What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

The_Wookie

Bench
This is a weird graph. The graph only shows the asset value but the tables show all different things but it’s presented like that’s all shown in the graph.

From what I can tell there the AFL have far more liabilities and loans which at first glance is presented as a good thing.

The graph is presented like it’s a sum total of those things but only seems to be about total asset value.

You mean like how the title of the graph literally says total assets. Thats all the graph represents. The tables attached show the 2021 positions of those categories.

The_Wookie

Bench
Its really just showing net asset base as a total. Thing to remember is a big chunk of AFL's asset is Marvel stadium and a big chunk of their liability is a mortgage for that. As they pay down on that mortgage and marvel value keeps climbing their net asset total will grow significantly. I think we have seen it wise for a sport to have around $150mill cash equity available in case of emergency, then build up a revenue generating asset base for better credit rating should bad times hit and to obviously generate more profit the game can then reinvest. NRL's hotel purchase is the first investment I know of that the sport has made beyond its own internal areas like digital?

Actually due to changes in accounting standards in 2019, most of the AFLs liabilities are lease liabilities. Theres only 90m in interest bearing loans.

The lease liability represents the obligation to make lease payments and is measured at the present value of future lease payments.

Wb1234

Referee
Both codes have similar net equity but afl has a whole lot more leverage

given the afl has received 2 billion more in revenue than rugby league to have similar net assets shows how costly clubs like the lions suns and gws are to afl finances

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Although I will add it is getting better or will be until their new deal comes in and then it is back to square one. If V’Landys does magically have an ace up his sleeve then that would be great
There is definitely a pattern there which is interesting in itself. It appears that despite fumbleball getting the jump on us several times, several times we have wound them back in. Especially when one considers the numerous blunders our game has made and the handbrake being applied due to our unhealthy entanglement with Foxtel.

If I had to make one point of speculation it makes me wonder how many Rugby League loving CEO`s and Board members are out there who feel exactly the same way about fumbleball as we do, and when push comes to shove are stumping up that extra growth in revenue to counter the fumbleball encroachment.

Wb1234

Referee
There is definitely a pattern there which is interesting in itself. It appears that despite fumbleball getting the jump on us several times, several times we have wound them back in. Especially when one considers the numerous blunders our game has made and the handbrake being applied due to our unhealthy entanglement with Foxtel.

If I had to make one point of speculation it makes me wonder how many Rugby League loving CEO`s and Board members are out there who feel exactly the same way about fumbleball as we do, and when push comes to shove are stumping up that extra growth in revenue to counter the fumbleball encroachment.
Doubt it they would be union flogs and probably go watch the swans cause it’s cool

that’s a real area of weakness for league is corporate support compared to afl and union.

when’s the last time we got a blue chip sponsor for the game

Perth Red

Post Whore

$2bill more revenue in 10 years. How do you figure we are closing any gap? That gap has just gone through the roof again, going up another $70mill a year next 2 years and a ridiculous amount after that.

Iamback

Coach
Doubt it they would be union flogs and probably go watch the swans cause it’s cool

that’s a real area of weakness for league is corporate support compared to afl and union.

when’s the last time we got a blue chip sponsor for the game

That is why the AFL v RL comparison's are dumb
RU takes sponsors from RL, Very hard to break that private school network

Perth Red

Post Whore
That is why the AFL v RL comparison's are dumb
RU takes sponsors from RL, Very hard to break that private school network
Doesn’t explain things like why we are ok with telstra paying $12mill for naming rights when afl gets $21mill for their naming rights? Is their competition worth $9mill a year more to be associated with as naming sponsor?

Colk

First Grade
$2bill more revenue in 10 years. How do you figure we are closing any gap? That gap has just gone through the roof again, going up another $70mill a year next 2 years and a ridiculous amount after that.

There is a pattern there if you care to actually analyse the graph. Nevertheless the difference in the two TV deals will nearly put the game back to where it was in terms of revenue difference.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There is a pattern there if you care to actually analyse the graph. Nevertheless the difference in the two TV deals will nearly put the game back to where it was in terms of revenue difference.
The only pattern is in them having their tv deal kick in a year earlier than ours. If you look at the gap like for like when both codes have their new tv revenue the gap remains pretty consistent for each duration of the respective tv deals.

Iamback

Coach
Doesn’t explain things like why we are ok with telstra paying $12mill for naming rights when afl gets $21mill for their naming rights? Is their competition worth $9mill a year more to be associated with as naming sponsor?

You have banged on about the 5 capital city reach, So why would it not be worth more in that case?

The Broncos probably have the most pull of the NRL sides

Adelaide and WC atleast match that. Not sure Port or Fremantle are at that level but you have huge clubs in every city.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You have banged on about the 5 capital city reach, So why would it not be worth more in that case?

The Broncos probably have the most pull of the NRL sides

Adelaide and WC atleast match that. Not sure Port or Fremantle are at that level but you have huge clubs in every city.
So is it union or capital city reach that is holding us back? You seem confused?

Iamback

Coach
So is it union or capital city reach that is holding us back? You seem confused?

Why can't it be both?

How many Blue chip company board members haven't been privately Educated? These schools are linked to RU so hence if they spend there to capture the QLD/NSW market.

AFL goes for 30 weeks of the year, Longer if they play AFLW out of season. So why would they not align with it to get the Perth and Adelaide markets too?

Australia is a relatively small country and has multiple sports vying for the same corporate dollar, Hence why NRL having regional sides is important to hit areas that are under represented

mongoose

Coach
Wow $2B more pumped into the AFL vs NRL.

As we all suspected one code is very big the other is tiny.

lol i guess its like comparing Earth to Mars and thinking you're much bigger....except both very very tiny compared to Jupiter or the Sun. Jupiter is NFL and the Sun is EPL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why can't it be both?

How many Blue chip company board members haven't been privately Educated? These schools are linked to RU so hence if they spend there to capture the QLD/NSW market.

AFL goes for 30 weeks of the year, Longer if they play AFLW out of season. So why would they not align with it to get the Perth and Adelaide markets too?

Australia is a relatively small country and has multiple sports vying for the same corporate dollar, Hence why NRL having regional sides is important to hit areas that are under represented
I'm sure it is both to a greater or lessor degree. At least we can do something about the metro reach, the union/class problem is a much longer term solution. Unfortunately with regional spend only accounting for 10% our over representation of regional sides in the comp is one of the reasons we struggle financially to raise the same revenue Id suggest. Its a strength and a weakness.