are fair ( 😳 ) and if we are able to remain relatively injury free , then the they will be in the fight at seasons end .
I know that a team has got to come last, but it won't be the Dragons. There is no way that this will happen. We have a stronger team than last year and even allowing for other teams also being stronger, I cannot see us down in last place. Our defence will be much improved I have no doubt and that will be the key.

A lot can happen during the season and it is up to the men on the field to maintain discipline and skill and focus throughout the year.

BLM01

First Grade
Also what might sway hook to play/not to play woods is the fact that if he plays X amount of games he gets resigned for the year after. May want to use him sparingly to not trigger this
Does not Woods have an option for a 2nd year in his favour?.. or are you saying he has got to play X games to trigger that

Last edited:

Dracarys

Juniors
I’d be telling Woods to forget the offloads and concentrate on metres & finding the ground. He’s a big awkward thing and needs to keep it simple. Same with GeorgeB.

Gareth67

First Grade
On radio this morning they said someone had $27k on us to make the 8 at $4-50.
And a further $20 k at $4-30.
Laurie Daley said all will have to go right for us to make it.
That means we are specials.

Good old Laurie , the blokes grey matter thinned-out when his hair did . Still I believe that everything will need to go right for the majority of teams this season - not only the Dragons , more so when you take the covid situation into account .

Injuries and suspensions are of course the other major stumbling block , at least here at the Big Red V Griffin has covered that with an abundance of very experienced players .

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Good old Laurie , the blokes grey matter thinned-out when his hair did . Still I believe that everything will need to go right for the majority of teams this season - not only the Dragons , more so when you take the covid situation into account .

Injuries of course are the other stumbling block , at least here at the Big Red V Griffin has covered that with an abundance of very experienced players .
Our depth is far better this year as compared to last year that is for sure. I heard that Covid has affected about 80% of players and this is well and truly before the comp has started. Luck plays a big part in sports so I'm hoping that we have tons of it to keep our players on the field as we had little of that last year. If we can keep nearly all of the same 18 in the team each week, it will get the combinations between the backs and forwards working well.

Gareth67

First Grade
Our depth is far better this year as compared to last year that is for sure. I heard that Covid has affected about 80% of players and this is well and truly before the comp has started. Luck plays a big part in sports so I'm hoping that we have tons of it to keep our players on the field as we had little of that last year. If we can keep nearly all of the same 18 in the team each week, it will get the combinations between the backs and forwards working well.
Yes Dave , luck and and being on a equal footing with other clubs as far as the refs are concerned .

There is little doubt in my mind that our boys were ‘ fair game ‘ last season , there were occasions when they deserved be penalized , but quite a few of ‘ the man in the middle ‘ decisions left our blokes with a date at the judiciary who were merciless in their adjudication .

All I ask is that our boys are treated fairly , it is a new season and the Dragon players and fans deserve to be able to look towards a successful outcome without the judiciary railroading us off the path .

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes Dave , luck and and being on a equal footing with other clubs as far as the refs are concerned .

There is little doubt in my mind that our boys were ‘ fair game ‘ last season , there were occasions when they deserved be penalized , but quite a few of ‘ the man in the middle ‘ decisions left our blokes with a date at the judiciary who were merciless in their adjudication .

All I ask is that our boys are treated fairly , it is a new season and the Dragon players and fans deserve to be able to look towards a successful outcome without the judiciary railroading us off the path .
A big tick from me Gareth.

denis preston

First Grade
Spot on mate...

I don't really know how he will go, but my opinion is that the play on the field has sped up so much, the game has moved passed slow plodding forwards like him. But what amazes me is the response from some of the forum members.

Can you just imagine if it had been McGregor that signed Aaron Woods, the forum would have gone into complete meltdown.

I think certain posters would give the tick of approval to anything Griffin does.

Time will tell if he is a handy pick up or a wasted spot on the roster...
And certain posters cant see any positive things Griffin does.

denis preston

First Grade
Woods 2021, started all 24 games - 12 penalties, not great but not that bad either for a big fella, 4 Ruck infringements and just 2 "inside 10 metres" so he's no slouch getting back on side. So not really a penalty magnet and more importantly he's definitely not a Judiciary magnet. He did have his good points too, first prop picked every week, consistently made considerably more metres and pcm's than his prop partners - starters or bench (except Rudolph's 3 games there), few missed tackles, 18 off-loads, pretty quick play the balls and very few handling errors. In fact his stats overall are better than any STI forward.
I have my misgivings about some of our new recruits but Woods isn't one of them. Of all of them he's the most experienced by far, most consistent, least of an injury concern and exactly what we've been missing up front. Hardly a liability. A bargain priced topline prop, fkn yeah woo ! I'm really happy he'll be in a Dragons' jersey this year, can't wait.

This site is great for anyone missing the good old days of dial up. Fair dinkum.
O Kit, backing up your response with actual stats !!. You'll get banned from here for doing that !

randomdragon

Juniors
Just on the team for next year, do people think hunt and Amone will swap sides in defence? Let sua Rav and lomax defend with Amone (considering hunt is a good defender) and put hunt on the other side with most likely sims suli and Ramsey?

FlameThrower

Bench
We won’t come last, but I can’t see us making the 8 though. Too much team churn, with some very old players as well as some very young players in the mix. We have a history of good starts then fade after 6-8 rounds. I have not seen a fully unified and focused Dragons team since 2011. We fix up the basics, have some luck with an injury free team, we may do Ok. The COVID factor is unknown and may stuff all teams up though…