What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Rabbitohs Pre-Season

Inkers75

Juniors
Watched Souths v Dragons yesterday in the pre-season friendly. I never read too much into these games really it's all about getting match fit.
Some dodgy 80's mullets flying around I noticed!

southsport

First Grade
Watched Souths v Dragons yesterday in the pre-season friendly. I never read too much into these games really it's all about getting match fit.
Some dodgy 80's mullets flying around I noticed!
Agree, we spilled a bit too much ball, it looked like souths treated it as a trial and saints wanted it more.

Rabbits20

Immortal
NRL 2022 launch: Cameron Murray reveals what he wants from Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker at Souths

Cool-headed Cameron Murray shows exactly why he is the right man to be taking over from Adam Reynolds with some simple advice for Latrell and Cody, writes Paul Crawley.
March 3, 2022 - 6:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

New South Sydney skipper Cameron Murray says Latrell Mitchell is fully aware “for us to be successful he needs to spend as much time as he can on the field”.

It comes in the wake of the Rabbitohs superstar fullback’s comments last week where he basically threatened not to pull back his aggression, while taking a crack at the modern game for going soft.

Murray also had his say on “the fine line” Cody Walker walks on the field, but why it is equally important for him not to lose his passion.

Mitchell has already lit a fuse for what could be an explosive return from his six-match suspension for smashing Joey Manu’s cheekbone when he likened it to “Oztag”.

But the fact of the matter is that with so much focus on player safety these days the game is not going to go back in time, and there is no doubt Latrell’s absence in the grand final may have ultimately cost Souths a premiership.

However, Murray showed exactly why he is the right man to be taking over from Adam Reynolds when he sent out his own subtle message without throwing his teammate under the bus.

“I think Latrell’s actions do the talking,” Murray said.

“I know he is itching to get back out there and I know that he knows, for us to be successful, he needs to spend as much time as he can on the field.”

Murray concedes “it is a fine line” with a small margin for error.

“Yeah, there is (a fine line),” he continued.

"Latrell, and I know everyone from our club, don’t go out there with malice. And they don’t go out there to hurt people or hit them high or injure someone.

"They go out there to show aggression and try to get on top of the other side through that aggression and through that dominance.

“It is a fine line.”

Asked if he thinks Latrell understands he needs to change some things so he stays on the field, Murray could not have been more honest: "I don’t know. I haven’t thought too much about it.

"But I just know Latrell knows that he needs to be on the field.

"So, I know he is going to be doing everything to make sure he is doing what it takes to do his role as best he can and make our team successful.

“How that plays out, I guess we will just have to wait and see.”

Murray was equally supportive of his five-eighth who has also come under fire for allowing his emotions to get the better of him.

It was on show in the Charity Shield when Walker reacted to a shove by former teammate Jaydn Su’a and ended up giving away the penalty.

“There is a fine line there (also),” he conceded.

"Do you want him to change to compromise on what that side of him brings out in the good things he does? Or do you want him to change altogether and compromise the good and the bad?

"I just want our boys to be thinking that every action that they do on the field is a positive action towards their game and towards team success.

"I think everyone is continually learning about how to deal with their own emotions and how to channel those emotions in a way that is beneficial for our side.

"Cody is a passionate player, it is the same as Latrell. It is one of their best traits and assets and what they bring to our footy team.

"We are sitting here talking about some of the negatives of their game like everyone has.

"But the positives definitely outweigh (the negatives) in what they do on the field.

"Cody has had a great pre-season and I know Latrell is itching to get out there.

"I know neither of them are thinking about maybe changing some of their actions that maybe have been controversial in the past.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/162b0383d328992055ab78e3f7c799f3

callmack1

Staff member
From the Daily Telegraph,

NRL 2022 launch: Cameron Murray reveals what he wants from Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker at Souths

Cool-headed Cameron Murray shows exactly why he is the right man to be taking over from Adam Reynolds with some simple advice for Latrell and Cody, writes Paul Crawley.

New South Sydney skipper Cameron Murray says Latrell Mitchell is fully aware “for us to be successful he needs to spend as much time as he can on the field”.

It comes in the wake of the Rabbitohs superstar fullback’s comments last week where he basically threatened not to pull back his aggression, while taking a crack at the modern game for going soft.

Murray also had his say on “the fine line” Cody Walker walks on the field, but why it is equally important for him not to lose his passion.

Mitchell has already lit a fuse for what could be an explosive return from his six-match suspension for smashing Joey Manu’s cheekbone when he likened it to “Oztag”.

But the fact of the matter is that with so much focus on player safety these days the game is not going to go back in time, and there is no doubt Latrell’s absence in the grand final may have ultimately cost Souths a premiership.

However, Murray showed exactly why he is the right man to be taking over from Adam Reynolds when he sent out his own subtle message without throwing his teammate under the bus.

“I think Latrell’s actions do the talking,” Murray said.

“I know he is itching to get back out there and I know that he knows, for us to be successful, he needs to spend as much time as he can on the field.”

Murray concedes “it is a fine line” with a small margin for error.

“Yeah, there is (a fine line),” he continued.

"Latrell, and I know everyone from our club, don’t go out there with malice. And they don’t go out there to hurt people or hit them high or injure someone.

"They go out there to show aggression and try to get on top of the other side through that aggression and through that dominance.

“It is a fine line.”

Asked if he thinks Latrell understands he needs to change some things so he stays on the field, Murray could not have been more honest: "I don’t know. I haven’t thought too much about it.

"But I just know Latrell knows that he needs to be on the field.

"So, I know he is going to be doing everything to make sure he is doing what it takes to do his role as best he can and make our team successful.

“How that plays out, I guess we will just have to wait and see.”

Murray was equally supportive of his five-eighth who has also come under fire for allowing his emotions to get the better of him.

It was on show in the Charity Shield when Walker reacted to a shove by former teammate Jaydn Su’a and ended up giving away the penalty.

“There is a fine line there (also),” he conceded.

"Do you want him to change to compromise on what that side of him brings out in the good things he does? Or do you want him to change altogether and compromise the good and the bad?

"I just want our boys to be thinking that every action that they do on the field is a positive action towards their game and towards team success.

"I think everyone is continually learning about how to deal with their own emotions and how to channel those emotions in a way that is beneficial for our side.

"Cody is a passionate player, it is the same as Latrell. It is one of their best traits and assets and what they bring to our footy team.

"We are sitting here talking about some of the negatives of their game like everyone has.

"But the positives definitely outweigh (the negatives) in what they do on the field.

"Cody has had a great pre-season and I know Latrell is itching to get out there.

"I know neither of them are thinking about maybe changing some of their actions that maybe have been controversial in the past.

Latest posts