What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 R1 Thu - Penrith 28-6 Manly @ BlueBet

Round 1: Penrith v Manly

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frailty

First Grade
The Manly defence reminded me of the Sharks defence from the last few seasons. Little to no line speed, lazy middles, and a lot of missed tackles. They couldn't get in the game because they were just giving away territory constantly.

The concern I would have for Manly, aside from this, is that their attack looked slow and predictable. Whilst it could definitely be because they were getting dominated, it didn't help that Des is still rocking his "forward at first receiver for a backline movement". The speed from Jake T meant there was little chance for the outside men.

Sean O'Sullivan did what he had to. Played behind a dominant attack, and got the ball where it needed to go. If he wasn't such a wanker, I'd enjoy watching Kikau much more. Presence made the outside defence over commit which exposed Manly's lazy middles.

I saw a lot of criticism at Tom T and Cherry-Evans, but it wasn't really a game they could get into. Tommy T rarely had any kick returns, let alone with a small bit of space. Cherry-Evans was kicking constantly from his own 30-40m line - perhaps he could have seen Manly getting smashed in the middle and spread it earlier but I think they were a bit shell shocked.

coolumsharkie

Referee
The Manly defence reminded me of the Sharks defence from the last few seasons. Little to no line speed, lazy middles, and a lot of missed tackles. They couldn't get in the game because they were just giving away territory constantly.

The concern I would have for Manly, aside from this, is that their attack looked slow and predictable. Whilst it could definitely be because they were getting dominated, it didn't help that Des is still rocking his "forward at first receiver for a backline movement". The speed from Jake T meant there was little chance for the outside men.

Sean O'Sullivan did what he had to. Played behind a dominant attack, and got the ball where it needed to go. If he wasn't such a wanker, I'd enjoy watching Kikau much more. Presence made the outside defence over commit which exposed Manly's lazy middles.

I saw a lot of criticism at Tom T and Cherry-Evans, but it wasn't really a game they could get into. Tommy T rarely had any kick returns, let alone with a small bit of space. Cherry-Evans was kicking constantly from his own 30-40m line - perhaps he could have seen Manly getting smashed in the middle and spread it earlier but I think they were a bit shell shocked.
Don't talk footy in here Frailty, joke posts only. Got it?

GongPanther

Referee
Full credit to the Pennies, they came with a game plan and executed it perfectly. Kept Turbo right out of it, gave Saab zero breathing room, controlled the ball and scored points when opportunities came.
I thought with the new players like SoS and Tago, we would have been a tad clunky especially when some of the players had not played in any trials.

But the way the Panthers played in that first half, and went on with it in the second half, was an absolute surprise.

big hit!

Bench
The older I get the more I see kick chase as the key.

Just strangle them, it is how we won, and Penrith, Melbourne, Roosters lead the way lately.

It is why Australia won for so many years, just so hard to score against.

As for Matt Nable, first time viewing just fine, but it becomes relentless, the boxing ads are worse they last months.

We worry about concussions, boxing that is the goal.

All the little one-percenters are key.

Everyone loves to see the TPJ or Fifita bullocking runs and think you need those guys in your team. Well yes, to a point. But if they're lazy in other facets in the game, then you going to consistently win with them?

This is where the historically good teams are relentless. Kick-chase, dominating the tackle and controlling the ruck, line speed, finding your front for a QPTB and minimising errors and penalties. This are the mundane but repetitive processes head coaches try and drill into their players, because it is what wins matches.

Folks say Penrith are fit. Well, yes to a point. What they really do well are those things in the paragraph above really well. It means they don't have to waste needless energy which means they can maintain their intensity for a whole match.

You'll find that winning teams actually waste less energy overall.

GongPanther

Referee
Very impressive from Penrith. They roll you through the middle and don’t make mistakes down their own end. It seems impossible to get any good possession against them. Looks like another huge season for them.

Great to see Manly coming last as well. May it continue.
Thanks mozz. Hope Newcy turn it around for you and the Knights fans. Far too long a good league team town in not to have success.

soc123_au

Staff member

Your post is spot on, but the highlighted gave me a chuckle. Pretty much all our attack came off the back of exactly that. Yeo is an outlier though. The work he does creating space for the halves is a huge luxury. If he had a kicking game he could be a rep level half I have no doubt. I dont know what the go is with Jake T, his form has gone off a cliff, hopefully he comes good as he is great to watch when he is on.

GongPanther

Referee
All the little one-percenters are key.

Everyone loves to see the TPJ or Fifita bullocking runs and think you need those guys in your team. Well yes, to a point. But if they're lazy in other facets in the game, then you going to consistently win with them?

This is where the historically good teams are relentless. Kick-chase, dominating the tackle and controlling the ruck, line speed, finding your front for a QPTB and minimising errors and penalties. This are the mundane but repetitive processes head coaches try and drill into their players, because it is what wins matches.

Folks say Penrith are fit. Well, yes to a point. What they really do well are those things in the paragraph above really well. It means they don't have to waste needless energy which means they can maintain their intensity for a whole match.

Very good observation.And I'll add having played with each other for years and understanding each others game.

A lot of history has some to this point of last year's GF win, and the promotion of the new guys to which 3 of them have come "home".

Based on what I saw last night, I suspect Manly will bge similar to 2021 - good agaionst the weaker teams but struggle against many of the finals contenders. In my opinion they do not have enough talent spread through out their squad, and its starting hooker is not as good as those at rival clubs.

Munky

Coach
Turbo still went straight through on the two occasions he was given an inch.

Harper and Parker stunt the Manly attack, neither has explosive acceleration, speed or power. Teams can commit more to Turbo knowing the man outside him can be rounded up or won't break a poorly set tackle.

In some attacking sets Yeo wasn't getting into position until the backs rucking it out had made thirty metres and crossed into the attacking half.

Easy to conserve energy when you can have the trust in the system that you won't be needed early in the set

It compounds so well off a strong defensive set in tiring the opposition out when executed properly.

Turbo still went straight through on the two occasions he was given an inch.

Harper and Parker stunt the Manly attack, neither has explosive acceleration, speed or power. Teams can commit more to Turbo knowing the man outside him can be rounded up or won't break a poorly set tackle.

In some attacking sets Yeo wasn't getting into position until the backs rucking it out had made thirty metres and crossed into the attacking half.

Easy to conserve energy when you can have the trust in the system that you won't be needed early in the set

It compounds so well off a strong defensive set in tiring the opposition out when executed properly.
In the NFL they call it complimentary football. The Penrith game plan is simple.
- kick into the corners; trap the opposition.
- rush up in defence. Hold the opposition up, push them back. Slower play the ball and less distance to get back allows a slight pause before the next play which means players can give additional effort every play.
- force them to kick from inside their forty. Kick to our back three who are less skilful than other teams, but robust and fit.
- Have the outside backs bring it out for 2-4 tackles. Forwards can recover ready for the next phase.
- repeat until the other team makes an error or we are in an attacking position.

It requires fitness, discipline and personal accountability. Five years ago those are not words you would associate with Penrith, but Ivan has done a great job changing the culture.